Would you store gas and batteries in the same box?

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
i just bought what I think is a fabulous rear carrier with plans of putting my gas tank and two batteries that run my electric bike into it.
Now as I sat down I started to think about having a gas tank in a sealed plastic box along with 24 volt sealed bats. it would sure solve all my build issues for $33.
Dumb idea?
Canadian Tire

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i just bought what I think is a fabulous rear carrier with plans of putting my gas tank and two batteries that run my electric bike into it.
Now as I sat down I started to think about having a gas tank in a sealed plastic box along with 24 volt sealed bats. it would sure solve all my build issues for $33.
Dumb idea?
Canadian Tire
I'd shy away from the idea, Toy.
It's one of those things that you could probably get away with for a long time and be perfectly safe but...it only takes one thing to go wrong and you could get hurt or at the least start a fire where you'd least want it. Think of it this way: The box is sealed, or at least with little to no ventilation, and a wire connection comes loose from a battery, causes a spark... See what I mean?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
That's what I figured. It's OK, I'll just use it for the batteries, I just wanted to save having to get a custom gas tank made. I really like the looks of this carrier and it will act like a rear fender. I'm tired of slush hitting the back of my head!