what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Did my first cylinder inspection this evening. Not too bad.......there is slight scuffing on the exhaust side, however, the cylinder still feels shiny smooth. Exhaust port is squeaky clean, but it still looks like it's running slightly rich. If I lean it down anymore than where it's at, it's a biotch to start. I guess I'll leave it where it's at for now.

This is at about 350 miles.

Looks way better than mine. I've got a nasty groove in my jug. :( Still runs good though. lol

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Marked out a template to both fab some ragjoints and re-drill a sprocket to suit a 68 spoke wheel.
Also discovered the brittle nature of the diecast clutch lever Assy as I tried to gently open the diameter of the handlebar hole a tiny amount. $nap !

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Finished the Puch head install last night, had to grind down the 1/4 14mm long socket to fit in there. When I looked at the head studs the two at the rear of the motor are straight but positioned forward in the block so when you put the head on those rear studs are even harder to fit a socket over.

Performance, way increased! It was 35 degrees outside last night when we went for a 30 minute ride and in the flat straights my buddy Brian was just inching away from me, but he has a 4.5 hp arrow motor and is about 70 pounds heavier.

Basically my motor went from topping out at around 22 mph (remember Im at 5200 ft elevation) and last night I was gaining mph going uphill and as I went by a lamppost I could see I was at 22 mph and climbing. Now I really need an exhaust!!!!

Dan.

Thanks, again Map!!!!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Finished the Puch head install last night, had to grind down the 1/4 14mm long socket to fit in there. When I looked at the head studs the two at the rear of the motor are straight but positioned forward in the block so when you put the head on those rear studs are even harder to fit a socket over.

Performance, way increased! It was 35 degrees outside last night when we went for a 30 minute ride and in the flat straights my buddy Brian was just inching away from me, but he has a 4.5 hp arrow motor and is about 70 pounds heavier.

Basically my motor went from topping out at around 22 mph (remember Im at 5200 ft elevation) and last night I was gaining mph going uphill and as I went by a lamppost I could see I was at 22 mph and climbing. Now I really need an exhaust!!!!

Dan.

Thanks, again Map!!!!!
You're welcome Dan, Glad you're enjoying the added performance and of course the Puch head looks pretty cool in my opinion also, a good free flowing exhaust will add even more gain, just be sure to check the spark plug after you add a free flowing exhaust, dont want to have a lean run condition, if you're already a bit rich it may turn out to be a good tune for you but sure want to be for sure and not lean that engine to much.

Map reddd

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just a question : why ? doesn't anyone use the grade 8 Allen bolts for the heads instead of ruining a socket or spending HRS. looking for a bolt with a small head, Allen bolt sockets are made for the bolts as well.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Just a question : why ? doesn't anyone use the grade 8 Allen bolts for the heads instead of ruining a socket or spending HRS. looking for a bolt with a small head, Allen bolt sockets are made for the bolts as well.
That is a good question. A couple weeks ago I picked up some grade 8 allen bolts for my next ragjoint install. Overkill but I think it will look good.

Dan.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I mean think about all the trouble everyone is going through to modify tools to get the bolts into a Puch head DAH! use an Allen bolt, I've even used them in my Fred Head and by the way this is what I did to my Pope/Shapleigh tore it down and stripped the head badge and polished it.

Attachments

Last edited:

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
There various reasons for using studs and nuts rather than just bolts to secure cylinders and heads;

1. Studs can help align the cylinder and/or head with the engine cases or block (this can eliminate the need for cyl. and head alignment pins and/or dowels).

2. Studs are not as likely to be twisted when the nuts are torqued down in comparison with bolts. The result is that studs offer increased torque accuracy as well as the ability to maintain their torque settings.

3. Assembly is often easier with studs (many automotive engine builders use several long studs that are lightly threaded into the block to help with cylinder head installation (these studs are removed and replaced with head bolts after the cylinder is seated to the block.

Note: imo, none of this means that you can't effectively use high grade Allen bolts in place of the cylinder/head studs on these engines.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Yesterday I rode about five miles, and didn't worry about a thing. It's nice when you finally get em right.

.mbv.

Exactly!! Sun on your back and wind in your face --- the same reason you see every dog smile'n when he has his head out the truck window!!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I had a bike similar to this one mine was a crane brook huffy the first time I stood on the pedal to take off the plastic pedal snapped off and almost hurt me something bad I replaced them out with these and after 4 years of hard daily ,year round riding, This set of pedals is all I have left of that bike!! Yours looks much better than mine did + I was weighing in @ 305lbs at the time

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Went to Denver to pick up a one Dyno but the guy never responded back to me, I even asked 2door to email the guy because he lives in the area. Funny story, I called a guy in Denver about a frame but he already sold it but he gave me a number to another fellow and after we talked he was on the hunt for me and found the Von Franco. Lots of nice people left in this world!

Anyways as things go it was a good thing, I wound up buying 2 Dynos for the same price as the one I wanted. The only thing these bikes didn't have are the stock triple tree forks which is a bummer but hopefully I can locate some good triple tree forks somewhere.

All packed in my car lol.

First bike is what I think is a older model because the front badge is a sticker and not a plate.

Second bike is a Von Franco, it came with the fenders and I'll be selling those along with the fake tank to replenish the building fund lol.

So many folks here helped me get to this point Culvercityclassic was a tremendous help even though I know he has a busy schedule so thanks again Jeff.

Dan.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Gave my bike a well deserved beating just earlier. Needed it. Runs great, coasts great. Gotta wonder if I shouldn't get it go 375mi between hub services. lol

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Today I modified, painted and installed the clutch arm to level out the cable pull to the clutch cable roller and added some Gentleman's Bling and also installed the vintage clutch lever.

Here is a shot of the Allen Blots in both the Puch Head and the Fred Head very easy to line up with out mis-aligning the bottom or head gaskets, I use a copper coating on my gaskets ( stick's in place ) and then put them in place before lowering the cylinder and head into the final position so that all holes line up, doesn't take a Rocket scientist to figure it out and even with the stock heads that have been moderately modified or decked, I think it took longer to figure how to modify tools for install then it did to just get the bolts and an Allen socket for the Torque Wrench.

Attachments

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Went to Denver to pick up a one Dyno but the guy never responded back to me, I even asked 2door to email the guy because he lives in the area. Funny story, I called a guy in Denver about a frame but he already sold it but he gave me a number to another fellow and after we talked he was on the hunt for me and found the Von Franco. Lots of nice people left in this world!

Anyways as things go it was a good thing, I wound up buying 2 Dynos for the same price as the one I wanted. The only thing these bikes didn't have are the stock triple tree forks which is a bummer but hopefully I can locate some good triple tree forks somewhere.

All packed in my car lol.

First bike is what I think is a older model because the front badge is a sticker and not a plate.

Second bike is a Von Franco, it came with the fenders and I'll be selling those along with the fake tank to replenish the building fund lol.

So many folks here helped me get to this point Culvercityclassic was a tremendous help even though I know he has a busy schedule so thanks again Jeff.

Dan.
Wow that was a good score... I hope you are happy... I would be...

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I think my bike wants a new carb and tank. :(

The nipple where the fuel line attaches at the carb popped out TWICE. I've never had that happen. Then when inspecting (on the side of the road, o'course) I noticed my petcock was loose. Like I could move it side to side loose. Goddonkey. :(