Hit By a Veichle

GoldenMotor.com

jsilva51

Sep 9, 2014
Weslaco, Texas
I recently build my first engine, a two stroke flying horse bicycle engine kit. i had been riding to and from work for about two weeks. it is only 2.3 miles away from my home and i drive on neighborhood roads. this past Thursday i was hit by a vehicle. i do not remember a single thing from the day. i suffered a concussion i received a few stitches to the face and have busing on my legs. i am glad i did not break any bones. i do plan on continuing to ride as soon as i get my bike up and running. i will need a new clutch lever and a new muffler. that's all i seem to have damaged during the hit. any advice on how to go about my accident?

.bf.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
got no advice 'cept learn to heal fast - just dropped one at 30mph 'bout 1/2 hour ago - gash on head, ripped toenail off big toe, knees, elbow, & hip road rashed pretty deep

POS bike is low-rider with 80degree girder front end in for wiring & tuning - picked up a speed wobble at 25 & at 30 I couldn't hold it any more with the drop-bars lower than the exhaust port (probably coulda held it if I didn't have these old man arms no thicker than a strand of spaghetti)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
got no advice 'cept learn to heal fast - just dropped one at 30mph 'bout 1/2 hour ago - gash on head, ripped toenail off big toe, knees, elbow, & hip road rashed pretty deep

POS bike is low-rider with 80degree girder front end in for wiring & tuning - picked up a speed wobble at 25 & at 30 I couldn't hold it any more with the drop-bars lower than the exhaust port (probably coulda held it if I didn't have these old man arms no thicker than a strand of spaghetti)
Yeah, hope you guys heal up fast.

Crassius, what's up with you? With age is supposed to come wisdom.

When the front end goes unstable at 25 you are supposed to shut it down, not gas it up to 30. What were you thinking?

jsilva - if you don't know what happened you just have to go with the flow for now. Lost memory is serious, take your time, do what the doctors say.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I was thinking that a disk on the front is no good in a wobble & he had no pads in the rear brake. No biggie, as racing 'cycles in the 70s when they were 300lb heavier than today's 'cycles was a lot like falling down for a living : )

Kinda miss those old-time steering dampers in the gooseneck tho.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
If the driver that hit you was a fault, don't be shy about seeking
compensation. Don't get a lawyer right away or his insurer refuse
to negotiate. Find out what they'll offer first.
I don't know how badly you were hurt, but even if you feel fine,
concussions can have long term effects. Lawyer up only when
their best offer is totally an insult. The courts can take years.
As a pedestrian in a school cross walk, I was run over by a gal
running late for work & putting on makeup doing 50 in a 20mph zone.
My sorry luck was that she was uninsured, & my bones were in more
than a dozen pieces. I have a huge judgement against her of which
I have not seen one penny in more than twenty years.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Bicycles can go over 30, but a regular bike with no suspension
is not designed to go that fast with a motor. Not saying you
can't go that fast but the stresses on the axle/frame connection
etc. make it a risky idea. If you want to go over 30, at least
a front suspension would be a good idea.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I see this is an older post but I hope you guys healed up fast and completely...
I do agree on making sure the bike is up to the task before going over 30mph and not to try to push it faster if you feel any wobbles, work all that out before trying again. I got one that dead 42 mph but it got wobbly just over 30 when I first built it,adding a girder type front end and a playback seat to shift my weight further back as well as the right spring rate up front made mine rock solid stable, the front spring really helps remove most the shock loads off the frame, but still gotta watch out for other people on the road in the caged variety, in a collision they will always win.
its also a good idea to wear a helmet, boots, and gloves when going over 25 on public roads. A crash at 30+ can be really bad if not wearing at minimum those 3 items.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Duh, guess I shoulda checked the date,oops. Anyway I should
add that improper tire pressure can play havoc at speed too.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
OUCH! Darn it!
I swear there are a lot of motor bikers that really need to look into buying a small motorcycle. All these things you do to make it safer (better brakes, suspension, frame geometry, quality tires) are all standard features of small motorcycles.
They can be had used for less than some of these bikes cost.

I understand the no license guys doing this, but the rest of the bicycle motorheads should consider a little m/c.
Really. It could save your lives.
I once traded a pentax camera for a Honda CB200T. It was a little twin cylinder bike perfect for plonking around or riding to work (as long as you stayed off the freeway).
I had about $175 in it.
Why kill yourselves?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
OUCH! Darn it!
I swear there are a lot of motor bikers that really need to look into buying a small motorcycle. All these things you do to make it safer (better brakes, suspension, frame geometry, quality tires) are all standard features of small motorcycles.
They can be had used for less than some of these bikes cost.

