Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
Mine has those handy reverse instruction also. I wish they had a sticker for "Not knuckles until chuck jaws stop", no stitches so not that bad.

Mine was making this bad sound like bearings going out. Turns out motor driven pulley had no set screw and motor shaft was straight so it was wobbling around. Had to drill/thread set screw in pulley. That is the sort of thing one endures with HF stuff.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
I cut threads by holding material in chuck and then holding tap or die in vice with fixture or holding tap or die by hand in holder. Lathe chuck is spinning 50rpm so easy to get away from. Plus that gear reduction I have hooked to drive chuck I can adjust belt to slip at whatever torque seems safe.

So you use traditional taps and dies, someday maybe I'll get lathe that is thread cutting capable.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Mine has those handy reverse instruction also. I wish they had a sticker for "Not knuckles until chuck jaws stop", no stitches so not that bad.

Mine was making this bad sound like bearings going out. Turns out motor driven pulley had no set screw and motor shaft was straight so it was wobbling around. Had to drill/thread set screw in pulley. That is the sort of thing one endures with HF stuff.

hehe.

...and ya jinxed me. mill sounds like a bad bearing.. gotta look

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I still hadn't tried to cut threads the right way with my lathe, but I do have all the change gears there so when I decide to learn how to do it and get some practice stock I'm at least ready... This little thing does come in handy here at the shop tho and I've used it a lot more for actual work than I thought I would at first... like when I had to special order a custom tie rod for a 65 fastback mustang with aftermarket rack & pinion steering and the tie rod they sent was about an inch too long but identical to the original, I was able to chuck it up and use a parting blade then put a new face on the part so it looked like the other side perfectly and fit like it needed to.
I've also used it a lot just to true up all my brass drifts and re face them after some severe abuse etc...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Have you considered making one, IWW? Hmmm, bet a drill press could be shored up and then just need a cross slide vice....

Not the kits though. Most have plastic gears. That I have seen.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
My first "mill" was a HF wood router that I mounted on a drill press post, bolted an XY vice to the base. I suppose it was better than no mill but it didn't turn out nearly as handy as I thought it might.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Have you considered making one, IWW? Hmmm, bet a drill press could be shored up and then just need a cross slide vice....

Not the kits though. Most have plastic gears. That I have seen.
Drill press will work until the first time you get chatter. Then it will spit the chuck right off the taper. :p

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Any pictures, Chain. Still sounds cool.

got me thinking a shaft driven by a shaft. The former sliding inside the pulley.........

======================================================

Oh No, Dave. I did not mean to say that using a drill press as a mill (laterally) is at all a good idea!

If the bearings hold, the chuck will fly off. As you said

But properly supported and a proper receiver, it would house and work well.

Last edited:

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
You can kind of see the homemade mill through the bicycle frame. Bike frame was just simple basic frame for 6' 7" 300lb 50 something year old guy who had never ridden comfortably on a bike in his life. So I made him a big bike and finally he found bike riding fun. Still trying to learn mig weld with HF flux core.

Frank & Stein Bicycles 006.JPG

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool bike!

I swear we went to different school together, Chain.

Got a mig a while back and am teaching myself to weld. Making a pulse jet for a bike, *evil snicker*

Got it with a/from Northern tool. 30% higher price for the same dang thing!

bummer. was 4 yrs ago and I still suck@it. But there is one post; "You welded what to what!?" Another was "Poor bikes. Dan is getting a welder" LOL

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=25137

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
I cant wait to get a decent mig with bottle, but then I'll have no excuses for my crappy welding. One thing I have learned is to heat up joint to be welded with torch first, helps some.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
For bike frame type stuff my plan is to put together a propane/oxy rig for brazing. I need to find a cheap used oxygen concentrator then cheap brazing.