Snow!

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
With winter coming snow should be coming soon too does anyone ride in the snow? I'm thinking about trying it this winter, what is it like? I saw some YouTube videos it looks like a lot of fun.

The Ping

Sep 24, 2015
The Moon
I was planning on it. I read some tips for riding in the rain (basically get some gasket maker for the gear and magneto cases). I also figure on getting a carb with an air filter and making some sort of shield for it. I'll grab some sheet metal to form a tube 3-4 inches tall and use a hose clamp to secure it around the base of the air filter. Should keep any crap from flying onto it without restricting the flow much if at all. There's also a video on how to make your own studded tires here. As an aside, I'd probably also use machine screws so I could get nuts on them. With the motor on I could see those unsecured screws popping right back into the tire.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Riding in winter is totally doable, definitely calls for proper clothes and and several extra notes for safety and maintenance. Check out those threads Dan linked, especially the "Winter Motorized Bicycling, tips and tricks". When the roads are clear and dry, there's not much difference other than clothes and being careful of frostbite. After or during storms is a different animal. Snow isn't so bad, but you just need to slow down. Straight lines are great, turning needs to be slowed, and you've got to keep a serious eye out for ice. If you've never had your front wheel go out from under you before on ice, it's a very special experience. It happens faster than you can believe. The other thing to remember, is that anywhere north where plows are operating, they pose a significant danger to you. They aren't expecting to see bikers out there in a storm or even on a dry day afterwards when small plow trucks are still cruising around with their plows on their trucks. As winter gets on and the snowbanks start crowding the roads, there's less room for everyone, and no one is expecting a bike to be on the road. It also gets dark much earlier, especially here in Maine being so far east in the time zone. For that reason and all the others, I'm not in a place where it's particularly safe for me to be commuting to and from work, but I go out for short fun rides during daylight hours. I mostly stick to my pedal bikes in winter just cause I need the excercise anyway!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I couldn't agree more with you, Kinghtscape. Ice really is the major fear, for me. Second only to folks opening their car door as you speed past. (Speed don't hurt but sudden stops do!)

I spent 16 years at sea and learned that foul weather gear (or what I called foul language gear" go ahead, swear at me!) If you kept the wind out and off, ya stayed much warmer. Forgot about it until BA suggested it in the thread knightscape suggested. Great advise and works wonders. (Rain gear)

Just to add. Keep your chest, feet and hands warm. Ya can make hand guards from soda bottles or buy them. Huge difference in enjoying yer ride.

I can't find it but there is a pic of doughnuts I did in the snow in front of our house. Carol thought I was showing off until she did the laundry. The throttle got stuck at wide open and I was just trying to crash into the snowbank.

It's all fun and games until you ram your wife's car's rear end with a MB.

.shft.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
My experience is that you can be comfortable enough down to just a few degrees above zero F if you dress and protect yourself from wind properly. So cold isn't all that big of a deal.

Clear roads with occasional ice patches are not a problem if you have studded tires.

I did find myself feeling insecure on rough hard-packed snow/ice. As fall is approaching I've been working on ways of getting my center of gravity lower. And I expect to do better with that rough ice this year.

But it's not a slam dunk. That, to me, is that hardest part of winter.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I've done it for a couple seasons. Not anymore since I have moved to a rural area with narrow roads. Be smart-be safe. Wear a full face helmet and attach a flasher to the back of it

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't snow ride here in Phoenix, it is 105 degrees here on October 1st.

But, if I were to snow ride it sure wouldn't be on a regular size tire 2-stroke.

I can't even imagine trying to bump start a 2-stroke on a freezing cold day on snow or ice.

Now something like this on the other hand could be a lot of fun in the snow.

Pull start, automatic clutch, big fat tires, and gears.
For fun go race snow mobiles ;-}

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Anyone have a opinon on the snow chains for a bike? https://www.slipnottraction.com/
I liked the idea. But the link didn't even include a price.

I suppose a lot will depend on your riding conditions. If you're in a somewhat urban area where you can count on a lot of plowed pavement, then chains might not be the best thing.

But if you can count on snow cover most everywhere you ride, then they might serve you well.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Their only 95 dollars for a pair and I live in a city but I don't plan on using the bike for commuting I have a car for that I mostly use my bike for pleasure and trail riding I do plan on being in at least 6 inches of snow at all times maybe even more if it has the power. I have some friends with snowmobiles so I could also just have them break in a trail for me after big storms.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We used to have some winter/snow videos from a member, Dagger, from Moscow. I checked and they've all been removed and are no longer posted. His original posts were from 09. Too bad. There were some great winter riding scenes. Some racing in the snow too. Anyone remember those?

Tom

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine

I wonder how zip-ties would work in a pinch as snow 'chains'......

A lot of guys up this way do that for trail riding, never done it myself. I've heard they work ok for snow kind of like a paddle tread on a dune buggy, but give no lateral help. Don't do anything for you on ice, might actually be worse. You can make chains like the ones Cylon linked above out of hardware store materials and even old brake cables for a few bucks if you feel like being handy. Those are a sweet off the shelf option.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
We used to rap road around our tires when we were kids . Wonder how it would work if you took some tires and cut sections out about 2"? Long. and atach he'd then to some kind of chain or cable so you could take them on and off,just a thought...........Curt

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Can't, I have v brakes
That would for snow chains as well, unless you have disc or bub brakes you can't use anything other than tire studs.

Which reminds me of a story.
My wife spent a winter in Colorado and put studded tires on the van.

We she got back one tire had developed a slow leak so I took it up the Firestone to patch it.

The young employee took one look and stammered 'Of course it has a leak! The tire is full of nails!'

I laughed until I cried as the manger explained to him what studded tires are.