Commuter in AR

GoldenMotor.com

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
Hey guys, I've been reading the forums for awhile- since 2011, actually- and have learned a lot. I've just now placed an order for a 49cc engine kit on ebay.

I'll be mounting my engine on a 18 speed mountain bike and using it for daily commuting.
I currently ride about 4 miles per day and have decided it's time to get some help with the hills!

I also ordered a rt carb and ngk sparker to start this build of right.

I look forward to sharing my build with you all and learning more as i go!brnot

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. The engine kit will make the 4 mile commute a snap. I have commuted as much as a 50 mile round trip with my 49cc two stroke. Some members have commuted much further than I.

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I know that there are several things that I want to do before I put it on the frame including check to make sure that there isnt and wobble in the drive gear and also cleaning up the ports.

I've done some reading on carb jetting, but I'm still not 100 percent on it. Does anyone have any specific threads they would recomend?

Also, the bike that I'm mounting the engine on is a Huffy Terra Nova and I haven't been able to find any builds using this model. I'd like to see what to expect, but I almost wonder if no one else has motorized this model.

I haven't been able figure out how people mount their engines on mountain bikes without removing the front derailleur . Any clues?

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've never heard of anybody ever having to remove the front derailleur? I searched for a build of the Terra Nova but could not find one.

From what I found it's just a v-frame (correct me if I am wrong) which is what these engines have been designed to mount to? You are speaking of a 49cc 2-stroke engine kit correct? You might just have to raise the motor a bit to clear the derailleur.

Jetting? If it was me I would not worry about it until you get the motor all mounted up and running . You may not have to do any jetting.

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
You are right, it is a v frame. The thing is that the derailleur is about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom, right in the spot im assuming is the best place for the rear motor mount. From what I've read most people suggest placing the engine as low in the frame as possible, but alas i will just have to wait for the kit to arive to try it out. I just got a message from my eBay seller telling me that the kit i ordered ( black slant head 49cc)is out of stock at the moment and that they were not sure when the would have more in. They have had the money for several days now so its got me worried. I've asked them to either upgrade me to the 66cc kit in black or upgrade my shipping from standard to expedited on the chrome 49cc kit. If they wont do either then im going to ask for a refund and just get a 66cc lot in black from another seller. Do you think im being unreasonable?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yes, you do want to mount the motor as low as possible. But if you want to shift your bike that does not mean remove your front derailleur. I think once you get your kit you'll realize its not even a issue.

I never buy motors off Ebay so I cannot say you are being unreasonable. But I would avoid the chrome engines they are notorious for seizing up. They just don't dissipate the heat like they should and run too hot.

When I worked for a local motorized bicycle shop, every single one of our chrome motors seized up. The shop lost a lot of money on those motors.