what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

put the motor back together, but need a new chain breaker to put the engine chain back on.

also gonna look at some forks at the bike shop to see if they got any that will fit the chopper

treyoh5

Apr 29, 2011
Miami, Fla.

Took the bike out for a little cruise today and raise a few smiles. Still having tuning woes with my Cnsv1, installed a mirror i bought today and front brakes off a donor bike that was given to me today.

Anyone notice an attitude problem with employees of bike stores when you tell them what you built jeez/ end rant...

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Most bike shops have a total "I, Spandex-Man, am holier than thou" attitude around here. But of course, bicycle riders in the Boise area are all traditional purists.

(the few exceptions to the rule do exist, of course - though it's only a few)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I swapped my 63t chainring sprocket for a 72t sprocket. I got to ride it today. The lower gear ratio wasn't really noticeable. The gears I normally use wind up a little faster. I'll notice the difference tomorrow, when I climb the steep ramp at work.

The chain jumped for the first time in months. The bike chainring is dished, and I might have installed it bass-ackwards. I noticed that the bike chain rides more inward, closer to the frame. There is also a clicking sound and feel, coming from the chainring area. The chain skips a beat sometimes, something that wasn't happening until I replaced the engine's drivetrain sprocket.

I rode slowly back home on the bikepath, which is what I do when my bike is ailing. I'll ride more slowly to work tomorrow, until the issues are rresolved.:-||

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Hey Dan, have you thought of using a screw jack type of device similar to what the SBP shift kit uses? Visually speaking, it would blend in seamlessly into the motor mount/ bike.
As for the improvement it the engine's performance, I don't know for sure. What are the chances that the original spark plug cap had a poor connection to the spark plug wire? Or perhaps from the cap to the thread on spark plug nipple?
Not sure I am fully following GearNut. (but on 1st cup of coffee, lol) can you post a link or a pic to what yer thinking?

The plug thing is wild Buddy. The difference was night and late afternoon. (not quite day and night) I have swapped em out before with no real change. Is odd and dunno. The terminal cap was on good and tight with out needing a sledge to separate it.

You got me thinking, it would be real easy to just use a bigger rear pulley and run the shaft over to the rt side for some SBP shifter kit action.

Really is what I love about these things. Always some thing to learn or explore. Be really cool to have gears on HF. All that grunt with options.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Most bike shops have a total "I, Spandex-Man, am holier than thou" attitude around here. But of course, bicycle riders in the Boise area are all traditional purists.

(the few exceptions to the rule do exist, of course - though it's only a few)
Yeah thats true, I'm thankful my local bike shop isn't threatened in any way by the motorized bikes, he does stress that it would be a good idea to use better quality bikes for these projects rather than the el-cheap-O's, he just said he sure would hat eto see someone get hurt because of a failure from a broke axle or something like that.

Basically he just likes to sell me stuff reguardless of what I'm putting it on, in a small town like here we say "beggars cant be choosers", only so much business in a town of 20,000 people, I have been to his shop and when a customer comes in he may take them out to see my bike and then ask me to explain what all I've done to it....thats kinda fun, but I did have one fella that was a spandex-r that the owner was talking to about it and you could see the discuss on the guys face......the owner picked up on the guys attitude and back off the motorized bike stuff.......I just grinned and got my stuff together and cruised off with all eyes and grins toward me......

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I replaced the engine's 62t chainring sprocket to 72t. That lowered my total gear ratio from 32.46-24.82-21.96-19.09-16.23-14.32-12.41 and 10.5:1 in eighth gear...
to 37.08-28.37-25.09-21.82-18.55-16.36-14.1 and 12:1 in eighth gear.

The gears are closer in ratio now, with an extra gear between first and second gear. There is still a big gap between first and second, because first gear is the stump-pulling, up-the-ramp gear. Now, instead of using only five gears, I can shift down to sixth gear and still be pulling hard.

This is all theoretical, but I'll find out when I commute to work.

I took it for a test ride yesterday, but couldn't see a marked increase in performance yet. The first few gears might've been a bit snappier. I'm having issues with the drivetrain, due to this sprocket swap. I need to address these problems before doing a series of comprehensive testing.

