Blocked Spark Plug

GoldenMotor.com

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Hey guys, so I just bought one of these china kits, but I can't plug my spark plug in because there is like 5mm of clearance above it.

What should I do?

PIC:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Turn the cylinder head around so the plug is in the front. The head will go on either way and will make no difference in how the engine runs. You can safely reuse the head gasket.

While you have the head off double nut the studs and torque them into the case to about 120 inch pounds then replace the cylinder head and torque the head nuts to the same value.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Changing the plug boot and wire with a quality one will also help. More flexible than the rigid plastic junk boot it comes with, varying angles available.

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Turn the cylinder head around so the plug is in the front. The head will go on either way and will make no difference in how the engine runs. You can safely reuse the head gasket.

While you have the head off double nut the studs and torque them into the case to about 120 inch pounds then replace the cylinder head and torque the head nuts to the same value.

Tom
Wow thanks, I was getting really worried haha. I broke my first spark plug boot trying to shimmy it on, thankfully there was a spare one, which I also broke, but I fixed with some electrical tape hahaha.

I don't exactly have a torque wrench at my disposal, is there any way for me to get 120 inch pounds of torque on each nut without one?

Also, could you explain what you mean by double nutting the studs?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
He means if you put two nuts next to each other on the stud, and turn them opposite directions so they lock up, then use the top one to turn the stud with a wrench. After it's positioned, you can unlock the nuts and turn them off with your fingers, but the stud stays put.

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Again, I don't have a torque wrench, nor can I afford to buy one. I literally only have enough money for a tank of gas and oil hahaha.

So should I just try and do this by feel? Also I switched around the cylinder head, do I also need to torque them with a torque wrench or is it okay that i did it by feel then?

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Well, just make sure the nuts are reasonably tight, get rid of the acorn nuts for one thing (you did), and make sure the nuts are snug and that when you look at the cylinder/head junction ensure there are not uneven gaps, and when you fire it up if you notice oil coming out from anywhere you either blew a gasket or it's not tight enough (or both).
Tighten each nut, not too tight or loose and ensure each one is equally tight.

10 foot pounds is what I use, but my nuts have gone down to 2 foot pounds during break in with no leaks, so it's probably better to under tighten than over tighten which can break studs.

Try lifting a can of paint, or a gallon of some liquid, try using about that much force to tighten with. (Just an approximation)

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
can't tell from your pic what the bike looks like (can't find a decent pic of 'bigfoot sp' thru google)

turning the head around works fine, but not sure if there might be other problems too

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
When I broke my first boot , I ran down to my local motorcycle shop and bought in NGK spark plug boot for $3.99 great boot two years later & 2800 miles later still going . The first mod I did get rid of crapy wire. On the way back from the MC Shop I stoped at one Auto repair garages asked the mechanic If he could help me out with a USED (but free of course) 5mm spark plug wire . Dude threw me a long blue FOMOCO racing wire and told me to get lost. LOL And that I did!!!!!!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Again, I don't have a torque wrench, nor can I afford to buy one. I literally only have enough money for a tank of gas and oil hahaha.

So should I just try and do this by feel? Also I switched around the cylinder head, do I also need to torque them with a torque wrench or is it okay that i did it by feel then?
I understand you ain't got the money, but try to at least ask around to borrow a torque wrench (friend, family or neighbor). Try kindly asking a repair shop to torque it down. Explain your situation and maybe they'll do it for ya.

You can't afford not to torque it down because more than likely, you'll be back on the forum with more problems. If it isn't torqued right, your engine head may become warped, won't seal right and probably won't run right.

To me, you're just throwing your money away.

If you have to put the engine head back on without a torque wrench, tightening it in a criss-cross pattern. Tighten each nut a little at a time. Don't tighten one all the way and then tighten the next one all the way, etc.

Try and get a new plug wire.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited: