How do you align the rear sprocket????

GoldenMotor.com

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
I am really getting into these motorized bicycles and have been reading the posts and studying the information here and everything seems straightforward except one thing.

When you install the rear sprocket onto your existing wheel, I notice that it has the sprocket and another plate and some gasket-like material around the spokes. This whole thing bolts together, but how do you get the sprocket centered on the axle so it isn't out of round??

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Seriously, you have to put the wheel on the bike or a stand and make an "indicator" to mark alignment and run out, then slowly, carefully tighten it.

Also, check to make sure the hole is drilled on center and if it's not "adjust it".

Having said that, I'll add that on a one bike I never could get it straight (run out 'front to rear') and the only adverse efect it had was a little more noise than normal.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i took a square and put held it on the rear triangle of the bicycle an adjusted it so it just barely touched the sprocket and spun the wheel slowly tightning the bolts to keep it all the same. so not to much wabble. i also put the square so it just barly touched the the teeth on the sprocket again i spun the whell to make sure all was square. you will never get it perfect unless really lucky but that will make it close at least. hope that made sense :eek:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I clamped my rear wheel in a vice so that the sprocket was horizontal instead of vertical. It just seemed easier to do that way for me.....................

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Many ways to do it...I cut a piece of plywood so there was a slot in it that the wheel would sit in. I used a drywall screw to attach a piece of 3/4"X3/4" pine as the "alignment tool" and that way I can swing it in or out to true a wheel or align the sprocket.