The bicycle chain jumped off its 30t chainring sprocket, a mile into the test ride. I was doing 30 mph on flat ground. There have been some clunks and clanks coming from the bottom bracket area, more than likely due to the sprocket swap. I used new sections of 8mm(T8F) pocket bike chain to lengthen the engine drive chain. I MIGHT have reinstalled the 30t bicycle chainring sprocket bass-ackward. I don't remember which way the sprocket's "dish" was facing. Relying on memory, the bicycle chain is now a fraction of an inch inward. This is noticeable in 8th gear. I recall that the bicycle chain used to contact the outer edge of the front derailleur. Now it's maybe 1/8" inward, towards the front derailleur.

The sprockets will be removed & reinstalled today. Hopefully, that should clear all of the issues.:-||

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I replaced the engine's 62t chainring sprocket to 72t. That lowered my total gear ratio from 32.46-24.82-21.96-19.09-16.23-14.32-12.41 and 10.5:1 in eighth gear...
to 37.08-28.37-25.09-21.82-18.55-16.36-14.1 and 12:1 in eighth gear.

The gears are closer in ratio now, with an extra gear between first and second gear. There is still a big gap between first and second, because first gear is the stump-pulling, up-the-ramp gear. Now, instead of using only five gears, I can shift down to sixth gear and still be pulling hard.

This is all theoretical, but I'll find out when I commute to work.

I took it for a test ride yesterday, but couldn't see a marked increase in performance yet. The first few gears might've been a bit snappier. I'm having issues with the drivetrain, due to this sprocket swap. I need to address these problems before doing a series of comprehensive testing.

The bicycle chain jumped off its 30t chainring sprocket, a mile into the test ride. I was doing 30 mph on flat ground. There have been some clunks and clanks coming from the bottom bracket area, more than likely due to the sprocket swap. I used new sections of 8mm(T8F) pocket bike chain to lengthen the engine drive chain. I MIGHT have reinstalled the 30t bicycle chainring sprocket bass-ackward. I don't remember which way the sprocket's "dish" was facing. Relying on memory, the bicycle chain is now a fraction of an inch inward. This is noticeable in 8th gear. I recall that the bicycle chain used to contact the outer edge of the front derailleur. Now it's maybe 1/8" inward, towards the front derailleur.

The sprockets will be removed & reinstalled today. Hopefully, that should clear all of the issues.:-||
Hope that fixes your issue, Man I really wont a shifting bike.....and I'm gonna have one before long, I've got 2 Sturmey Archer 3sp Hubs and one SunTour 3sp hub.......and I'm thinking this bike in the pic below will make a nice shifter set up since I dont think I can mount a sprocket on that wheel since the 3 spd hub is so much larger than the standard coater hub.

Peace

Attachments

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

I put some gas in, and rode about 60 miles round trip. Then rode another 30 miles to a friend's house and back. That's about it. Runs great, no problems :D

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got the motor put back together, she runs! still breaking her in, but it'll happen soon enough.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I put some gas in, and rode about 60 miles round trip. Then rode another 30 miles to a friend's house and back. That's about it. Runs great, no problems :D
They been redoing the roads here around where I live today.......these are dirt roads and the county is putting down some new base material and wetting it down and packing it, since I dont have fenders on my bikes I figured I better wait for the ground to dry a bit before I go out for an evening ride, dont need mud all over me and/or the bike........

but I will go for a ride this evening because I have the itch....even though it is over 100 degrees F. here today and zero breeze you can feel your skin burn out side right now..........very very hot!

Peace

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

WOW! That sounds hot! It was great riding conditions in Maine today. About 75. With the breeze of riding it was just right.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

I spent a good deal of my childhood growing up in Australia and the tropics. So I know all about HOT!!
When it doesn't go below 110 at night, it's wicked painful! Especially when you live without AC or refrigeration.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I spent a good deal of my childhood growing up in Australia and the tropics. So I know all about HOT!!
When it doesn't go below 110 at night, it's wicked painful! Especially when you live without AC or refrigeration.
Yep, my outside thermometer is dead on 116 degrees in the sun and the humidity inside my home is 82% and I have refrigerated central air which actually dries the air out if that tells you anything about what the humidity is outside, that is what hurts us around here, the heat is bad but when we get the humidity along with it it really hurts then.

