bought cranberry 2 cycle 3 days ago/problems w/fuel

GoldenMotor.com

chefkpo#1

May 12, 2013
port orange,fl
salesman told me 6 to one,then go to 4 to one on gas/oil mix...don't understand..been reading 20 to 1,then go to 32 yto one.i believe they put bad gas from their can.black as ink.would pedal,dump clutch,bike would run 100ft then peter out.again/again.cheap petcock,spins 360 don't know whats off or on.buying new one tomorrow.took petcock off bike.filter loaded w/black stringy gunk.put together,now leaks....hoses been leaking also,put wrap ties at all ends....bubbles in fuel filter.2 head screws loose,plus assst other bolts,nuts...am on hospice,just wanted inexpensive way for groceries/pharmacy,cant rely on roommate or anyone else...called sales back 3 times.im over courteous,not complainer when should be especiallynow....any advice on petcock,bubbles in line,what is 6 to one,does sales even know.i have conversion issues.think 32 to one is 4 oz.anybody with advice,i bow before you.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I put 24 to 1 just because you don't know how many miles is on it. I just wonderful if it fully broke in yet I'd run a tank or two like that then go to 32to 1. Did you put the gasket on threads before you screw the petcock on the tank and a couple wraps of thread lock plumbers tape that help it from leaking.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Welcome to the forum chef.
"black stringy gunk"? I have no idea what that could be, but no matter what happens, you should try to determine the cause, so it does't happen again. More than likely something got in there, and when you clean it, it'll be over. Replacing the petcock is a good idea, use a couple wraps of teflon tape on the threads. (I am aware that teflon tape is not gasoline resistant, but it does work in this application.) I would suggest not running the engine until you have washed out your fuel tank, replaced fuel filter, replaced all fuel line (using hose clamps), and cleaned your carb. That should cost you less than $20, and be done in about an hour I'm guessing. I'm blown away that it would run like that!
Do some searching on this site for what products people use to flush their tanks.
Hope this helps. Post some pics if you can:)

Last edited:

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
i use opti-2, it's 100:1 with no break in ratio, and yes it really does work. I'm on my 4th build and this stuff has improved the performance of all my bikes and there's no smoke at all from the tail pipe.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
i use opti-2, it's 100:1 with no break in ratio, and yes it really does work. I'm on my 4th build and this stuff has improved the performance of all my bikes and there's no smoke at all from the tail pipe.
i'm still on the first gallon of fuel on my first ever motorized bicycle with only 72 miles on her but i read the entire Opti 2 thread before i got the bike and that thread convinced me.

anyway, i took her out today for a ride and i opened her up a little hitting 33.82 MPH on a flat stretch of road, that's the fastest i've gone on her so far and there is still room under the throttle, not much, lol, but still, there is some. ...pretty awesome considering i'm 6 foot tall and just shy of 200 pounds.

the motor seems to run remarkably cool as well.

so yeah buddy! i'm an Opti 2 fan for sure!

peace, bozo

chefkpo#1

May 12, 2013
port orange,fl
purchased new cranberry with 2 cycle engine.had many issues first day..where I bought huffy bike the gas mix was jet black,smokin from tailpipe,developed other issues,gas leaks,petcock wouldn't shut off...went back after 3 days,guy charged me 40 for new petcock.owner told me to run 6oz oil to gal of gas and cut back to 4oz.now that bike is up and runnin I noticed metallic sound from lower gear case.owned Harley sportsters in past and you know how they sound,all mechanically flowing like melody...this 2 banger sounds different.like metal against metal.first gas tank in had tad bit too much oil in my opinion and now 6oz to gal looks thin..im sure its still lubricating right?also whats up with this 2 cycle jumpin to 4 cycle ive been readin about..any help appreciated.:-||:-||

Mar 31, 2013
RI
purchased new cranberry with 2 cycle engine.had many issues first day..where I bought huffy bike the gas mix was jet black,smokin from tailpipe,developed other issues,gas leaks,petcock wouldn't shut off...went back after 3 days,guy charged me 40 for new petcock.owner told me to run 6oz oil to gal of gas and cut back to 4oz.now that bike is up and runnin I noticed metallic sound from lower gear case.owned Harley sportsters in past and you know how they sound,all mechanically flowing like melody...this 2 banger sounds different.like metal against metal.first gas tank in had tad bit too much oil in my opinion and now 6oz to gal looks thin..im sure its still lubricating right?also whats up with this 2 cycle jumpin to 4 cycle ive been readin about..any help appreciated.:-||:-||
...here man, take a read through this thread, and read the whole thing, i know it's kinda long but if you read it through you might decide to give Opti 2 a try, i know i'm glad i did.

100:1 Mix

...early in the thread you'll find that there are only 2 guys who had negative outcomes and those were both older bikes with many miles on them that had been run for their entire prior life with conventional, non-syntietic oil, ALL other negative comments came from those too convinced they already knew it all and so didn't actually try it, they were just convinced 100:1 wouldn't work. ...btw, both of the guys who reported negative outcomes with those older bikes are now using Opti 2 almost exclusively and both are very experienced and gifted builders, it was their experiences with Opti 2 that convinced me to try it.

...and if you decide to stick to more conventional oils everything i've read by these folks who ride these bikes says to never go richer than 24:1, and once broken in 40:1 is common. ...frankly, i'd trust the knowledge i've found here way more than some moron telling me '6:1'.

...with Opti 2 it's 100:1 so just 1.3 ounces of oil per gallon of fuel, personally, i love the stuff, ...but i'm still very new at this myself so i took a leap of faith in trying the Opti 2, it's just that every time i go for a ride the bike seems to run better, and i love that i don't trail a cloud of smoke and oil behind me, lol, no puddles of oil on the floor of my garage either.

peace, bozo

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Two more tanks of my Echo Powerblend and I'm on to my Opti2 my father picked up in Maine for me.

Anyway chef, it's common to have to work out the bugs with these things while they are breaking in, and after. ;)

Seriously though, they are cheap motors bolted to bicycles, the only best thing you can do is use the best motor oil money can buy (after break in) and get better parts (chain in particular, looks nice but sucks beyond belief!) and you will have less issues.
And after awhile your bolts stay put, especially if you use (blue) threadlocker.

And that sringy gunk was motor oil that was too rich or what's left after the gasoline evaporates, some mix gets blown back into the carb onto the air filter because these are reedless motors.