Why are these so fun?

GoldenMotor.com

PatTheThird

Apr 24, 2011
Southern Maryland
I have a bicycle and a motorcycle. I cant put my finger on what makes my motobike so FUN! Stupid post i know. But i just cant get motorbicycling out of my mind.
Please, does anyone have a hypothesis?dnut

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
It is surely addictive!!! my wife thinks im an idiot for tinkering with a bicycle all the time BUT i just cant stop grinning as I scream through the town at 25 mph. makes me feel 12 years old again!

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I think it is the Peter Pan Effect, It kind of gives us a way to hold onto something we loved as kids... Bikes; and gives us the ability to enjoy them in a way we didn't back then. With the added bonus of giving us a reason to pick up a wrench once in a while.

Who doesn't giggle like a kid on your first ride?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
because it gives you a feeling of accomplishment, you built it!, and they're fast enough+unsafe enough where it gives you a bit of a thrill, but not fast enough+unsafe enough to be very unsafe.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Anyone can buy a motorcycle and ride it, that is not really impressive, but I think it takes a special kind of person to be able to take a kit of random parts and transform it into a smooth running machine that will take them where they want to go and back with no trouble.

I'm not talking about those who slap a kit onto a Craigslist bike and then resell it, I am talking about those who can port and polish and fabricate their own parts, tweak and tune for maximum performance, etc.

For some, it is the attention they get from riding a motorized bicycle, seeing everyone's head swivel around and follow you as you go by.

For others, it is the satisfaction of building something with your own hands, and showing off your work.

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
Freedom...............a machine that can take you almost anywhere for very little money, effort, or the legal restrictions, conformaty, and rules of a motorcycle...............Don

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Im 17 and my mom hates motorcycles... i love them because its my mini motorcycle with out having all those licenses and stuff lol its also a cool head turner too!!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think I can speak for quite a few members here who have been involved with some form of motor sport for most of their lives. Some have flown airplanes, driven boats, cars and motorcycles, none of which are getting any cheaper or less restricted by legislation.

There is a certain attraction to taking a vehicle as innocous as a bicycle and altering it to end up with a means of transportation that is unlike most of what you see out there.

They, motorized bicycles, offer a way to get from point A to point B in a way that is fun, inexpensive and attracts attention in mostly a positive way. Just consider the reaction that most people have to your bike and compare it with what you might get with a motorcycle or the latest thing from Detriot or Tokyo. They are completely unique and conjure up memories of our youth when sticking playing cards in the spokes or making engine sounds with our mouths was the closest we could get to motorized bicycling.

Every now and then I'll steal a clothespin from my wife, take a couple of cards from a deck and clamp them to my fork and pedal down the street. When I reach the bottom of the hill and have to pedal uphill to get back home I just let out the clutch lever and 'Varoom' a real engine starts and I'm doing what I always fantasized I could do when I was eight or nine years old.
What other means of transportation could offer me that?
Tom

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Most of the guys on this board seem to think of their MBs as little motorcycles. I think of mine as a fast bicycle.

I am a life-long bicycle addict. I love bicycling. My MB with its little 32cc motor still feels like a bicycle. I pedal it just like a bike. I get the joy of riding and pedaling a bike with the added fun of zipping around faster than any bicycle should be able to go.

I love the speed! Without a motor I pedal at 15 mph on the flat. With the motor I go twice as fast - 30 to 32 mph. Pedaling up a big long hill, I will have a long hard struggle at 6 - 8 mph. On my MB, I zip up the hill at a fast and easy 25 mph. Hills are hard on my pedal bike On my MB, hills are easy!

I love being the fastest bike on the road. I’m 68 years old now, but I can easily pass any of fast strong young bikers that I find on the road. I can pass them like they’re hardly moving. Makes me feel like superman.

I love the extra distance that I can cover! A 50-mile ride is a long tiring ride on my pedal bike. On my MB, I can ride 100 miles in less time, I won’t be nearly as tired, and I’ll still be ready to ride more.

It’s just fun!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Without even reading any of these responses... Motorized bicycles tap into the child in every one of us who always wanted to put a engine on our bicycle as a kid!! (^)

I have a bad a$$ full custom Harley Davidson in my garage, & I love riding these little bikes as much as I can! :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like them because they are light weight and nimble. My scooter weighs 650 lbs. It's good for for going down the freeway.

The motorbikes weigh what 65 lbs? 10%.

Good for going around the neighboorhood. I'm going to get some baskets too. That will be good for going to the grocery / hardware stores.

Yeah, these things are a kick and there's really nothing quite like riding a motorbike.