I know we have many others on here that live in more humid climates than I do so I'm sure they are hurting right now as well............

My oldest son just got out of the Airforce and was stationed out in AZ right outside Phoenix and he said the heat there was bad but because it was a dry heat it didn't seem to hurt as bad as the same heat does when the moister is added, I've never been to Phoenix so I dont know personally but to me when it gets 100+ I dont care if it wet or dru or what is is .............it is just blum freaking HOT.....! to me..... and I want a shade and something cold to drink...or better yet soem AC

dnut

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

Yea, it's soooo much worse when it's really humid. It's like each little air molecule burns.

I have to say, Maine is wonderful. Winters are fun, and summer is a good break. I should take a vid of riding down some back roads here.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Yea, it's soooo much worse when it's really humid. It's like each little air molecule burns.

I have to say, Maine is wonderful. Winters are fun, and summer is a good break. I should take a vid of riding down some back roads here.
The vids would be great.......but would just make me jealous of the beautiful green country side and the pleasant temps when what we have here right now is very hot, not so green conditions things are burning up around here from this heat and lack of rain.......getting pretty bad.

OK now back to that Video...........make that sucker so we can all enjoy it.....

I'm waiting on my new vid cam I ordered last week, not sure yet how I will like it but it is the same as the last one Scotto got, it's that ATC2K model and I won it on ebay for $21 and some change + shipping around $40 total, I'm hoping can make some better quality vids with it instead of the stuff I been doing with my cell phone camera.

YES get us a vid done please...

Peace

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Hope that fixes your issue, Man I really wont a shifting bike.....and I'm gonna have one before long, I've got 2 Sturmey Archer 3sp Hubs and one SunTour 3sp hub.......and I'm thinking this bike in the pic below will make a nice shifter set up since I dont think I can mount a sprocket on that wheel since the 3 spd hub is so much larger than the standard coater hub.

Peace

Peace
I guess the small vendors on this forum don't do custom clam-shell adaptors? Someone here used to offer that service.

Yep, shift kits work well in my situation. I have a LOT of impatient car drivers around me in traffic, especially rush hour. If you're slow, especially from a standing start, they're quick to blow their horns.

To put the cassette's overall gear ratios into perspective,
first gear is like a Happy Time 89-tooth single sprocket;
second gear = 68t sprocket;
third gear = 60t sprocket;
fourth gear = 53t sprocket;
fifth gear = 45t sprocket;
sixth gear =40t sprocket;
seventh gear = 34t sprocket;
eighth gear = 29t sprocket.xct2

So using a 40t HT sprocket is like pedal-assisting in sixth gear on a bike with a shift kit.

Shift kits are easier on the clutch too.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I guess the small vendors on this forum don't do custom clam-shell adaptors? Someone here used to offer that service.

Yep, shift kits work well in my situation. I have a LOT of impatient car drivers around me in traffic, especially rush hour. If you're slow, especially from a standing start, they're quick to blow their horns.

To put the cassette's overall gear ratios into perspective,
first gear is like a Happy Time 89-tooth single sprocket;
second gear = 68t sprocket;
third gear = 60t sprocket;
fourth gear = 53t sprocket;
fifth gear = 45t sprocket;
sixth gear =40t sprocket;
seventh gear = 34t sprocket;
eighth gear = 29t sprocket.xct2

So using a 40t HT sprocket is like pedal-assisting in sixth gear on a bike with a shift kit.

Shift kits are easier on the clutch too.
Sounds great thanks for the info. here, Ididnt know exactly how the gearing played out on one, I have 2 bikes that have 7 gears on the rear wheel instead of eight but I fih=gure if I dont like the 3 spd set up I'll just change over toone of them in its place and put a simple Derailleur on it off one of the other old bike I have sitting around or just get a new one from my Local Bike Shop.

Thanks again for the info.

Peace

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Well, I'm out to go on that ride now and see what they got done to my county road........

back in a jiffy.... :-}

Peace