How comfortable is your 'shop' ?

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I don't think your shop can ever be too big, mine is 30 by 30 with a 12 by 20 man cave on the back. I have a frige, microwave, TV, and sink. Also have the coffee pot! Nice and warm in the winter and cool in the summer with the ac.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice shop 'kitchen'.
I look forward to seeing the actual shop work area when it's done.
Since my shop is part of my house my 'shop kitchen' is the actual kitchen ;-}

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
No Tom its on the back, all the cabinets came out of our house when we remodeled. I had the cabinets stacked in the shop till one day I got to thinking I needed to do something with them or sell them, most of the wood is reclaimed. I got free 50 year architect shingle from my brother that were left over from his roofing job. I tore down a barn for most of the framing. Note the Dale Earnhardt #3 clock on the wall, that belongs to my son. This is primarily our ammo reloading room.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It certainly is admirable. I so envy you guys with space like that to work and have a place to get away. If I could just talk my wife into selling her car, I'd have some space to enjoy. But we all know about wives and their cars.
Thanks for sharing the photos, Greg. You've made most of us envious.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I'll take some pictures in the shop area soon, I have just about ever tool that I could need. Some people spend their spare cash on other things, mine goes in my shop. My thought is when I retire I'll have some where to hang out.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
M/B you'll never really get finished if you are like me, I built my shop in 1998 and I'm still working on it. I never did install the ceiling just left the open rafters, floored the center part of the attic and built wide steps so I could store large items if needed. I got 32 sheets of OSB the other week to do the ceiling so I got to get my son to help me, at my age I have to make the job easier so I have a harbour freight drywall lift I'm going to use on the OSB.
Oh yeah I know what you mean, and yes it will be an ongoing project for a while, I will be work on and at it still for a while as money allows for the extras, still have to build my reloading room inside for all my firearm stuff, I plan to insulate it and panel the inside with 7/16" OSB , still need to box in the eves and trim the entire building and then it will all get a good coat of paint, hope to get started building the front porch before long, it will be 20' x 8' and then at some point I will under pin the building to keep snakes and other critters from hanging out under the shop..... dang more I think about it Im gonna be.piddling with this for a good while longer aint I........lol!

By the way you have a very nice shop Greg..... really spiffy for sure......... great work.

Map
.wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Shan,
You have my envy. But, maybe it's a good thing I don't have any more space. I'd just fill it up with tools and toys and it would end up looking like my garage.
Nice 'man cave'. Congratulations.

Tom
Well Tom I plan on having lots of shelving for storage b and plan to keep things fairly organized if I can but it will be full of tools and other things related to my many likes and hobbies, ill have a reloading room inside, one area for my many wood working tools including table saw and radial arm saw etc Ill keep my bikes and do a lot of my bicycle work in this shop for now, I plan to pour a slab on the right side which will be. 14'x20' and that is where my welders and my mill and lathe will be so Ill have a place to do metal work, not a good idea using a tork or welding on a wood floor.....lol! But I like a wood floor in a wood working area and I plan to have a couple good work benches in the main shop, the wood heater will be nice in the winter and I will put a couple window units in for cooling in the hot Texas summer, it wont be real fancy but a nice man cave for me just the same and I plan to enjoy it for sure.

Thanks for the congrats Tom

Map
.wee.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
It certainly is admirable. I so envy you guys with space like that to work and have a place to get away. If I could just talk my wife into selling her car, I'd have some space to enjoy. But we all know about wives and their cars.
Thanks for sharing the photos, Greg. You've made most of us envious.

Tom

I betcha that biknut could provide you with a detailed diagram on how to make this happen.................

laff

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I've been installing the ceiling in my shop by myself, this harbour freight sheetrock lift is great for the job. It takes longer to move stuff out of the way than to install wood. I've got 12 sheets up so far, I do about 3 or 4 at a time using my framing nailer and #8 ringed deck nails.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I've got 26 sheets up in the ceiling so far, I only like 3 and the stair well and door to the attic. I will need help on these because they are over some shelves that are bolted to the wall and fairly full so I'll wait till my son can help. I worked all day Saturday on it and could really feel it this morning.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang Greg! 26? that is more a factory then a shop, lol.

Wish I lived closer and could lend a hand.
(more being selfish and wanna pick yer brain on this stuff)

Finished a shelf for the 400LBS mill/lathe and got really carried away and over built it. You could put the weight of 2 small cars, a micro-bus and a dog named Fred on it and it would stand. The floor would collapse but the shelf would still be a shelf. (in the rubble)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you build it stronger than needed you will not have a problem, the problem would be to under build it! The way I see it nothing can be too strong , secure or too stable.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Too true Greg! Great advice and thought.

In my younger years and past life as a Merchant Mariner, I did a lot of rigging work.

The rule of thumb was if ya had to haul, lift or tow X amount of weight, ya doubled it (if possible, 5 to one) the weight or gerth and then added some in the math.

Just good insurance and no dogs named Fred ever got hurt.