WOW ! I thought I was on my own...

GoldenMotor.com

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
I'm thinking exactly the same as you mate, what does it matter what you've got in your trailer ? Or for my build what does it matter that's built into your sidecar lol.

Now for a little diversion, got a knackerd cheap little electric bike if my mate buck she, an decided to get it going by strapping on a couple of 14 amp hour motorbike batteries, it goes great but the wheel base is so small you can't help but fall of the thing, here's a little vid of my lad Archie ignoring me lol...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLKqSWFaB5U#

Last edited:

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Nice one mate, I've just tried 3 times to find my vid link an still cant see it lol, I thought I'd done it wrong but as long as you can see it I suppose. It doesn't look fast but at 15 mph it's fast enough to hurt if he lands bad.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Had a test fit of the CG front wheel today, it looks waaaay too small in there so I Brit-chopped all the spokes off and measured up for a nice big 19 inch rim, I had a meeting with the wheel builder and decided to go for the stainless steel rim an spokes, he'll get back to me tomorrow if theres any problems getting them so fingers crossed there. Looks like its gona cost me £90 for the rim, £70 for the spokes £12 for delivery an £35 for the building of it, then I just need rim tape an a tyre.

Before It went off for rebuilding I gave it the once over with silver spray and laquer an it dont look to bad now, I got some ally off cut at another engineers in Skelmersdale for the new wheel spacers which I'm going to attempt to make but had to also commision a new front wheel spindle as the original is 2 CM too short in the new girders (I've no idea how much that will cost :shock: ).

The best news of the day came when I got an three day early call from another engineer who was straightening my bent frame with his 30 ton press,................. Its all straight now :) and all for a not unresonable £40,

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Yes mate its steel forged, wieghs a fair bit too an looks an feels mega strong, it was both bent and twisted out of shape but he said he had no trouble getting it back into shape.
the round lug is for the tank mounted gear shifter and is on the bottom of the frame.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Your not kidding, it's a French bike that was probley owned during the war by a resistance fighter with a scar on his face who ran the German gauntlets to run downed RAF pilots to safety as well as get vital enigma codes back to the Allies, I imagine on occasions it had to jump over barbed wire fences to evade capture and escape the Hun.
Its not had an easy existance upto now...an its about to get worse, YEEHAWWWWWW

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The CG, as I've said, with standard Honda high comp piston and a decent carb, can go surprisingly well off the line :)

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Had another good day on it today, took the hardtail to my mate Belinders an got out the oxy propane kit to straighten the bent left side crash damage, it worked a treat and now looks good, there was also a bent chain adjuster an that was also put right, and we drilled out an tapped a couple of snapped bolts which hold on the rear center stand.
Tonight I've attached both sides of the frame back together an re-fitted the girder forks which still puzzle me as to how they come apart, I've only managed to take out one (yolk ?) bolt to grease and cant get the others out yet so tomorrow I'll chuck it on its side and concentrate my day soley on re-greasing the linkages, there coverd in things that look a bit like grease nipples but are half there size, but are not waisted like the ones I've seen but have short straight sides with a sprung brass ball on the top so I'm wondering if there was another type of grease / oil gun used in bygone times ?

Nice an straight :D

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's yoke, not yolk. The bolts on the girders might have worn and developed "Commando Shoulder", like the early Isolastics did. I knew somebody who sold his because he couldn't pull it apart to put new shims in.

The problem you will have is that the forks will flap about like a good 'un if you refit with worn parts. I think you will be performing surgery just to be on the safe side.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Gearnut thanks for looking but there not the same type as on this, I would be happy to take em apart an grease them manualy every 1000 miles for now but I just cant get the pigging things apart, I've took all the nuts off an the links all seem free and are all moving but they refuse to come away, I spent nearly all day yesterday on em an unless I've missed something they SHOULD just fall apart now :x !

AAARRRRRRRHHHHHHHH:-||

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Yes mate they where, they are defo oil nipples I think and one article helped me get my head around the fact early girders never had any replaceable bearings or bushes, this seems crazy now but in 1932 it wasnt exactly a pioneer bike but the were still sussing out a lot of things we now take for granted.

The forks are finally undone ! I think their wierd even by old girder fork standards, theres no bush's anywhere like you would normally find on a british bike an the bottom two linkages are a bit worn so I'll have to eventually bore them out an fit a bronze bush (if thats even possable as theres not to much meat on em), but for now I'm thinking of chucking them back together ( if I can remember how). I eventually got them apart by sussing that each bolt end has a right and left hand thread sticking through the forks from the inside, by turning the bolt one way both fork legs tighten or loosen, you have to turn two lots of bolts at the same time half a turn to get the off evenly, getting them back on however is proving to be as big as a ***** as getting them apart :roll: .

There was more good news as my new tyre, rim, and spokes arrived within the last couple of days, the wheel bulider has worked late to build it up for me, i didnt ask for him to work late on it but I was giving off 'I WANT AND NEED IT NOW' vibes (big kid), Its a thing of beauty to me and will be stared at for a while. Its all stainless an is blooming lovley :)

I'm going to regret the next bit but its the only way I'll remember in the long run...

Front wheel rim+ spokes+ building £205.
Front tyre £55.
Rim tape £1.50
Frame straightening £40

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This bushing - can you bore the worn holes just a smidgen or tad, perhaps even a gnatscock bigger and fill with hard solder/braze and then rebore to the correct size?

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
This bushing - can you bore the worn holes just a smidgen or tad, perhaps even a gnatscock bigger and fill with hard solder/braze and then rebore to the correct size?
Dont know mate, someone mentioned somthing called spray metal and reboring it but I've never done anything like it before, I've got a trusted engineer I'm picking a spindle up from tomorrow, I'll ask him about it.