head tube replace

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Greetings, have not been able to figure out pic uploads from phone..but got some pics at photobucket under my user name. I'd like to put 11/8 forks on my ride so I can just bolt on disc. What do you think about slicing head tube,say way more than 1/2 way and welding a 11/8 head tube into the piece left. Clamp it in snug and should....be perfect alignment..whada think??

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Sound like it'll work to me. Just make sure you have good welds since that's such a critical spot for stress. I think you'll find that you'll have to bang the stock 1" head tube out more than you think though. It's narrower than the 1-1/8" head tube by more than just 1/8", so be prepared for some extra massaging of the metal.

Post some pics of the progress, please. I love seeing ideas come to life.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
brnotHey thx Agreen. Yeah its just I don't want to do a complete rebuild. And my mounts are all welded. I put a bracket on the rear for disc,works great. The forks are not worth messing with. First build and nowww I would Start with 11/8 frame. Maybe time for build 2...lol. Which I already bought 79 pred and hooked up to the cargo bike (pic at photobucket). And thanks to all the posts I'm getting her ready for vertical mounting. This is a great hobby and more..its like, I eat,sleep and think 'what can I do to my ride today. I got lic. lites,shifter,duel pull,belt drive primary,Velo,Big sprung seat for my old but. Once again thanks for enriching my life!

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah it is! If only it was steel:-( It would be here! That in frame tank is very persuasive... Its a money issue..i have a hard time convincing myself to spend off the top 400,for frame,forks,bolt-on mounts...instead I Nickel & dime my way to spending 400 and then it's like, why didn't I just do it...lol. I like to see what's being done and..umm I could do that like this.Sooo my stuff always looks...scratch-built. Its just a hobby...(yeah right:)

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey nice. Clean and uncomplicated. That in frame tank is very persuasive. I've got wires,cables runnin wild. Kinda concealed but still there. After I realize I'm spending the same money a pro build cost I'll treat myself. :)

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Well, that bike I just built would go for over a grand easily had I bought it pre-made. I think everything all together cost just under $400 after all was said and done.

Frame: $140
Donor bikes :$40
Engine kit: $120
Freewheel/dual pull brake lever/seat clamp: $30
Cables/hardware/fuel line: $40
Total:$370

But I'm not done. I need lights for it to be legal, so I'm going to have to get creative to hide all the wiring and cables. I think I'm going to try and use some braided steel sheathing.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
That would solve my dilemma!...no mention though if he sells them...i will search for that item now that I know there out there..thx!!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Curt,
Some of the older downhill bikes had 1" tubes didn't they? With the bosses or whatever you call them for V brakes?

That's what I've been thinking about for my 63 Schwinn American Deluxe hybrid trike. That's the one I started last summer with the heavy duty custom made hubs and the differential axle you gave me. It has the kick start gas engine in back and an early version of the Golden Motor 36 volt front wheel. That front wheel has been a problem as there was no provision for a front brake. All I can think of is a rim brake, but I like a suspension fork and for the life of me have not been able to come up with a solution to the problem. But if I can find a suspension fork from a downhill bike which has V brakes, accepts a 26" wheel and has a 1" tube to fit an old Schwinn, then the problem is solved and I'll have good brakes up front and suspension forks for a comfortable, safe ride. What do you think? Is there such a critter?
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Silverbear I've used 1" threaded mountainbike suspension forks on a couple of my builds, readily available as used or takeoffs on ebay. One listed today was buy it now $13.95 course most are $50. & up. Most are set up with bosses for rim & or disc.
Be aware that the lower bearing race isn't always included on even new forks and the race on used ones may not be suited to your Schwinn headset, if you run into that problem pm me and I'll help you source one out. Good news is you can run suspension & rim brakes with your electric front drive. Older electrics often didn't have disc rotor mounts. Rick C.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks Rick,
Good to know that the problem is solved! Excellent! Now I'll be on the lookout for a suitable fork. No hurry, but I'll pay more attention at the dump.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about a freebe? I have one here and will send you, off mountianbike. I will dig it out and send a picture.....................Curt

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Here one more:

how to: 1" threaded frame with 1 1/8" forks
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=28925.0

Sorry, looks like this only works on BMX or old USA cruiser frames:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/1-threaded-1-1-8-threadless-fork-611028.html#post6822543
It (sort of) works with BMX bikes because BMX 1" is old standard American 1"
(think Schwinn beach cruiser) not Euro 1" (derived from road bikes)
which is what mtn. bike 1" HT are based on.
The American 1" is about 1mm smaller than an 1 1/8 cup so on some frames
you could actually machine the HT to make it 1 1/8".

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
How about a freebe? I have one here and will send you, off mountianbike. I will dig it out and send a picture.....................Curt
That's kind of you, Curt. No hurry on it. Could you measure the head tube length? I may need to shorten what is on the bike, being a step through frame. I may also need to open up the slots for the axle since they are larger than normal on the electric hub... strong forks in that area is good. Thanks!
SB