Newbie Question

GoldenMotor.com

bookjunky4life

Jul 31, 2008
I have been investigating cheap transportation for my four mile trip to work each day. SUV mileage just isn't cutting it. I am looking into 49cc chain driven motors for my bicycle. My boyfriend is concerned the life of the motors would not be very long or that the motors would not be good for an eight mile round trip five times a week (flat rural roads). He's an auto mechanic but just doesn't know much about this type of motor. What motors would you guys recommend for a beginner for my transportation purposes?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello bookjunky, Welcome to the forum :)

I ride everyday to work round trip about 14miles. I've been using the same motor for five years and 4,000miles.

For fun I can put anywhere from 30-70miles on a trip. I also made a 140 mile trip on my little two-stroke.

These motors can be very reliable with the right care and maintenance.

The two strokes take a lot of maintenance and tinkering to keep them running but once you get the bug's worked out they are a blast.

You could also look into a four-stroke which has a lot less maintenance but the cost goes up. I have heard nothing but good things from the Titan that Dax sell's.

If reliability and maintenance is something that you are really worried about you might want to look into the Titan.......bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor
:ride2:

bookjunky4life

Jul 31, 2008
Thanks, that answers my concerns about of realistically driving one of these things to work. And will indeed help in my convincing same to my boyfriend:)

The more cc's, the more powerful the motor, correct? So a 50 cc vs the 70 or 80cc motors are not as powerful and I've read go about 20-25 mph while the 70/80 ccs go more like 35-45 mph. I've also read that the 50cc motors get about 200-250 mph and the larger motors get 100-150 mph. Is this correct? Is a 2-stroke the 50cc and a 4-stroke the larger cc?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The 50 and 70cc come as two strokes....the "80cc" is still a myth and never really been seen outside of the advertising print (they aren't really, they are 70cc as well).

Can't comment on the mpg figures other than to say I have seen 200 mpg with a 70cc.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome Bookjunkie! A person after my own heart:) A 4 stroke motor means that it has intake & exaust valves and does not require oil mixed into the fuel.
As a rule they are quiet and very dependable. The 2 stroke needs more TLC and can be made to run much faster than the 4 stroke. The avg life for both can excede 10,000 miles, depending on how you take care of them. Kind of like a boyfriendrotfl 4 strokes can be made very fast to. 2 stroke = more torque, 4 stroke = more power. Dax & Spookytooth both have some great motors & bikes to choose from. Look at it this way, I can go from Dallas Texas, to L.A. Calli for under 15.00 in gas!:ride2:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I can hear you. What kind of bike do you have? What kind of engine? Post some pics, tell us about your bike. We all like motorized bicycles here.......................

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome brucehall46 to the forum. We are all pretty laid back here. Politics?
Sorry, were all outrotfl Fun, advice, Good people? We have plenty! So about You? :ride2: