what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

5-7, does your post mean the Shift Kit front freewheel jammed? Did it force the pedals around? I like that system but I have been afraid of FFS failure. I hear the parts are finicky and require frequent disassembly and repacking.
I'm ALMOST positive the freewheel jammed, but only for a few seconds. If it were the rear wheel, I would've lost control of the bike. It jammed while accelerating, there was a shudder and a quiet "pow!". The pedals locked up for a few seconds, then the engine idled, releasing the clutch. I was expecting mayhem when I pulled over. However, all was fine. The bike acted like nothing ever happened, and I continued on home. In fact, top speed climbing a moderate hill was 32mph. I commuted to work today without incident. I DID squirt SBP oil to the freewheel.

Yeah, SBP recommends clean and lube after 250 miles, and it's about that time. I have a spare SBP standard freewheel on hand. I'll run that while I disassemble and check for damages.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Pulled the motor out of my second ride to try and fit this beast in. Turns out ill need a bigger frame..the misses is going to be spewin when she see's 3 bikes in the garage.lol:eek:
Gotta love those 2 strokers

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Yeah, the Chinee motor can be shoehorned into many different frames, not so many with a Morini. I'll be back to hanging my Morini here soon. I just can't handle cold anymore for any length of time so I've been waiting for the weather to warm up somewhat.

Looking locally for someone with a plasma cutter or I'll rent a torch. I'm cutting the motor mounts from 1/16th inch steel plate and I think it would go better one of those ways over cutting it with my little Harbor Freight bandsaw.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Pulled the motor out of my second ride to try and fit this beast in. Turns out ill need a bigger frame..the misses is going to be spewin when she see's 3 bikes in the garage.lol:eek:
================================

There is the silver tube after the first muffler if I got it right, and that is what?

I was not thinking there is a resonator to make sound out the exhaust easier on the ears than just a muffler..... heared of expansion chaimbers or expansion chaimber type mufflers but am not sure about the silvery tube at the end you have there?

MT

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

================================

There is the silver tube after the first muffler if I got it right, and that is what?

I was not thinking there is a resonator to make sound out the exhaust easier on the ears than just a muffler..... heared of expansion chaimbers or expansion chaimber type mufflers but am not sure about the silvery tube at the end you have there?

MT

Well spotted mate. It appears there is some (possibly) platinum in there for a cat set up or something of the like..doesnt look like it will flow all that well but it came with the kit. At 1st I'll wack that on there and get a feel for things then swap out the muffler and start playing with the carb if needed.

This is no morini, possibly just another chinese copy..
I picked it up from my vendor, as he had it lying around his shop. Looks i'll be building bikes for him to pay it off..(^)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Your Bike's Rockin' Hard Skarrd!

Nice info about cranks Happy, thnx!

That's gonna be a beast Breno, oh noes you get(have) to build for parts? The horror! :D

So after my little "incident" last weekend, I felt better enough for a ride today... Driver's side(lol) crank was bent in nicking the muffler. No prob, pipe wrench and a 1" wrench for leverage fixed that. Get'r fired up down the street, ...hmm, exhaust sounds a little loud, pull back home... The friggin exhaust flange was bent! The pipe itself is fine, so it'll be fixable(hammer, lapping with 80grit). So on went a spare pipe and all was well for the ride.

Yea, the flange itself bent, never seen that. Thank you SBP hardware kits hardened studs! :p Could've been worse, broken exhaust stud(bleh), or the hardened stud could've ripped off a good chunk of my jug, lols.

Long story short, upgrade your studs(as if you didn't know already :))

Have a good one.

Attachments

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Oh, that makes sense. Smart thinking! They look big enough you can probably get your tubes, small tool kit, mini pump, and a couple 1L bottles of fuel in there. If you put your U lock on the seatpost (mine mounts to seatpost, U lock hangs down from there), you will have alittle more room, and a handy weapon against evil dogs.

