Pulling trailer against the wind overheating??

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Pulling my trailer home today from work going against a 20mph wind... After about 1 1/2 miles started losing power and exhaust or intake noise got real loud......Slowed down a little and it got better after a little bit.....

Am I just getting hot or is this more the symptoms of a head-base gasket leaking????

I have the black engine so leaks are hard to see.....

bgf 66, 39 tooth sprocket, 50-1 amsoil...Carb on leanest needle setting....

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
It very well could be from a leaky gasket. A leak like that can cause excess noise as well as a loss of power.

you can use ultra copper gasket maker to help the base gasket make a good seal. A thin coat on each side of the base gasket will do the trick.

The cylinder head and cylinder should be lapped on a sheet of sandpaper to ensure that the surfaces are flat. And again, use ultra copper gasket maker on each side of the head gasket. Use the same thin coat as you used on the base gasket.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
If it's a head gasket problem you can probably feel it with your hand when the motor is running-

my guess is an exhaust gasket maybe too, but probably wouldn't lose power- would explain the noise though.

Yeah- I might try a little more oil mix too.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I believe i will richen up the oil mixture a bit.....

Also, everytime i start it i feel a whoosh of air on my left leg....

I had a pipe on this when i had the motor on my other bike and didnt have problems w/ my trailer.... I think the extra ooomph it provided kept it from getting hot....

I have a new motor coming tomorrow, so I will tear this one down and take pics so you'all can give me advice on what the problem is......

I sure appreciate all the help and advice on this forum.....

THANKS GUYS

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
You're very welcome borntofli!

Richening the mix will increase lubrication. That will help when you're hauling loads.

That rush is certainly caused by a leak. At the head, exhaust manifold, or intake. How about a project? This one will take a few hours time but you'll be sure that you have good seals, and a bump in power. I'm talking port matching the exhaust pipe and intake tube. Follow it up with new gaskets and a bit of copper goo on everything. In the end you will have a nice airtight engine.

If after all the good advice given in this thread you still have heat issues, you might need to try a 44 tooth sprocket.