What happened!

GoldenMotor.com

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
On my way to work today,
Everything was running fine was about 2 miles from my destination. Suddenly my motor dies without any warning.

On the weekend I was working on water proofing my bike. I had redone my wiring to make it warter proof so I think connection came loose I reconnected everything tonight, but I did not have time to test it.
:-||

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
if the wiring isnt the problem check to see if your fuel filter in the tank is plugged. It happened to be twice

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
To die that suddenly it does sound like the wiring. Especially since that is what you touched last. Usually a fuel filter will have it fussing and sputtering for a bit before it dies. If it isn't the wiring then your CDI might be suspect. If you can check to see if you have a spark.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok gas is fine( gas (flow from the tank is the same as before), clutch seems tight, all wires are fine, I know my mix is good (Plug is brown) must be magnito or the coil< next i will have to test for sparkzpt

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Remove the spark plug and reconnect it to the wire.

Get your rear wheel off the ground somehow.

Hold the side of the plug against the engine block and turn the pedals by hand (be sure your other hand is not too close to the spark plug gap).

zpt

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I tested for spark I did not see any so I think maybe my cdi is finished, there was gas on the plug so i know t6he engine is getting gas. I should be able to see the spark??

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The problems can be that the plug wire isn't contacting the CDI properly, that the CDI is bad, that you missed a problem in your wiring ( I know you checked it), the kill switch is shorted, or the magneto went south. FR31 posted some ohmmeter readings he got off a good system somewhere if you can find that thread you might be able to narrow down your possibilities. If you can afford it swapping parts is the quick and dirty way to check it out. You should probably keep spares around anyway!

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
i changed my high tension wire, resoldered any connections to be sure and disconnected my kill switch before testing for spark, I ordered a new CDI with a few other parts last night from ThatDax, I am fortunate enough to have over 1500 miles on this bike so far..shft.

Thanks for all your help.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
OK I finally got my bike running again today it would not idle (Stalled as soon as ther clutch is disengaged) and was running hot.

It was the cdi .

I have Not resealed the mag cover or clutch cover yet could this cause an air leak.
It did back fire once when I was trying to start it (but not this time), and it was not a loud backfire

When I tested it the compression seemed good.

However I am happy it is at least running again

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
yep I agree dont seal the covers, it wont be any use. With a screwdriver to push the seal evenly back in its place carefully not to damage the crankshaft gear and mag rotor.. also there may be an air leak at the intake which causes backfires at cold start.