80cc? Is it really? And isn't 50cc a motorcycle?

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I'm getting ready to buy my first motor kit from Powerkingshop on ebay. But I have a couple questions. Do I nessessarily want the biggest I can afford...80cc? The Michigan Secretary of State says that a Moped is anything below 50cc. I don't know how the law sees motorized bikes as compared to a moped, but I think an 80cc will be seen as a motorcycle. Me no want that!!! I don't need the fastest bike on the block (even though I would be the ONLY one), just a fun ride. .bf.And I think I read (but don't remember where) that there is no such thing as a 80cc. Its actually a smaller displacement. Whats the scoop on that.

Just looking for some friendly advice. And yes, I am sure all the answers are already posted, but I am just starting to read the forum.

Thanks..

Last edited:

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
the 80cc is actually about 65 to 68 cc's. and really, it doesnt matter TOO much, but you could notice a difference. depending on how much you weigh, you can get up to about 30 on an "80"cc.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yeah it's not an 80CC that you see out there, it is more like a 67-70cc depending on where you get it. Do more research into the legalities in your state, find out what you can and can't get away with before riding it, if a cop pulls you over and you don't know how to respond he'll probably take it.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
get the 48cc,they both go around the same speed,just the bigger one is good for larger people. if you are bigger you could use the 48cc with a larger rear sprocket for more torque plus it would be more legal then the larger one.

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I'm looking at kits from "boygofast" and "powerkingshop". It looks like the motors are pretty much the same. How do we know what company makes these motors and how they compare?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i got mine at gasbike.net and i got my kit fast and the engine runs great.

its best to read many peoples reviews before buying from anyone.
and compare prices,pictures and kit specs from many venders.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
You could get the bigger engine and, if questioned,give an honest but misleading answer:

"Officer, this is not a moped or motorcycle, but a 'motor assisted bicycle'. It's my understanding that these bikes, equipped with less than 50cc engines, are exempt from licensing/insurance requirements to which motorcycles are subject."

Heheheheh. This statement in no way asserts that YOUR engine is 50cc, and avoids the problem of lying to an officer, which would be a crime.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I live in downriver (southgate) and I have an 80cc (67cc) from bikeberry and have past more than a few police, state included they just looked and went about their job. as long as you follow the rules of the road when your on it and watch your speed on the side walks you should not have a problem.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I'm getting ready to buy my first motor kit from Powerkingshop on ebay. But I have a couple questions. Do I nessessarily want the biggest I can afford...80cc? The Michigan Secretary of State says that a Moped is anything below 50cc. I don't know how the law sees motorized bikes as compared to a moped, but I think an 80cc will be seen as a motorcycle. Me no want that!!! I don't need the fastest bike on the block (even though I would be the ONLY one), just a fun ride. .bf.And I think I read (but don't remember where) that there is no such thing as a 80cc. Its actually a smaller displacement. Whats the scoop on that.

Just looking for some friendly advice. And yes, I am sure all the answers are already posted, but I am just starting to read the forum.

Thanks..
Your 80 wieghs in for real at about 66,Im a bigger guy so I need that xtra to get my butt up the hills.
the nice chinese folk who build these figure it different than we do,I had the explanation once but I need to find it,its all over ebay,look for a 66 cc and it will be explained.there are no marks on these to identify cc so I wouldnt let it worry you.

igore

Jun 21, 2009
oregon
I'm looking at kits from "boygofast" and "powerkingshop". It looks like the motors are pretty much the same. How do we know what company makes these motors and how they compare?
got mine from boygofast and it was here in 3 days, took me a day and a half to put it together with the help of this website. The directions that came with the kit are writen in "chinglish" so forget about that. They do e mail you a pdf file that's pretty good.dance1

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash_Fall

Jun 6, 2009
ON, Canada
Hi,

I'm in Ontario Canada. They have the 49cc rule here for mopeds. There are also separate rules
for power assisted bicycles. During my build I stamped 49cc on the case just below the cylinder.
This exempted me from the displacement clause during a 'cop stop'. It also falls between the lines of a power assisted bike both because it was not manufactured as one and it isn't strictly specified
how the power is created (electric or gas). The only point the cop had against the book was the hand operated clutch. I said 'without it, it's no longer pedal propelled (by fixing it closed) or strictly pedal propelled(by fixing it open) . So it's either a motorcycle (which would stall every time you slow or stop) or a seriously overweight bicycle. When all was said and done, I rode away as legal as I was when he stopped me. Just my say on the legal 'mumbo-jumbo'.

Crash_Fall.wee.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
heres what i found on the grubee site about 80cc(66cc) engines:
By western standards the volume of the engine head combustion chamber is not figured in the displacement engine rating, however some Chinese factories include this volume in their engine displacement ratings therefore making the engine appear bigger than it actually is.

if you get stopped by a cop,how will they know its a clutch handle,it looks like a brake handle anyway.

Last edited:

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Crash',

Excellent argument. I've been worried about the clutch issue. I figured a centrifugal clutch would be the only thing that would pass muster, but your argument is a good one.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
there are no marks on these to identify cc so I wouldnt let it worry you.
The new Zoom slants heads do have a large plate on the sprocket cover with displacement and other info. Must drill out a couple rivets to remove. Small price to pay for that extra power and wide front mount.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
heres what i found on the grubee site about 80cc(66cc) engines:
By western standards the volume of the engine head combustion chamber is not figured in the displacement engine rating, however some Chinese factories include this volume in their engine displacement ratings therefore making the engine appear bigger than it actually is.

if you get stopped by a cop,they dont know the diffrence between a clutch handle and a brake handle,tell them its a brake handle if they ask.
and then you get the cop that does know a little somthing about motorcycles, eyeballs the diffrent lever with a pin lock and follows the cable to a clutch mechanism.. then you probably get a big fine, bike impounded, maby even some jail time for lying to a cop... best just to tell them the truth and you probably won't get too much or you could get the " ignorance of the law is no excuse " speach and get a ticket anyway

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the clutch lever we have doesnt switch gears.you would tell the cop its a single speed.
the clutch we have just puts the bike from park to drive,if it was a car it would be a automatic shift lever.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
Since they all look alike, ride it reasonably and you'll probably be OK. Around here, the law says 50cc and less than 25 MPH. I follow scooters with no license plates all the time down Creasy Lane at 40+ and the cops don't give them a second look.
But if you cross paths with one who's having a bad day they'll probably bust you for 28 MPH.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
the clutch lever we have doesnt switch gears.you would tell the cop its a single speed.
the clutch we have just puts the bike from park to drive,if it was a car it would be a automatic shift lever.
legally by deffinetion, it's a manual transmission, as you have to clutch into and out of first gear.. I realise there is only 1 gear, but because there is a manual clutch. it then has 'gears' by deffenition.. saying it's a single speed wouldn't be lying but he could still get you on the fact it has a manual trans