leaky fuel cap

GoldenMotor.com

biker G

May 6, 2010
ontario
my starfire fuel cap leaks.
I fixed it by sealing the joint underneath where the two parts of the cap are crimped together along with the small vent hole under the lip.(I used solder but epoxy should also work)
next drill a similar sized hole in the center on the top side.
Mine no longer leaks even when full.

biker G

May 6, 2010
ontario
Sorry about no photos guys but I cant find my camera just now but I will try later.
In the mean time though cabinfever1977 guessed right about the placement of the new vent,on the top center of the chrome side.
As for the sealing part of the operation, you will notice that the seam where the top chrome piece and the inner gold half come together is not perfect.
Seal this with something impervious to gas along with the single small hole up under the lip.(NOT the holes down by the locking mechanism.)
I hope this helps because those fuel caps are unacceptable as is.

Good luck!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Actually if you don't fill your tank more than half way, it shouldnt leak, much.
I put around 35 cents worth of gas in my tank and toss in around a 1oz of oil and shake bike.

One could either replace the tank with a better one or add a threaded neck from a metal can with screw cap and add a pin hole in middle of cap for air.

Last edited: