51 yrs old 6 foot 2 ... building a 29 onex

GoldenMotor.com

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
Just moved out of Florida into the beautiful area of Northeast Tennessee.

Sold my house in Florida!

.. so livin out in the country about 9 miles from town .... with lots of 10% grade and really just settling down with wife and kid.

I bought a moped, have owned big motor bikes ...

... but really into gold investing and thinking vehicles with high MPG are the way to go ...

... so I bought an onex from from walmart and got my bbikeberry kit ....

... now putting it together is another story ...

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Welcome! I'm just over you by an inch, but weight's the important factor. I'm 280#, and ride a Genesis 29er mountainbike. There's plenty of info here on the Onyx...seems the mounting is a bit tricky, and the coaster-breaks are suspect, but no one seems to complain. I love my cheapo Genesis, but be aware that the hardware on these is Grade-C. if you're about my weight, the rear hub, axle, and spokes will show their weaknesses. Pay special attention to their maintenance.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

Just make sure you add a front brake and reinforce those fender mounts!

Best of luck with your build.

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
thanks a bunch ....

I am going to add spot welds to the rivets on the fenders ...

I am loosing the coaster brake .. putting on calipers ....

48 spokes with a rag joint kit set up for a 36 spoke makes it difficult ...

thinking I should mount the motor first ... probably going to have the motor mount welded ..

...weigh 230 pounds

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome, DD.
You found the right place to help you along with your first motorized bicycle project. Lots of great folks here who enjoy passing on what they know to make the task easier on you and assure success. Lots of discussion on almost any bike related topic by using the Search Feature. But we're always here if you need specific advice.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
thanks a bunch ....

I am going to add spot welds to the rivets on the fenders ...
I dont know about the onyx, but if the fenders are like any other bike you need more. If you can beef up the bracket. it's not the rivet in my case that broke, its the mount itself, and I'm not alone. Be safe! Enjoy your build and welcome!

I wiki your town, looks nice. Have a mountain dew in little chicago!

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the world of motorized bicycles young fellow, i think like us you are going to find these bikes a new addiction and the fountain of youth, great to have you with us