I understand the no license guys doing this, but the rest of the bicycle motorheads should consider a little m/c.
Really. It could save your lives.
I once traded a pentax camera for a Honda CB200T. It was a little twin cylinder bike perfect for plonking around or riding to work (as long as you stayed off the freeway).
I had about $175 in it.
Why kill yourselves?
There is wisdom in what you are saying. These builds can easily become money pits and unless you know what you're doing they can be unsafe. If the interest is solely in transportation either for pleasure or for commuting one might well be better off with a used moped or small motorcycle.

That said, there is another whole aspect to what we are doing here. Building your own motorbike can be a very cool thing. It makes an interesting project and in the process you become very familiar with your machine. Because you built it, you also know how to repair it. And like anything else custom made, you can make your motorbike suit your needs, budget and tastes. Some of us put a lot of time, thought and energy into our builds and when the day finally comes that we take it out for the first ride... it is time for big smiles and celebration.

We are also part of a community of like minded people, some of whom become riding or building buddies. For me one of the best things about motorbikes is this great community of people who bring a lot of know how to the table. Some are mechanics as to be expected, some are designers or welders or engineers or just about anything else. I've learned a lot here and built some bikes I'm truly proud of. Their value goes beyond money since they have become a part of who I am and I have become part of what they are. Ownership through buying ready made and owning through effort and creativity are very different kinds of ownership.
SB

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Slog, you have a point, The problem being that MBers are hopelessly
addicted to tinkering. A small reliable motorbike is totally out of the
question.

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Yeah, I had a lot of fun cobbling up my motor bike. But I also had a lot of fun customizing motorcycles. They were almost always liter bikes or bigger, though.
There's no comparison to a light weight, home built (unique) motorized bicycle, I can see that.
I'm just afraid someone's going to make a big splash in the media, going 60 and getting killed on one. Then we will all lose what little privileges we have to motorize them.
I'd truly hate to see that, this is too much fun to risk it all just to get splattered somewhere.
I wish I could write to explain my thoughts better. I don't want to come off as some nerf world nanny state busy body old woman out here.
;)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Very true... I personally own 3 motorcycles and they all have their place in my life, they have all been customized by me and have numerous upgrades.
I started this with the motorized bicycles just out of pure fun, its an easy hobby in comparison but its also a fun one. I came in with a plan to build one alongside another friend so we could see who could build a faster bike... all just out of fun, but we both toot layoff notices at work and I already bought a kit... needless to say I built mine and I was hooked. My friend was able to keep his job at Boeing but he ended up having to relocate. I used my severance pay to start my own auto shop so now we're both still financially capable to buy a small motorcycle or 3 but these things are. So much more fun to tinker with, not to mention there is a huge price difference between upgrading one if these and a Harley, or even a 200cc dirt/street bike.
I just enjoy the build, the upgrading, and finally the ride.... I even choose to ride mine over the sportstrr in the mornings to do my taco runs etc... I can push it out the office door and no need to open up the main shop door so its quick and convenient that way, but its the fun factor that keeps me going to it instead of the motorcycles.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
My other motive for MBs is that I'm old and in no hurry. I'm perfectly
content to putt along at 16 mph and watch the grass grow.(no pun
intended)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Even though its a few months old, It's still a good thread. I've never been hit on my MB so far, (Knock on wood.) But my shop manager is another story. Eight times to date. I tell him Thank God he's not a cat or he's only got one shot left. This time the young man that hit him drove off laughing. Another guy saw it all and chased down the guy and got his plate number. My guy should be Okie rich pretty soon. The dude had insurance but the lawers are dragging their feet.
I've had some close calls that left me stopped in the middle of the street screaming lewd things at some little old lady. I'm sure everybody watching thought I was crazy. Cage drivers do stupid things in front of MB's, Probably thinking it's only a bicycle and not doing 30mph. But I've said it before too, If ya wanna do much more than 30mph, get a motorcycle.
fatdaddy.usflg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
There is wisdom in what you are saying. These builds can easily become money pits and unless you know what you're doing they can be unsafe. If the interest is solely in transportation either for pleasure or for commuting one might well be better off with a used moped or small motorcycle.

That said, there is another whole aspect to what we are doing here. Building your own motorbike can be a very cool thing. It makes an interesting project and in the process you become very familiar with your machine. Because you built it, you also know how to repair it. And like anything else custom made, you can make your motorbike suit your needs, budget and tastes. Some of us put a lot of time, thought and energy into our builds and when the day finally comes that we take it out for the first ride... it is time for big smiles and celebration.

We are also part of a community of like minded people, some of whom become riding or building buddies. For me one of the best things about motorbikes is this great community of people who bring a lot of know how to the table. Some are mechanics as to be expected, some are designers or welders or engineers or just about anything else. I've learned a lot here and built some bikes I'm truly proud of. Their value goes beyond money since they have become a part of who I am and I have become part of what they are. Ownership through buying ready made and owning through effort and creativity are very different kinds of ownership.
SB
very well said SB,

You nailed it perfectly here in your words...

Map