My build thread

GoldenMotor.com

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I'm just starting a build thread that keeps a running log all the trials and tribulations of a first time build. I just ordered my engine kit today so the project is underway.

Bought a new bike at Sports Authority that was on clearance on 5/25/2010. Bike cost $89 and is a no frill coaster brake beach cruiser type bicycle made by Iron Horse (at least that's what the label says, who knows which Chinese factory it came from.)

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I ordered a Grubee Skyhawk GT5. I was thinking that I'd probably have to fab something up for the front mount. I find out when it gets here.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
Look what showed up this afternoon. I wasn't home when it arrived, I had to leave Fed Ex a note to leave it on the step. I would have been PO'd if they made me pick it up on Tuesday.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
The wife fell asleep so I was able to open the box and do an inventory. My projects weren't cutting into our "quality time".

Opened the box, it was double boxed and everything was packed tight. There was bubble wrap on most items, but it was packed so tight that most of the bubbles were popped.

Layed out all the parts on my saw and did an inventory. Everything seems to be there. We'll find out if everything works. I hope there are no DOA parts.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
Thanks! I hope it runs as good as it looks.

I mocked it up last night and noticed a few things that I need to figure out. I slept on it then did a bit of internet searching this morning/afternoon. I hope you guys like pics, I'll probably be putting a lot of them in this thread to document my progress. Maybe they can help somebody down the line, and they'll definitely help me remember what the heck I did.

Looks good so far.

The problems:

1) I can't use the forward tank strap because of the head gusset
2) I'll have to figure out how to secure the forward engine mount
3) The muffler is in the same plane as the crank arm.

My solutions:

1) I drill a hole thru the gusset and secure the front of the tank with new straps or a modified L-bracket. I'll secure both straps to the screw that runs thru the hole.

2) I'll go ahead and use the drill thru adapter and fill the gap up with washers. I stole the idea from That's Dax's website. In my pre-project research, I saw the pic, but I couldn't remember how it was done. I found it this morning and it wa so simple. I did find a lot of posts saying not to drill into the frame. I figure that it is OK because it is an oversized tube (1.5in)to begin with.

3) Hopefully the muffler mounting strap will pull the muffler closer to the front downtube. If not, I'll persuade it with something.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Picture below you can see what I did to mount the tank on the Nerve B1. If the muffler strap does not give you the clearance you need a little heat and bending on the muffler looks like would do the job.

I never like to recommend drilling the frame but I did do it to my D-Back Della Cruz. With well over 8,000 miles on it I have had no problems with the drilled frame. But you may want to look here for better ideals ....*all man my pc is screwing up and I cannot post links* Check the Mounting Techniques forum and at the very top on a sticky is "Oversized Tube Problem Solved"

Attachments

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I officially started my build today and I'm already stuck. Went to mount the rear sprocket on the wheel. I never saw any good drawings of the stack up so I guessing that all 5 plates go on the inside I put the set of three on top of the unequal pair making sure to stagger the gaps..

The rubber fought me for a while but I overcame them and got the sprocket on. The sprocket hole fit my hub so no modification was needed. The coaster brake arm cleared the bolt heads so no modification was needed there either. All I had to do was trim the flange on the dust cap and I was ready to put it together.

Torqued all the fasteners in a star pattern with a torque wrench, then checked runout. Lateral and end runout was good. Then I tried to pedal and it wouldn't budge foreward or backwards. Something got jacked up in the hub and it went downhill from there. Took it apart and tried adjusting the guts inside so the axle nut would fit better, no luck. Took it apart again and one of the races fell out and a ball popped out.

I think I'm done for the day. I have to figure out thes rear hub and find a replacement bearing.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
Figured out the problem with the brake. I must have tightened the bolts too tight which deformed the hub. Removed the sprocket and reinstalled, everything works now.

I didn't make an entry last night due to my frustration so I guess I'll go ahead and do it now.

I started by removing th back wheel and then removing the coaster brake arm. It's as simple as sticking the box end of a combination wrench on the arm, then loosening the jam nut that holds it on.

The arm and dust cap come right off after you remove the nut. I had to grind the lip off the dust cap so that I can reuse it with the sprocket. This is after I started to grind the bottom lip I ended up removing it entirely.

I then cut one of the rubber couplers between the holes and mounted it on the hub.

I put both sets of metal backing plates inside the wheel making sure to stagger the seams. I installed the rear sprocket then checked it for runout by holding a wrench at a fixed point and listening if the sprocket hit it. I then marked the bolts for a star pattern and tightened them in sequence. I used a sharpie, you can remove it with rubbing alcohol. I torqued them to 10.5Nm which is standard for an M6 bolt. For anyone interested it goes 1 9 4 7 2 5 8 3 6

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
Seems like I didn't do a whole lot today. I cut a slot in the head gusset for the tank mounting clamp. The top tube is arched so the tank is still a bit wobbly, I'll get some innertube or electrical tape tomorrow so that I can wrap the top tube where the clamps are.

While I had the dremel out, I trimmed the rear fender to clear the chain, I also had to trim the new chainguard to clear the tire. It's still rough cut for fit, I'll have to pretty the cuts up.

I also started to fab up the chain tensioner bracket. Got a piece of 1 1/2 X 1/8 in flatstock and cut it with the horizontal bandsaw. I started to mount it but I got the wrong sized adel clamps.

The entire bike is pretty much mocked up. I mounted the hand controls, I was expecting a fight with the old grips, but they just rolled off the bars.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
Started to finalize everything, I finished the tensioner mount. I don't know how stable it will be but at least it isn't as dangerous as the one that came with the kit.

I also mounted all the ancillary items. The strap for the CDI wouldn't fit on the downtube so I just used a tiewrap. The tiewrap broke an ear off the CDI box which lead me to add another one. I'm sure the strap would have broken it also.

The arc in the top tube isn't all that drastic, but it made the gas tank wobble. I bought some vinyl tubing to use as spacers under the tank. Worked like a champ, the tank is rock solid now. You can see (kinda) how I cut a slot in the head gusset for the front tank strap.

I'm on base turning final, hopefully I can get a test run in the next day or so.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
IT LIVES!!!

Tied up all the control cables and figured out the clutch cable return spring. I tried every combination possible with the springs before I found the right one. The big spring was throwing me off till I found the small blurb in the instructions that it is just for heat protection.

Rode it around the block a few times and let it sit idling in the driveway for a while. Everything worked as advertised. The twist throttle has a sticky spot in it, I'll shoot some Boeshield in the control and see if it clears up.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thats Great (^) Hope you get many enjoyable miles out of your new ride. I have had throttle housings where I had to go in with a hobby knife or something and clean up the poor molding that sometimes makes the throttle stick and not move smoothly.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
great looking bike,and is that a red Festiva
No, it's another project of mine. An 89 Honda Civic Si hoping it will be a nice autocross car. Did a twin cam engine swap and currently re-doing a rear suspension with billet aluminum pieces along with a rear disc brake swap and larger front brakes. I have all the parts, but I need to buy larger wheels to clear the new rotors. Problem is, new wheels and tires are a bit pricey right now.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
That will be a good looking car,all I could see in the bike pic was the gas door and the pin stripe w/the door handle looked pretty close from memory