How many miles before clutch pads needs replacing

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Greetings,

Finally got my second bike up and running. Could never get the first one started. Had to replace the core engine. Must have been the spark coil or magneto.

Anyway, with normal use, how many miles before the clutch pads needs replacing?

Thanks and have a great day.

brnot

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a lot of variation on that due mostly to how the rider uses the clutch

usually last about a year with careful riding, but I've seen them wear out in a few months (usually less than $10 for new pads tho)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
a lot of variation on that due mostly to how the rider uses the clutch

usually last about a year with careful riding, but I've seen them wear out in a few months (usually less than $10 for new pads tho)
Ditto:
I have three bikes with well over a thousand miles on the original clutch friction pads. Riding style will have a lot to do with the longevity of the pads. If you like to try motorcycle starts from a dead stop and 'slip' the clutch a lot, naturally that will shorten their life span but pedaling up to speed, about 10mph before engaging the clutch will make them last much longer.
I'm sure that pad quality plays into it too. I've been fortunate and had good luck with my engines but as Crassius said, there have been reports of premature pad wear from some members.

Tom

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
As others have said it's random. I have 2000-3000 miles on a stock orange set. They have outlasted the engine. Adjust the clutch properly, get up to 10mph before engaging it and the pads should last a long time. Almost forgot, I lapped my friction plate to a nice shine with 600 grit sandpaper. That probably helped a bit.

And don't forget to clean the pads and plate now and then. Rubbing alcohol works great for them.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I think it has a lot to do with how you use the clutch.
I have never had a single clutch issue in my chinagirl career, but I have seen some customer bikes with worn out pads. It's almost always the new riders or the hot rods who have clutch problems.
The older guys with lots of miles just don't wear them out. I've seen over 10k on one HT clutch with a 230lb rider, a tuned pipe, and a 36tooth sprocket with no pad wear problems.
Just my opinion