My motor

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Seeing as Ive spent way to much time on this motor and it's causing more stress and hassall then it's worth at the moment I've given up. I tried to get the other one going but nobody is willing to offer any suggestions on how to finish the last and final step to get it going. I might just put it to the side of the road of as well. It's of no use to me if I don't know what I'm doing and I can't get help for it. These bikes come with the cheapest pos bolts I've ever seen. The final straw for me was when I was trying to get the motor mounted on a different frame and the bolts was bent outwards. I take the bolt out and try a M6..Doesn't fit. I would be like a M7 which to my knowledge doesn't exist..So I can't get the bolts for it then I can't get it on the bike. The only other way would be to weld the damn thing to the frame.:-||

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Man, I thought we got everything squared away last night :confused:

Have you tried a helicoil kit? They do make M7, it's just hard to find.

Ask your girlfriend maybe she knows rotfl

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just realized this was posted after http://motorbicycling.com/f3/installing-new-magnet-1534.html.

No need to get upset, we are all here to help out as much as possible. Sorry for not helping faster Mopedamater79 :( With so many new members, a thread will slip by every now and then, just keep grabing everyone's attention and someone should help out.

Cruiser or Alex started a new thread Motorized bicycle Trouble shooting, you should get a faster response there Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum

:ride2:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Hey all, its Mopedamater79's gf posting.

Mopedamater79 was so pissed off trying to get that stupid motor mounted he was ready to take it somewhere and pay someone to do i for him, so i advised him before doing that perhaps he should allow me to take my Saturday, to attempt mounting it for him (that way all it wouldn't cost him anything...well not any money that is). So i'm happy to report that after grinding the frame a little (well...a lot more then expected) and after snapping a bolt (in the motor no less) that stupid thing isn't going anywhere (even with the 1 less bolt we have now) However here is the problem now, the exhaust pipe is in the way of the peddle, the only thing i can see doing for it (that isn't going to cost us unneeded stress) is to take the bike to the garage up the street from us an ask them to bend the muffler slightly to prevent the peddle from smashing into it, which I believe to be a much better idea then what his friend did to other muffler..which involved a hammer.

Also I thought asking him to weld the one side of the bracket (the side i broke a bolt on) to the frame to prevent it from clanking around would be a good idea, that or asking him if there is anyway to get the bolt out (it snapped off clean right at point of entry so there is no way we can get it out ourselves at least not with the limited tools we have at the house).

Anyways, the reason why I'm making the post is to see if anyone has any better suggestions then what i already posted, if not I'm just going to go ahead and take it into the shop, but the way I see it, the darn thing is mounted and the problems we are facing are minor and will be easily repaired.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
My muffler also hit, so what I did was take the muffler off, screw it to the workbench, and heat the bend up with a propane torch, got it red hot and bent it out slighty. As far as welding the motor to the frame, I would not suggest that, cant you get the broken stud out of the motor? If it is flush and you cant get hold of it I maybe you could cut a slot in it, heat it up a little, and unscrew it with a screwdriver...

You need to tell your bf sometimes you just have to walk away for a while, we all get to the point he is Im sure. Just take a break, relax and come back to it later with a fresh outlook.

Good luck and keep us informed as to the progress....

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thier is also wider crank set's that you can use, but the muffler thing is quicker and cheaper....Thier are many way's to fix the broken bolt, you could drill it completely out and use a helicoil kit or maybe a screw extractor...but you say you have limited tools :confused:

Tell moped we want him back....

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I broke both rear engine mount studs when the back half of the clamp fell off mid-ride. I drilled out the M6 studs which broke flush with engine case, and tapped it a hair bigger with FAR more common 1/4x20 all-thread (4 different hardware stores did not sell any metric all-thread) then fashioned a new rear half of the clamp (nut side).

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
My muffler also hit, so what I did was take the muffler off, screw it to the workbench, and heat the bend up with a propane torch, got it red hot and bent it out slighty. As far as welding the motor to the frame, I would not suggest that, cant you get the broken stud out of the motor? If it is flush and you cant get hold of it I maybe you could cut a slot in it, heat it up a little, and unscrew it with a screwdriver...

You need to tell your bf sometimes you just have to walk away for a while, we all get to the point he is Im sure. Just take a break, relax and come back to it later with a fresh outlook.

Good luck and keep us informed as to the progress....
I must be better at this then I thought, I fixed the muffler problem, here is what I did in case it happens to anyone in the future, and while this might sound silly and like it doesnt make a difference, it really really did.

1st, for the love of God, remove the gas tank, pardon the redundancy but some people might be dumb enough to take my advice before doing so, so I thought I'd mention it.

2nd flip the bike upside down and take the muffler right off.

3rd put the muffler back on, start with the bolt that is furthest away from the peddle that is hitting the muffler put it on so it is almost tight enough, but not quite, then go to the other side and tighten the bolt all the way, then return to the other bolt and tighten it the rest of the way. The whole time you are doing this place pressure on the muffler, pushing away from the peddle that is giving you trouble. I found it helpful to have the peddle positioned so that it was lined up with the muffler, that way I could keep an eye on how close the peddle actually was from the muffler so that I wouldn't turn the peddle only to find that my attempt was in vain.

(this only deepens my belief that working on bikes upside down, is the better way of doing things lol)

That worked for me, the peddle now makes a complete turn without hitting the muffler, it is a tight fit, I'm not sure if that is how it is meant to be or if I just got lucky.... but it fits and seems to be good enough I guess I'll know when Mopedamater79 wakes up.

And as far as the advice of walking away when he has had enough, I have said what you said to him word for word and he doesn't listen however he has said that he thinks he will start taking that advice, so here's to hoping I guess. Lol in any case I enjoy this kinda thing and seem to be good at it, so atleast he has someone helping him right? hehe

-Mopedamater79's gf :p

Ps: as much as I would have had fun heating the little son of a gun up and bending it, we're not blessed enough to have the tools to do it, so I was kinda bum outta luck there, oh well...

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Thier is also wider crank set's that you can use, but the muffler thing is quicker and cheaper....Thier are many way's to fix the broken bolt, you could drill it completely out and use a helicoil kit or maybe a screw extractor...but you say you have limited tools :confused:

Tell moped we want him back....

I'll tell him, but as it stands now, he is so mad at the bike he doesnt even want to look at the thing, he even went through the extreme of covering it with a blanket (I had moved it into our bedroom so I could work on it and watch tv at the same time). However with the work I've accomplished as of late, he seems to be open to the idea of working on it. I will let him know that and thank you for the advice.

-Mopedamater79's gf :p

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Progress so far:

Muffler is no longer being hit by the peddle, no bending was required, so yay me.

as for the broken bolt, I thought about using neddle nose pliers (before reading the other guys post, I swear to God) sadly there was not enough give on the outside of the motor) So, I'm just going to take it into the garage down the road and see if they can get it out, it should be an easy enough Job for then and should not cost us to much, Thank you all for your advice on this one, however we just don't have the tools to do it and I think paying someone to get it out would be cheaper then buying the tools to do it ourselves, besides maybe I'll be able to flirt then into doing it for free...can anyone say low cut shirt? haha I'm kidding.

Anyways thanks again for all your input, I'll keep you posted.

-Mopedamater79's gf