Hi From Southern Indiana first build

GoldenMotor.com

scott83

Oct 23, 2009
Indiana
Hello did my first build on the cheap 115$ for the engine kit and 95$ for a new bike....1000$ worth of fun so far......Ordered the hub adapter from Manic Mechanic earlier in the week ..... How are his hub adapters?

Attachments

Last edited:

scott83

Oct 23, 2009
Indiana
Thanks, been looking at youre jack shaft kits..just ordered engine kit #2 ... read about cutting down the piston skirt to allow a full intake cycle.. that makes alot of sense... how about balancing.. I have access to a lathe and milling machine... Is it worth the trouble to balance these?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I think balancing would make a difference. It is my understanding that the outer rings on the cranks can be machined true and that helps a lot without actually getting into balancing them proper. I haven't tried any balancing but a friend of mine is an engine builder and will be receiving an engine from me soon and I will have more information when he tears it down. Done some porting and trimming the piston skirt and it seems to help.

scott83

Oct 23, 2009
Indiana
Thanks for the info. My uncle builds late model racing engines...think ive got him interested in these.. I was reading about the reed valve mod think im gonna do that and trim the piston skirt when the new kit comes in.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Heh - a late welcome to ya, that's a dang nice build you have!

I have that same rear rack and tbh - I'm really not it's biggest fan although it looks cool (no offense). I've just never been happy with it's side movement no matter how tight you had it. Of course if people would stop grabbing it to move my bike (myself included lol)... I did drill it and add vertical supports from another rack, obv it doesnt need the added strength - but it did make it rock solid and stopped all movement.

Have you considered the "hide-away" rear fuel tank & rack? It's on my "to do" list lol

ThatsDax has 'em if yer interested.

scott83

Oct 23, 2009
Indiana
Thanks...and I agree its a cheesy setup on the rack...Im getting for build #2 and I think I'll check out the tank rack, Thanks

fuzzball

Sep 5, 2009
Eagle River, Wisc.
You'll like Jim's adapter. I got one and a 48 tooth sprocket. It took 3 weeks but was well worth the wait. With a coaster brake, most times the drop out slots are long enough so you can pitch the chain tensioner. They run lots quiter without it. Looks like you did a nice job. Enjoy!