Delayed CDI failure?

GoldenMotor.com

Fun Key Bay Bee

May 18, 2013
Portland, OR
Delayed CDI failure, or carb issue?

Hello! I'm new 'round these forums, and to gas cycles, so this is also my introduction. I'm from Portland, OR, and have just built my first motorized bike. I hope to be good addition to the community here!

I've hit some snags during the build, but now I have a problem which I think needs a second opinion before I shell out more $$$.

I had the bike running fine, perfectly functional at all throttle levels. Then my engine began to sputter, and while running the engine, I noticed I only heard the sound of combustion half of the time, more so if I encouraged it with pedaling. Then it stopped. Gah!

I checked the wires running from the magneto to the cdi, aaaand I forgot to tape them down. Doh! Totally melted them against my exhaust, fusing the two black and blue wires together, shorting it out. I fixed the wires (wire was fully intact, but insulation was gone in a 1/2 inch area of the wire, so I taped the non-insulated parts and also taped the two wires away from each other just to make sure they were no longer capable of shorting.)

Fired right up! Phwew! Rode the bike for 2-3 miles then returned home. However, right when I pulled into my house, I could feel the engine dying. I tried to fire it up again, but now it doesn't even combust at all! I checked the plug for spark and it is firing, but possibly not strong enough for combustion. The wires are still fully intact too.

I read a post on here about another guy who had the exact same symptoms/possible cause as me (sputtering out and failure, caused by incorrect wiring), and a cdi replacement fixed his problem. However in my case, I had my CDI working AFTER I fixed my wires, and THEN it stopped working after a couple miles. Is it still possible that the CDI is the issue, and there was just a delay in the onset of symptoms?

Thanks in advanced for any input, and I'll see you around the forums!

-Jake

EDIT: Thanks for the replies so far.

Unfortunately, after taking the plunge and buying the CDI, it apparently wasn't the last of the problems. I'm getting strong spark, but still no ignition. Guess that means I'm not getting gas? The fuel petcock/filter assembly is good, so it must be the carb. The float isn't stuck. After a few tries to start it, I took off the carb and the neither the carb's jet or engine intake was wet with fuel. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd first try a new spark plug, as sometimes they will get fouled such that they will spark outside the engine, but under compression the spark will leak up the electrode instead of jumping the gap.

Fun Key Bay Bee

May 18, 2013
Portland, OR
Ohp, sorry forgot to mention, I tried a new spark plug first, got a shiny new NGK-B6HS. I gots spark but no ignition. :/

I should also probably mention that this is a recent development. I've already rode somewhere around 18 miles on it, then I began having troubles around the time I discovered the melted wiring.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen many CDI units that fired at the wrong time & had to be replaced - not sure if your wiring problem could have heated an internal component such that timing is now off, but trying a new CDI would be my next step.

Fun Key Bay Bee

May 18, 2013
Portland, OR
Thanks for the replies so far.

Unfortunately, after taking the plunge and buying the CDI, it apparently wasn't the last of the problems. I'm getting strong spark, but still no ignition. Guess that means I'm not getting gas? The fuel petcock/filter assembly is good, so it must be the carb. The float isn't stuck. After a few tries to start it, I took off the carb and the neither the carb's jet or engine intake was wet with fuel. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks again in advance

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
There is an inline filter screen in the petcock assembly. Remove it and install a real inline fuel filter and you shoudl be good to go.

Fun Key Bay Bee

May 18, 2013
Portland, OR
Problem solved!

I think the CDI was half the issue, cause it fires much stronger now.

The other half, I'm too embarrassed to admit. But it may or may not have everything to do with being out of fuel....

Thanks for your help!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Save the used cdi. It may not have been bad...
Don't feel too bad, most people who ride gas powered stuff either run out or forget to turn it on at least once.