What Paint??

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Just ordered my engine kit for my next project,an old Murry Monterey

It's in pretty good shape but needs a paint job

I am going to have to go with the rattle can method ,

So what is the best brand and type of paint, I'm wanting to go high gloss black if that matters

Also any tips on prep work

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
As near as I can tell there is no rattle can paint that is fuel proof. My favorite rattle can is prolly Krylon.

Only a quality automotive type paint is gas proof. Baked on powder coat is the best.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's a little something I just discovered.
I've always had very good luck with Dupli Color automotive spray. It comes is lots of colors and goes on nice, is easy to color sand and lays good without orange peel. I tried their clear coat and found that gasoline eats it up. I now use Top Flite Luster Coat model airplane clear over my paint jobs. It is fuel proof and gives a good shine. But here's the discovery: My latest paint job is not clear coated, except for the fuel tank. I had a float stick a couple of days ago and fuel dripped down the seat tube, puddled on the bottom bracket and...didn't affect the paint at all. Not one run or blister. What this tells me is Dupli Color paint will take gasoline but their clear will not. Just my two cents worth.
Tom

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
one thing i've learned about most quality spray paints (krylon, dupli-, rustoleum, etc) is that once the paint cures, it's basically fuel proof.

it takes a week or so for a paint to cure, so if you can keep the fuel off it for long enough, it'll be fine.

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
Some basic colors of Rustoleum are fuel proof to an extent. Granted you need to do about 6 light coats and let it sit for a good week. Beyond that there is touch up paint and high end sprays for automotive use that you can buy but it's not cheap. Powder coat is definitely the best. Krylon? Probably the least fuel resistant out there, just FYI. Find some VHT and you'll probably be fine, the stuff is made to be heated up and spilled on, but will run a good $10+ a can.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
also, as a clear coat i've been using Dupli-Color Clear Coat Wheel paint. it's a pretty thick, hard coating, designed for aluminum wheels. supposed to be resistant to all sorts of chemicals. works great, but i haven't dumped any fuel on it yet.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
Since your going black, iv'e had great success with krylon appliance epoxy (rattle can)
its durable but it takes longer to dry than other rattle paints and like bairdco says they need to cure at least a week then they resist gas. i get it at home depot.

Last edited:

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
I have used the high heat engine paint, but it is brittle it will chip off.
Any paint will if not applied to a clean, proper surface ready for painting. Use the right paint the right way. All paint can get weathered over any given time if not used the right way.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Any paint will if not applied to a clean, proper surface ready for painting. Use the right paint the right way. All paint can get weathered over any given time if not used the right way.

High heat engine paint is liken to porcelain. Ive worked in an automotive auto body repair shop.

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Thanks guys

This is not going to be an anything special build, just a replacement for the point Beach my son claimed

There is a guy locally that advertises on Craig's List that powder coats for $50 but I wanted to keep this one as cheap as possible

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I have used the dupont engine enamels and they now have a clear top coat in the engine paint line up, at least the first i have seen. My son has spilt fuel numerous times on his tank and the paint holds up very well, no signs of damage at all. For black I think the engine enamel is amazing! it lays down so nicely and even with out a top coat is very glossy. I do from time to time spray a little in a cap and do some touch up on rock dings and such with a small paint brush- no matter what paint you use you will have chips eventually. Stay away from acrylic paints if possible, they are very weak.

Reb

Aug 24, 2010
Atascadero, Ca
I'd say clean your frame with rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth, sand it out, clean AGAIN with rubbing alcohol, and then use high heat BBQ paint. You can use a clear over that to get some gloss. If your frame is dirty, greasy, etc, your paint will come off no matter what. You'll have to repaint it eventually, but that's just part of the deal, right? ')

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
High Quality Primer(nobodies mentioned Primer) of the same make of the paint you're going to use will be a great investment. Don't mix'n match the primer, because every manufacture uses different catalysts and hardeners(or different ratio's at least). Dupont paints are durable, and even more so with a few coats of clear. But if your base isn't solid, gas won't matter if a stone will take out a chunk of it. :)

just my $0.02. gl.