gas tank question

GoldenMotor.com

kutsuda

Mar 23, 2010
georgia
hi guys just have a quick question can tiny thin metal debris in a new gastank damage the engine/piston there very thin like chips of paint but i have confirmed there metal by placing magnet to fuel line already had engine running runs fine just wondering will they affect the life of the engine or not

Last edited:

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
i would imagine it is not good. Most people around here will dump a bunch of nuts and washers in and shake it all up then wash out, there are a few other ways, then do a gas rinse and shake.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I have been giving this some thought after reading a similar post. Here is a potential bachelor solution. Throw the nuts or BB's into the tank. Wrap the tank in one or two blankets and some masking tape. Put the tank into a dryer with heat turned down, set for 90 minutes or an hour. Instant tumbler. A third blanket or articles of clothing could be added to reduce the thumpa-thumpa-thumpa.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have been giving this some thought after reading a similar post. Here is a potential bachelor solution. Throw the nuts or BB's into the tank. Wrap the tank in one or two blankets and some masking tape. Put the tank into a dryer with heat turned down, set for 90 minutes or an hour. Instant tumbler. A third blanket or articles of clothing could be added to reduce the thumpa-thumpa-thumpa.
That is a good way to blow yourself to sky high.

Never put a tank in the dryer, unless of course you have never put a drop of gas in it.

ALSO, do NOT use a shop vac on the tank.

Use some diesel, or K-1 kerosine and aquarium gravel.

No sparks, static, heat, volatile gasoline.

The stuff from inside your tank is mostly metal, paint, crud and somebodys' left over lunch remnants. Use an inline filter always, always, always.

It won't hurt your engine since a non-running engine is very difficult to damage.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That is a whole 'nother story. That's quite a process and will start to come apart if not done just about perfectly, especially with the new gasoline formulations.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
...whatever, if your dumb enough to put a tank with gas fumes in a heated environment you get what you deserve, give people a little credit would ya? I give up help yer-selves.

"can tiny thin metal debris in a NEW gastank damage the engine/piston "

*edit, I am so tired of everything being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, not just here, it's a nationwide epidemic.

Last edited:

kutsuda

Mar 23, 2010
georgia
That is a good way to blow yourself to sky high.

Never put a tank in the dryer, unless of course you have never put a drop of gas in it.

ALSO, do NOT use a shop vac on the tank.

Use some diesel, or K-1 kerosine and aquarium gravel.

No sparks, static, heat, volatile gasoline.

The stuff from inside your tank is mostly metal, paint, crud and somebodys' left over lunch remnants. Use an inline filter always, always, always.

It won't hurt your engine since a non-running engine is very difficult to damage.
i see the thread filled up quickly with replies thanks for all the ideas i went ahead took tank off bike today cleaned out well as i could i went ahead got a good fine mesh inline filter works well also the way its made if any build up starts to form on one side i can just take it off and rinse with a lil alcohol and make sure its dried since thiers no paper to mess around with in the filter its basically a small circle shaped filter with a small circle shaped very fine mesh filter in it

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
kreem is not a complicated process. that is what directions are for. it takes about an hour to do two coats. do it outside when the temp is above 70 degrees and you are good to go. i have a tank i sealed two years ago with kreem, and no rust, no leaks, no flaking. the directions are easy to understand, easy to follow, and not complex or time consuming. tell ya what. the bottle even recommends washing the tank before using the sealant to remove any factory coating. i didnt even do that, and the stuff worked really great.