Lights "kill" engine???

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I had changed the type of plug, the magneto, the bulb and still no luck until I changed the wire! good luck nomad ,hope you catch the gremlin:ride:
Hmmmm thanks, sometimes it is the simple things we overlook or take for granted are at the core of the problem..

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
HT2005, thanks for the input. I changed the plug back to the original, and I swear it runs better but the lights still kill the eng... Interestingly I did recently regap my plug I will change the gap.. are you sure about that 0.02? that's a mighty small gap...

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ok I was wrong, I checked and my gap is somewhere between 0.010 and 0.020.... somewhere around fifteen-thousandths of an inch.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
best I can tell the voltage is ac and is goes all over the place but the so called instructions with the engine kits say its 6 volt. The bulbs off the generator lights for bikes will work for a little while and will fry must be a voltage spike that gets them.
I had a problem with one of my bikes the plug looked good and bike would run fine then it would take a fit and die light worked right up to the point of the bike coming to a stop. You could not get it started again until turning off the light once running again if you tried the light it was dead in the water again so I cleaned the plug and it would work with the light on and may last a day or two then it would pull the same old $hit the plug looked fine but it had to have a internal short in it so its now sleeping in the city dump somewhere. A new plug made it all better. all it takes is a frog hair of bare wire and it will short out the system or a loose soldered connection on the ignition system and the dam light will stay on as you grind to a stop unless you kill the lights then its real unhappy motoring to get home if its after dark.
Norman

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks for all the input Gentlemen, as soon as I feel like getting my hands dirty again, I'll use it all. Got really frustrated changing an eng on my bike, (different eng; chain don't fit right... etc,, I need a rest from it.. ).. Ride my mountain bike tomorrow... clear the head.. :)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I hear ya sometimes these things can drive you crazy or sane depending on which end your starting fromrotfl
Norman