Motorized bike for $50...!

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I found this motorized bike listed on craigs list a couple days ago, I went to look at it today and thought it was a good looking bike to fix up, the guy wanted $75 for it but I ended up leaving with it for $50, he said he bought it from a kid in a town about 90 miles from here and paid the guy $200 for it a little over a year ago, he said he got it started once and road it for a little ways down the street but could not keep the chain from coming off so he put it in the garage and it has been there collecting dust ever since, he had desided that he didnt have time to mess with it so he put it on craigs list, I really like the way the frame is made it's stretched a little longer than my other cruiser and it's a 7 speed with V brakes front & rear, I will take the engine off and tear in completely down before I do anything to it and as you can see, the way someone mounted this engine is completely wrong and just a big mess, that will be easy to fix and I will have this bike zooming down the road before too long I hope. anyway just wanted to share my great find.

If anyone knows who made the KULANA bike please let me know, I never heard of it before and it does have a sticker down on the frame where the cranks go through that says "Pacificcycles" so maybe some of you more knowledgable guys will know what it is, It is made in china so I know it aint something real special, but it is set up nice.

Attachments

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Nice catch... Can't beat $50.00, I bet you felt bad as you were driving away.... LOL

Mac

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice catch... Can't beat $50.00, I bet you felt bad as you were driving away.... LOL

Mac
Oh.....Yea.....! I felt bad that he didnt have 2 more of-em for that price LOL......!

The guy I got it from builds up bikes for a Salvation Army project that he and a few other guys do every year and then they give the bikes to kids who's parents cant afford to buy them a bike for Christmas, he also collects antique bicycles and now I know why It is so hard to find bike stuff around here.......this dude buys it all up and what he doesnt buy the people donate to the project for the kids. he has some very rare high dollar old bikes that he paid pocket change for, just made me sick listening to the stories all I could think was dang and I would have loved to have some of those old bikes, he had one sitting in the garage that was made in 1946 I cant remember the brand he called it but he gave $30 for it a few days ago and has it sold for $200 already the bike still has almost all its paint and looked awesome, so to make a long story a little shorter I really didnt feel all that bad only giving him the $50 because he is making a killing on the antique bikes he is finding and selling.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks azbill, so basically it's a Big Box Store bike that is kinda like an upgraded cranbrook with larger tubing, better brakes, stretched frame, multispeeds and nicer Alum. wheels, but still just a china made bike, I know some wouldnt have it maybe but I'm gonna get it going and ride the heck out of it and get $500 worth out of this $50 bike.

Thanks again for the info.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Map

So Do You Think Someone Gave Up On It And Donated To Him, That Sold It To You??

I Think You Will Have A Nice Looking Ride With A Little Work. Is The Discolor On The Front Of Engine From Exhaust Leak, Or Crankcase Leak? Really Like The Colors. A Little Mount Work And That May Be It. Good Luck, Ron

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Map

So Do You Think Someone Gave Up On It And Donated To Him, That Sold It To You??

I Think You Will Have A Nice Looking Ride With A Little Work. Is The Discolor On The Front Of Engine From Exhaust Leak, Or Crankcase Leak? Really Like The Colors. A Little Mount Work And That May Be It. Good Luck, Ron
The fellow I got it from said he bought it in Abilene Texas last year from A kid that had got into some trouble of some kind and needed the money real bad, he said he gave $200 for it and had only started the engine once in the last year, he said that it sounded real good but he couldnt keep the chain from coming off so he parked it with plans to make a project out of it, get it fixed up right and ride it in a parade down town sometime.

It looks to be exhaust leak, but I will completely take this engine apart and check the bearings ect. and replace any needed gaskets before I try to start and run it, and yes I think it will make a nice little ride when I'm done with it, thanks for the well wishes with it also.

Ride safe and have fun, God Bless
Shan

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You couldn't beat that deal with a stick in each hand.
Yea and it would have taken Chuck Norris and a real big stick to have beat me away from that deal....! I just couldnt pass that up, It's funny though when I got home with it my wife said how many of those things do you think you really need? I just looked at her and said as many as I wont...! and can find a good deal on, she just shook her head with a grin and walked away, but what I really wanted to say was come and lets go look at the shoes in your closet and then I will ask you that same question.......! But things said of that nature tend to put one in the Dog House so I just let it go and put my $50 bike in the shop with nothing else said.....and I kinda think that was the best way to handle that one.....

.rd.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Well, I Guess I Will Post My $50. Motor Bike.

It Was On Craigslist For $100. I Was In A Big Hurry To Get To Another Listing. So I Did Not Look It Over Well. It Did Look Rough, But I Thought The Tank Might Come In Handy And It Had A Rear Rack. Offered $50. and got it.

When I Looked It Over A Bit At Home. There Was No Muffler, You See It Had Been Run A Lot With Out The Muffler! The Rack Was A Cobbled Pos. Motor Ready To Fall Out. I Have Never Tried To Start It. It Has Been Leaning Right Where It Is Since Bought, Over A Yr Ago!! But Someday I May Be Thankful I Bought It! Lol, Lets Hope Not. I Have Made Some Very Great Buy`s On Cl.

Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Welllll,,,,NEAT TIMES,you could attatch the front to an old push mower and take it out in the front yard and tell the neighbors its a rare vintage riding mower ,made by monks in china,just havent got it started yet,just needs some TLC ,rare not many made ,but parts still avalible,as is ,make an offer,lol,,,,,,,,,The left chain looks good,no idler

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'd say it's about time to get that ole goat going and get your $50 worth out of it, a piece of 3/4" steel conduit and a small piece of 1' X 2"X 1/8"-3/16" flat strap material for a flange put you a lawnmower muffler on the end of that little set-up and fire that bugger up and enjoy it a little and a can or two of Krylon would make the old girl look pretty nice also, I'm sure we would all like to here that you are cruising around on that thing before to long.

.wee. brnot

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I'd say it's about time to get that ole goat going and get your $50 worth out of it, a piece of 3/4" steel conduit and a small piece of 1' X 2"X 1/8"-3/16" flat strap material for a flange put you a lawnmower muffler on the end of that little set-up and fire that bugger up and enjoy it a little and a can or two of Krylon would make the old girl look pretty nice also, I'm sure we would all like to here that you are cruising around on that thing before to long.

.wee. brnot
Do you use galvanized steel conduit from Home Depot?

Pat

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hey Guy`s

Thanks Or The Tips. But, Its Been 96 In The Shade. That Would Melt A Lot Of Lard Off Me!!

I HAVE A PIC OF A PEDAL MOWER, THAT IS CLOSE ENOUGH FOR ME.

THAT $50 UNIT IS LIKE MONEY IN THE BANK! (SAND BANK).

PIC OF THE "DREAM CATCHER" CRAZY HORSE SENT ME. LOL

RON .cvlt1

Attachments