Hello and help

GoldenMotor.com

HillBilly1975

Sep 17, 2013
Denver
Got an BGF z2 80cc kit. to help with my 20mi round trip to work after taking my time putting it to gather and reading some post for us noobe's the frist day was spent getting the plug color right. now on day 2 and the engine starts but statrt to squeak and only runs for about 20 to 30 seconds. It will only do this at full throttle. Thinks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Another Colorado rider, that's good.

First, what fuel to oil ratio are you using. If you're trying the suggested 16:1 as most installation manuals will tell you, don't. Move down to at least 24:1.

Second, you shouldn't waste time trying for the perfect plug color until you've put a couple of hundred miles on the engine. The break in period will vary depending on your break in procedures. The plug color really isn't going to tell you much right now. In fact you might run the engine a little lean trying to lighten up the color until the piston rings seat.

As for the engine quiting after a few moments of running, there are several things to check. One being that the fuel tank cap is venting properly. Another is that fuel is flowing to the carburetor from the tank. Almost without exception the kit supplied fuel tanks will have dirt and rust that will clog the in-tank filter as well as carburetor jets and float valves. We suggest an in-line filter between the tank and carb and cleaning the tank before installing it.

Get back to us with any developments.

Tom

HillBilly1975

Sep 17, 2013
Denver
Thinks for the quick response yes using the 16 to 1 on fuel checked the carb added Teflon tape at the intake to prevent air leaks, added inline filter from get go and washed out tank. will check cap though. the engine felt tight when first putting it to gather. will try to get a video and post it. Thinks

HillBilly1975

Sep 17, 2013
Denver
Good Day to all. Here is an update changed intake gasket, reset carb back to stock settings cleaned out fuel tank and carb a second time. found a striped intake stud so I changed it to the 6mm x 1 Allen head per 2doors advice. motor still feels tight and squeaks as it starts to warm up then rpm's slow down till it dies. here is a video link http://youtu.be/uKIyhlkj2Eo kind of short as the motor was already warm

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'll have to agree that the engine might be tight. Judging from how quickly it shuts off, no wind down period, just an abrupt stopping. You could be looking at a bearing problem or just a very tight fit of the rings. Heat would exacerbate the problem. As things warm the clearances get tighter.

I have seen new engines come from the factory with a piston ring not installed correctly and was bound up in the cylinder. I've also seen defective or improperly installed bearings. The squeaking sound you hear might be an indication of either of these conditions.

Remove the spark plug and the left side (magneto) cover, disengage the clutch and see if you can rotate the crankshaft by turning the magneto rotor (magnet). You should be able to do that with little effort. If not, you'll need to start looking deeper or consider returning the engine to your supplier. Some warrantys, if you have one, might be void if you disassemble the engine. But that is another can of worms.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

HillBilly1975

Sep 17, 2013
Denver
as per 2Door's instructions (Remove the spark plug and the left side (magneto) cover, disengage the clutch and see if you can rotate the crankshaft by turning the magneto rotor (magnet). You should be able to do that with little effort.) could turn engine over with hand. Felt consistent with the amount of effort all the way through the cycle just seems tighter than what i thank it should be, (but it has been a few years since i turned wrenches) Also Took baffle out of muffler ran longer and act like it was going to stay running

Last edited:

HillBilly1975

Sep 17, 2013
Denver
Finished for today running out of daylight motor now runs for up to a min but only get about 4 or five starts before clutch starts slipping and have to readjust it. Thinks for all the help today!! good to have a place to find answers. also squeaking seems to have stopped