Road Master HF 212

GoldenMotor.com

Mattiboy

Oct 4, 2014
Disco bay
Hello all,
We'll this is my first post so I thought if start off with a bang. Long time lurker and ideas gatherer. This is my second motorized bicycle build so I wanted to go big. I'm a mechanic/fabricator by trade so tackling something like this wasn't such a big deal as I have restored and built many motorcycles over the years. Anyhow I had a lot if fun building this little beast and though it's not 100% there, it's pretty close to where I thought I could share it with you all.

Quick stats...engine
HF 212cc
18lbs valve springs
Governor removed
Billet flywheel
Handmade stainless exhaust with heat shield
Handmade stainless intake
24mm Mikuni carb
Tourque converter with 10 tooth drive for 415 chain
Otherwise it's internally stock as I really think this thing has plenty of power for a bicycle, but we'll see lol!

Chassis...
Circa 1949 Schwinn Road Master Luxury Liner replica from Chicago
Welded in motor mount system with adjusters for chain tension
Springer front end
204mm fully floating front disc with billet center
Twin piston hydraulic brake
Wheels are 26 alloy with 12gauge spokes with billet sprocket clamp out back with 44 tooth alloy sprocket

Fuel tank...
Hand made out of 1/8 wall aluminum (probably close to 60+ hours into that one) but it's the center piece of the build like most custom bikes so I wanted it perfect) painted, sealed internally and clear coated. Now just awaiting a couple of decals to finish her off.

I kinda wanted to do something a little different than what I've seen on here so I made most of the parts myself. We'll say its kind of a board track bobber, if you will. Starting with the motor mount. I wanted something that looked like it "came that way" so I made my own mounting plate and supports and tig'd them all in. It's very solid and also reinforces the frame. Next up was the stainless exhaust and intake manifolds. The exhaust is a stepped header with a baffle out of an Arrow carbon exhaust can that I had lying around, sound really cool. The intake, which I worked and tapered out of stainless and of course, a large k&n style filter. Instead of having the exhaust and intake either facing forward or back, I wanted a nice swept look so it appears to be moving even while sitting still. I also wanted them to follow the rear frame line a bit. I think it turned out well.

Still have some things to sort bit they're just small details. It runs well, though vibrates more than I though, and really hauls the mail. Things I'll be working on to finish her off will be to get rid off that bulky pull start and cover. I plan to machine a small groove in the flywheel so I can wrap a pull cord and old school start it then stuff the cord I my pocket. Also, machine some brake line clamps to secure them to the fork girder. A chain guide for the power chain, a new period style seat, and probably some sort of headlight and brake light since my master cylinder came with a switch. Anyhow I think it turned out well and gets the craziest of looks and compliments from "how old is that" to "where can I get one" and the usual how fast can it go etc. ect.

I'll post more pics in a bit, enjoy!

Matt.wee.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Really nice looking bike!!
I'm liking the tank and the way you made the engine cradle mount at the bottom to stiffen up the frame.
Looks like the whole thing is very well built tho... Very Well Done

Mattiboy

Oct 4, 2014
Disco bay
Thanks guys! It took about 4 months to build with a lot of early mornings at the shop and after hours as we'll. it really helps when you can do all or most of the work yourself. That's where the real fun is for me. I've got tons of motorcycles to ride anytime from street to off road but there's nothing like building something and getting on it for the first time and everything working how it's supposed to

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Very nice bike Matti! I love the totally vintage look as though it were just rolled off the Salt Flats. Excellent use of the motormount to enhance the vintage look while still being strong like ox!
I bet it scoots with that bigblock too!

Mattiboy

Oct 4, 2014
Disco bay
LOVE The tank and the way you built it,see a couple screws on top how did you mount the bottom,same way? were did you get the filler neck and cap?AWESOME........Curt
Thanks Curt!
As you can see I welded the two out shoots to the front and back of the tank than drilled lightening wholes in them. I used 1/2 aluminum plate than formed them to fit into the open slots in the frame, to take up the space left over from the tank not reaching all the way to either end. The tank simply rests on the bottom tube and is hung with small rubber isolaters through the mount plates I des rider above. It's solid, yet floats from the top frame tube slightly. I got the filler neck of eBay for $10. It's a little large I'll admit but it's a breathable unit and the cap is spun stainless so it matched quite well. Cheers

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That's a beautiful bike, very nicely done (^) the only non-plus I see is by not using a jackshaft, the engine sits 2" off center and sticks out quite a bit on the right side of the bike.

I'm sure the bike flies as I'm familiar with that engine and tranny set up ;) Kinda hard to keep the front wheel on the ground on take offs :D

.wee.

How far is it to Disco Bay?

Mattiboy

Oct 4, 2014
Disco bay
That's a beautiful bike, very nicely done (^) the only non-plus I see is by not using a jackshaft, the engine sits 2" off center and sticks out quite a bit on the right side of the bike.

I'm sure the bike flies as I'm familiar with that engine and tranny set up ;) Kinda hard to keep the front wheel on the ground on take offs :D

.wee.

How far is it to Disco Bay?
Thanks Scott. I've used your builds as inspiration and certainly information while building mine. Believe it or not, when you look at the overall side dimention it's pretty centered when you consider the width of the Torque converter and flywheel. Now this is not taking into account the current stock pull start so when I get my flywheel done it will be pretty close. One of the things I knda like about it being offset is the fact that everything is accessable. Checking/changing plugs is free and clear as is removing the valve cover without moving anything around or. I guess there are lots of ways to mount the engine. I originally wanted to mount it upright but it just seemed too tight and out of place. BTW, what jetting are you running at sea level, you have a 22mm carb correct? I have a 24 Mikuni

Disco bay is Discovery Bay. It's about and hour east of the Bay Area