How long are the cranks? 175? That is the standard. 180 are rare except for BMX and 29er singlespeed, 170 is common on road and cheap mtn bikes. 165 is common for Junior riders, women, and people who really like pedaling fast and shifting a lot. I prefer 180 on anything.
i'm thinking they are around 190 or something, i'll need to measure them sometime and see.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

It should be stamped on the back of the cranks, likely near where the pedal threads in.

Measure from the center of the axle hole, to the center of the Bottom bracket axle hole (center of the nut/bolt). It is easiest with flat cranks, but you can also take the pedal off and use a ruler. 190 would be really unusual! I would like to know if they were though, some people such as triathlon cyclists or hill climb racers might like that information.

175 mm = 6.88976 "
180 mm = 7.08661 "
190 mm = 7.48031 "

It seems like a small difference, but when you pedal you will definitely know it, because your muscles will move a few degrees more at the joints, and your hips will have to rotate/flex more. 1/2" difference means your feet will be 1" more apart, and the circle you have to pedal will be much longer around.

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Well here is a pic of the bike to be.. Looks as though there will be plenty of space for an easy install though im still on the drwing boards for a good bracket setup.

I'll b picking it up tonight and gutting it of all the gearing, fitting the hd rear wheel, replacing the tyes, greasing all bearings, checking hardcore for any cracks, and finally putting it in my boot to take to work on sunday to make the brackets up for the motor.
Later on I can look at some good front forks with disc brakes and what not but this should atleast get me on the road.
So very exciting haha:crash:

Attachments

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

Installed a new kill switch, still have to test it out though. It's an old Norton/Triumph style kill switch.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

ordered some stuff for the CAG motor i bought a while back, going to try again to switch from the china girl to a pocket bike motor.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I removed the broken windscreen and will prolly order another one. However, I'll need to fab more effective braces to support the mounts.

The windscreen makes a LOT of difference while coasting. I kill my engine about 75 yards before reaching the bike rack. Without the screen, I have to pedal about 15 yards to get there. That tells me that the windshield is effective.

My rear wheel needs another 14g spoke replaced. They always break @ the tip, at the hub. It's time to buy a replacement HD double-walled aluminum wheel from the LBS. Then I can rebuild the existing one w/12g spokes and new bearings.

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

Took bike out for a ride down to the bike shop to get rear lights -then came home and drilled holes-mounted lights-bike ran super supreme-just loves that Shell Advance straight 2cycle oil-TC-W3 guaranteed for* Bombardier,Artic Cat,Yamaha and Polaris.
My Bridge Stone Titan just loves that oil-this is the fourth winter athat I've run this motor through.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Took bike out for a ride down to the bike shop to get rear lights -then came home and drilled holes-mounted lights-bike ran super supreme-just loves that Shell Advance straight 2cycle oil-TC-W3 guaranteed for* Bombardier,Artic Cat,Yamaha and Polaris.
My Bridge Stone Titan just loves that oil-this is the fourth winter athat I've run this motor through.
Your running 2 stroke oil in a four stroke?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

The name "Titan" is on a bunch of engines, two and four stroke, mostly from Thatsdax .

I put some big cheap Wellgo BMX pedals on my hybrid bike, instead of the little bitty factory cheapos. These work nicely until they get wet. I like the metal spikey ones better, but this will do.
http://joyride-cycles.com/Images/ProductImages/BTI/WE9735-lg.jpg
$6.50 http://joyride-cycles.com/shop-by-b...ain-pedals/wellgo-205-resin-pedals-9-16-black

I rode my friction drive bike 15mi today, 5 pedaling only (2 of that with the spindle down for some work-out time!) I brought it with me while I went to town to shop for some baby supplies, got in a little ride while I was parked there.

I found the old NT carb for HR Pufinstuff.

I found my extra Greenfield kickstand and some stuff for my Grubee bike, getting it ready for the 45mi Dallas Ride and Pizza.