full suspension chopper custom frame

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have wondered why now one makes a full suspension cruiser frame, i know if any one does i will be in line to get one. suspension seat posts and big tires is only way i know of to smooth out the rear part of my motorized bicycle

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hey guys I have the frame plans done, might tweak slightly before I put them on offer will put picture of main frame up tomorrow some stage.

edit: I just uploaded the frame plan at a angle so that u can see my planned area for shock mounting

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hey guys not much done on frame design or build. but was hopping for some input on how much to charge for drawings if i was to sell them online. i would include 2 versions of drawings one dxf/solidworks file set and exported jpeg files for each part from at least 2 or 3 sides where appropiate, not sure about pricing though, any ideas, will discount for members say 10 - 15 quid for members.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
here is the final version with all parts. this is the one I will base plans off. why is this thread get relatively no attention considering the first initial reaction. I recently priced steel for the frame here and it would come to around 40 euro using 20mm mild steel tubing.tell me what you think and if interested how much you are willing to pay for plans.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
here is the final version with all parts. this is the one I will base plans off. why is this thread get relatively no attention considering the first initial reaction. I recently priced steel for the frame here and it would come to around 40 euro using 20mm mild steel tubing.tell me what you think and if interested how much you are willing to pay for plans.
Hey, looks great to me! I think if you have several pictures of the completed project, you'll get more interest. This forum is full of ideas that don't see the light-of-day - myself included. Also, it's a little slow around the forum lately. I am sure it has to do with people going back to work and other priorities in Life. Don't be discouraged by the lack of comments. Just continue what you've been doing.

Keep it up,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
have you got a picture of the completed motorized bicycle. looks like you may have a winner from what I can see

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
No offense but the headtube angle of this frame appears to be very steep; also it looks like there are many small details not worked out? If you're going to sell plans you need to make sure the design is proven.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
hey guys finally all drawings and planning done
to start this project. here is full frame
Ok, how do the rear stays get made? What about the dropouts, are they custom? Have you specified a bearing for the pivot? How do you intend on the main frame tubing to be bent, is there a jig required? What kind of fork is required? Have you calculated the offset and trail?

These are opening questions that hopefully will lead you to a more mature design. Perhaps you have all this sorted already; if so, please provide answers. Don't be offended; consider this a preliminary design review.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
Ok, how do the rear stays get made? What about the dropouts, are they custom? Have you specified a bearing for the pivot? How do you intend on the main frame tubing to be bent, is there a jig required? What kind of fork is required? Have you calculated the offset and trail?

These are opening questions that hopefully will lead you to a more mature design. Perhaps you have all this sorted already; if so, please provide answers. Don't be offended; consider this a preliminary design review.
yes I have considered all you have thought about. the pivot is a nut bolt combination device that I designed I don't want to share drawings right now as I have the plans on sale in swapshop so forgive if I keep a few bits secret. as for dropouts at rear of bike they are thicker admittingly in the views but only because of limitations of my cad skills. they are just plate steel shaped and drilled/grooved to enable removal of wheel. the bend piping I will personally be doing with a pipe roller similar to in picture below, although if someone thought of different way go right ahead but I personally will not guarantee results to be the same. any fork will fit just adjust dimensions to suit what you got, just drew that size, you can change rake if you want but I like the way it is. if you want plans look in swapshop for my thread.

Attachments

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
yes I have considered all you have thought about. the pivot is a nut bolt combination device that I designed I don't want to share drawings right now as I have the plans on sale in swapshop so forgive if I keep a few bits secret. as for dropouts at rear of bike they are thicker admittingly in the views but only because of limitations of my cad skills. they are just plate steel shaped and drilled/grooved to enable removal of wheel. the bend piping I will personally be doing with a pipe roller similar to in picture below, although if someone thought of different way go right ahead but I personally will not guarantee results to be the same. any fork will fit just adjust dimensions to suit what you got, just drew that size, you can change rake if you want but I like the way it is. if you want plans look in swapshop for my thread.
I'm not looking for plans, I was looking for some sort of evidence that your plan will actually be able to be built. You have to be able to supply a parts list, with suggested sources of supply, etc. Not just a CAD file. Perhaps a picture of your built bicycle and some text that describes the handling, weight, etc.

If you want to see bicycle plans that actually sell, visit atomiczombie.com and look thru their offerings. Notice that every design actually shows the built bicycle.

You should build and test your design before offering it for sale; that's all I'm really trying to say. After going thru your first build you will probably find things that need to be changed and can do so before passing it on to your paying customers.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
atombikes my plans will contain all basic information but they are going to be open source seeing as I am using them to build my own one when I get the space and money to do it. I am not trying to become a fully fledged vendor or anything just offering something I am using for my project up as plans for any that may be interested. I expect that people may modify the plans in some way to suit there own styling and such. I don't see why you get the impression I am becoming a proper vendor or some semblance of one just a dude being helpful.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I am considering modifying a existing bike frame to have rear shocks. Swapping a fork for front shocks was fairly easy, I just had to shorten the head tube to get enough threads when there were slight differences in the frames.

The rear shocks need a swing arm. I saw an existing bike that I think looks like the way I may modify my bike frame to be like. I want to limit the amount of work involved.

Building your own frame like your doing is something I would do at a later time as it must be quite rewarding to do.

I'll check back here as DIY stuff is my interest.

MT