WOW ! I thought I was on my own...

GoldenMotor.com

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
Schwalbe has also several types with "B" (50km/h) in their program.
Thank you for sharing the info about the Conti KKS10 2-22 M/C 26B TT. It is available in Germany and probably the better tire.

Multipaul

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Me sick bike parts are picked up now and are in Ferndale :)
Aint parcel tracking great !

Edit....Its friday and its now in San Francisco.....

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
For what it's worth if you're on a long descent, and have some type of direct drive, you can flip the choke on the carburetor and use the engine for some braking. By letting off the throttle, you mitigate some of the fuel wastage, and it's just as needed to cool your wheels/brakes.

Nice one and thanks for checking it out mate, I missed it myself after reading the book so dont really know if its a new reg or what but he showed me it in the msva manuel, it basicly splits mopeds up into two catagorys which are low or full powerd, he noticed it himself after testing its efficiancy on the rolling road, it states bicycle type brakes are ok for low powerd peds but not for full powerd, there are only a few other types of brakes out there including disc an drum, I can find a banded brake but its no cheaper than the Sturmy Archer drum brakes I've been looking at.
He started going on about rubber block brakes not being able to disapate heat desending a long hill and went on about the likelyhood of them braking up, you cant really argue with that....I did a bit but what can you do, he's probley right on paper even though I've never seen any burnt out blocks. Like I said at the start thanks for checking it out

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've just sent a message on Facebook to Schwalbe UK asking about suitable tyres. We shall see what we shall see, but hopefully there will be something in their stocks (nearly typed socks) to do the job.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A message from Schwalbe UK on road legal moped tyres:

"We do have moped tyres that fit 26" rims.

Article code is either

11322000 for 26 x 2.25 (2 1/4-22)
or
11323000 for 26 x 2.50 (2 1/2-22)

I can't tell you who we've sold any too because we haven't got any stock and haven't sold any for a while!

Because the tyres are nearly 70 mm wide, you will only be able to fit them to the rim. You won't be able to fit them into a standard dh/XC/ all mountain frame becasue of clearance. Unless of course you are custom building a frame to fit such wide tyres"

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Nice one, just make sure they have both speed and load ratings for use on the road before you buy them, the examiner said they go by this more than 'E' marks as their finding more and more stuff coming over from China has 'E' marks but dont meet our regs, there was a guy there getting a retest when I was there who had failed on his mirrors being to small even though they where 'E' marked.

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
Here are the Schwalbe bicycle tires according the ECE-R75 European norm. The identification of these tires is "B33" (B for 50km/h and 33 for 115kg).

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/pres...&ID_Seite=31&tn_mainPoint=Presse&tn_subPoint=

http://schwalbe.de/gbl/en/produkte/...gruppe=36&ID_Produkt=136&ID_Artikel=17&info=1

Art.-No: 11100138 is 26 x 1.75
and 3 various sizes in 28"
Art.-No: 11100007 is 28 x 1.40, 700 x 35C
Art.-No: 11100005 is 28 x 1.50, 700 x 38C
Art.-No: 11100140 is 28 x 1.75

These tires are available since the end of 2011.

Multipaul

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is what I love about the internet. Information is available worldwide; without being told either about Schwalbe or Continental, I wouldn't have had a clue where to start looking for legal rubber.

Incidentally, although I wasn't going to use it anyway, the dB rating it on the side of a strimmer engine I have. 112. The VOSA requirement is 91, and my understanding is that every 3dB increase is actually a doubling of the volume of the original number. This means that it's a very poor starting point for transport in Britain.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The noise this thing makes, it'll be bigger than the complete engine. To be fair, I've never ever met a 2 stroke that starts as easily.

Ryobi SS30. I'm wondering how strong the shaft is, whether it will drive a roller without breaking or eating it's bearings. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
2.75" (70mm) is probably too wide for many stock frames, but you may be able to spread some steel frames or use triple-tree forks.

A message from Schwalbe UK on road legal moped tyres:

"We do have moped tyres that fit 26" rims.

Article code is either

11322000 for 26 x 2.25 (2 1/4-22)
or
11323000 for 26 x 2.50 (2 1/2-22)

I can't tell you who we've sold any too because we haven't got any stock and haven't sold any for a while!

Because the tyres are nearly 70 mm wide, you will only be able to fit them to the rim. You won't be able to fit them into a standard dh/XC/ all mountain frame becasue of clearance. Unless of course you are custom building a frame to fit such wide tyres"

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
I've been tracking my parcel and me bits are stuck in San Fransisco an have been for three days now....hope there not being loaded onto a boat ! :-(
As from the 24th its somewhere in damp old blighty...dont know where yet though !

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm looking at restricting a mininmoto engine down to 1kw for legal purposes. Big problem is the silly small sprocket sizes, as low as 6 teeth, which might be ok in racing in short bursts, but I want something that lasts longer and is kinder to chains. There's a 4:1 reduction box available as well, that has an 11 tooth output, which isn't perfect, but it's better than a 6 or 7.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Dougy, do they dyno or otherwise speed test the bike for SVA, or do I just need to provide reliable evidence of output and speed?

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Dougy, do they dyno or otherwise speed test the bike for SVA, or do I just need to provide reliable evidence of output and speed?
Mine was'nt tested on dyno nor was it speed tested, I did bring the official importers engine specs stating power output and engine cc, dont remember him looking at it though !

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We have a mutual acquaintance, John Sidecar Hosker. Small world.

It will be just my luck to get the pedantic sod, so I'll see about getting some sort of dyno printout.

I talked to some minimoto boys at the w/e, restricting is easy enough. Small carb and teeny weeny tail pipe on the silencer. Also found that a Talon 6 bolt dished sprocket looks remarkably close to the hole spacings on a disc brake hub. Useful.

What did you use to get main and dip beams, or didn't they bother with that?