Stihl oil

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Has anybody had any experience with STIHL HP Ultra oil? It's a synthetic and STIHL's website says to mix it at 50:1, before and after break in. Should I mix this at 50:1 or something lower as I'm still breaking in my GT5 66cc. cvlt1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A couple of my first engines were broken in on 50:1 Stihl. Later ones were broken in using the Opti-2 @100:1. The earlier engines performed about the same on both oils but I have less oil residue with the Opti. Other than that, I'd say they were comparable.
If you spend some time reading about oil choices here, and there's plenty to read, you'll find about as many opinions as to what's best as there are choices of oil. Everyone has had good and bad luck. I prefer the Opti because of the cleanliness and lack of smoke. That said, others will chime in with their stories on many different oils. You'll see everything from the cheapest Wally World stuff to the most expensive and exotic synthetics. Essentially, it's what ever blows your hair back.

Tom

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well put, 2dr...

I'm one a da chimes... lol

I'd like to give that O2 a try sometime.

I have the greatest respect for Stihl integrity.
Ran em for years. It takes a loong time to wear one out.
rc

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Okay then today I drained my gas tank and re mixed from 32:1 to 50:1. It runs a lot cleaner and better now, just was worried I would seize the engine before. This HP Ultra is good stuff.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Simplicity itself ;) Drain the old fuel completely frm your tank, mix up a fresh batch, fill 'er up & ride.