lots o mods

GoldenMotor.com

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
ok so I want to build a bike like the one in the pic. to do it I need to stretch a bike frame a foot and drop it to 6 inches higher than the tire. I have a 4 cycle hausheng engine that runs great and has not been broken in. problem is I don't know how to weld yet. I want to use a 7 speed hub so I can keep the engine at a lower speed. I also think I have to stick pedals on it some where to make it street legal in MA. I know basic machining but haven't gotten my lathe running yet. I will be making parts for the engine and a custom muffler.

Attachments

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
that's what I want to make. I can't weld :(. I found that pick on atomiczombie.com. the engine kit I got is bad. bad fuel valve, fuel lines, rust pited muffler, and a horrible plastic twist grip for throttle. never buy anything from luckyearlybird on ebay! the engine is amazing though. what should I build the frame out of? other bikes?

Last edited:

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
I would snatch that up for the price, it's got more than enough power to weld bike frames but a lot of bikes are chromoly and you need tig for that. They go for more than $250 new, even if ya don't like it you can resell for a profit. Use it to practice your welding skills then get a tig machine.

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
the person who listed the welder hasn't gotten back to me yet but i'm going to try and get this bike to add to the one I already have.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
hate to break it to out, but all kits regardless of where you buy them come with them cheap plastic throttles, and their is always a chance of rust pitting on the exhaust. its been shipped half way across the world and probably has been sitting in a drop vendors warehouse for 6 months to a year. you cant expect BMW quality from a $130 motor KIT, kit being the key word.

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
I know why there would be problems but the seller would not even respond to any of my questions and it cost more than $300 so I expected at least a little customer service. there also were a bunch of small parts that are the wrong size and a Luckyearlybird is one of the few engine kit sellers on ebay recommended against: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/mobilebasic?pli=1 (that site has a lot of good info on bike engines)

the guy who put the welder on craigslist took it down and hasn't responded to either of my emails! :(

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Builder Bob, I think you've found the next generation of motorized bicycle racing. Stands to reason a lower center of gravity would be an real boost to cornering.

I think if the pedals were further back so the rider could easily stand on the pedals rather than sit on the seat, the center of gravity could be extremely low.

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
I'm not really interested in racing but what your saying makes sense. when I get a welder i'll mount the pedals back like you said. if I don't buy a new snowboard this weekend i'll probably be ordering a welder.

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
called one of the guys selling a welder but he didn't pick up. the other one is to far away. there's one on ebay that I also could get but i'd prefer to get the one that's on craigslist.

couple more pics of what I want my bike to look like.

Attachments

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
those bikes are weird. tires are way to wide. be fun to ride but ineficent. i want 2 inch wide slicks.

no one has responded to me about the welders!