GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW!

Crazy Horse here, what is the latest information with regards to U.S. Gov't EPA, Banning the 2-Stroke China-Gurl motors here in the U.S. starting in 2010!

I've heard from many builders here in our forum and elsewhere that this 2-stroke ban is a done deal, so those who now own a 2-stroke from China will have an illegal motor on their bicycles?

What is true what is false who has more information regarding this new U.S. Federal Gov't EPA law regulating imports and sales of these chinese made 2-strokes, please share this information with everyone as many people will have to go with a 4-stroke motor to be legal.

Share you opinions and information with your fellow forum members, save us all the headaches & worries, about this very touchy subject is it fact or fiction. I'd like to see something in writing about this subject from EPA but haven't found any information on their gov't website.

Again is this fact or fiction the 2010 U.S. Gov't EPA Ban for 2-stroke chinese imported motors?

Peace Crazy Horse.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
What is true what is false who has more information regarding this new U.S. Federal Gov't EPA law regulating imports and sales of these chinese made 2-strokes, please share this information with everyone as many people will have to go with a 4-stroke motor to be legal.

I'm with you Crazy Horse. People SAY this stuff and I HEAR it. But can someone post the law? The changes?

I have heard that all China (2 stroke) factories will need to post a $1,000,000 bond to build US compliant engines, etc....please someone post the truth.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Thank you Pablo & stv1jzgte,

Crazy Horse say's this is not a joking matter many builders and suppliers will be affected by this new law that is being heard through out the motorized bicycling community.

So if you fellow motorbicycling .com forum members have any facts with Links to U.S. Gov't Agency(s)
ie EPA environmental protection agency sponsored regulations / laws effective for 2010, banning the 2-Stroke that we members can Look up for ourselves this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Crazy Horse.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
I hope Dax Duane will join in here as we were discussing this today in the chat box. He did say that there is no decision to do anything at this time but I hope he can share it here for you . One Question Crazy Horse why do you refer to yourself in the 3rd person? LOL
As far as being compliant if you were a manufacturer would you post a 1/2-1 million dollar bond with the kind of manufacturing those motors are known for? And leave the money in the hands of a foreign gov'ts epa?

Gene

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I dont have any factual comments relating to your laws but i would laugh my ass off if they come up with a power or wattage limit like us (dam scientists) 200watts.
Ive spoken to a guy down the road who has one and he got pinged unlicenced, unregested as they are classed as an unregisterable vehical, no insurance, not paying road tax $1500bucks ouch
So you'd think that you couldnt get parts or buy em if there ilegal? nah, there are businesses open here were these bikes are on display for sale. unless you have a farm or a long driveway 99% of the bikes are ilegal to ride yet a still see heaps of us every day!
stv

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
OK, Lets look at CA and the ban on selling two stroke leaf blowers and string trimmers. Can a dealer just not sell them, or is an owner banned from using one he already owns. Actually our lawn people have gone to a 4 stroke vacuum to comply with something?

Cars are banned from the streets if they cannot pass the emissions in effect for them when they were built, not the current standard.

Some of the old SAABs were 2 cycle. Have they been banned or passed if they met their original emissions.

My Yamaha 175 is a two stroke from the early 70s. It passed every year when I was still licensing it. It is of course a oil pumper, not a pre-mix.

In many cases new laws stop future happenings, not outlaw existing models. I am not a lawyer, but ex postfacto still runs through my head from high school history class. You can't pass a law to outlaw actions that were legal when you did them? May not apply to 2 strokes?

Jim

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think it's the same old hype being passed around by a certain importer.

Does any one remember the last "ban"? Yeah, the one that never happened?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I say quit fretting; ride your bike, enjoy it and if your livelyhood doesn't depend on the sale of 2 stroke motorized bicycle motors, stop worrying. There's so many other things to be concerned about. The future of bike motors is a small thing.
When you get to be my age you'll agree.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree with Joe. Every few years this comes back up. Last time I did a really exhaustive web search and the only thing I could find proposed related to California emissions for small engines. I think that is what fueled the rumors in the beginning but dunno for sure. Few sited any thing other then "Hear Say" aside from Cali.

If you Google it, most of the "ban" due dates are long past 2 stroke ban - Google Search

Dunno and hope it is in fact just a persistent and unfounded rumor. In the age of instant information, we would be able to find something, me thinks if it were well founded or even remotely true.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I believe there is a certain seller of these that started this rumor. Like last time...."The U.S. is banning all bike motors except my special motors".

Screws

Aug 10, 2009
Baltimore, MD (Hampden)
Just move to Baltimore. The fuzz are so busy busting **** birds and solving murders, that you can pretty much ride-drive-do whatever you want- just don't ****bird around or kill.

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
if you think about and wear it started the gov. started using 2-stroke engines along time ago! we all have heard of this! I SSAY INJOY LIFE. DONT WEARY FEAR NOT We as people need to live are lifes and ride and keep on riding as longest we can! and if you cant! i sorry but keep on trying!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yeah, yeah, yeah.....
And I heard O-bummer is funding a program to develop an oxygen tax based on your lung capacity.
Some people just gotta shake the tree and see which nuts fall out and spread rumors.
Don't live life paranoid.
Just ride.usflg

Status
Not open for further replies.