Ernst from Turllock Ca

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Update: With the motor issues in the process of being solved I received my ebay orders from overseas.
One was a simple round led flash light holder and the other was the Maxxon bicycle brake light.

The low bid for the LEZ flash light holder was offset by shipping but it will be useful. The Maxxon on the other hand is worthless as a brake light.

The Maxxon brake light is a fancy motion detector which will light up simply by picking the unit up or going over a bump as you ride your bike with the Maxxon attached as a rear light.

Designed to be a universal no wiring required device it serves as an expensive rear blinker light that warns traffic around you that every time we hit a bump it will look like we are breaking. Do you know the story of the Boy who Cried Wolf?
This Maxxon is useless other than a pretend brake light. It has no idea if the bike is actually braking or not.

So where are the really great brake lights for motorized bicycles?
Simple switched LEDs would be great and some running and braking function would be excellent too.

I found Bluhm Enterprises Brite Lites: Xenon, LED & HID Lighting and they have some products @12V that might do.

I am happy with the LED design of the Maxxon. Maybe I can hard-wire the LEDs to a switch and just deal with it as a expensive dumb-controller?

I'm open to other ideas including soldering together a home made unit.

I like the safety of a brake light! Especially at night!

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
This is a shot for Luke..

You see how it was set up Luke?

The pipes are being fitted up so this is a bit of a goofball shot but that is the carb.

DSC06232_1024.JPG

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Good news! The Motors are here!

Now is the time for me to do the install. Reader may know I had a friend do the install first and that was exactly the right thing but here is the chance to install the Engine.

First off I see the front mount is a small for the tube-large I have so I must look that up or get with a machine shop.

DSC06552_1024.JPG

First let me search and see what I can. Two Photos.. Enjoy.

DSC06554_1024.JPG

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
On the Maxxon, I have not replied to the costumer support : alright that was a pun.

http://motorbicycling.com/f50/maxxon-brake-light-31336.html

The (above) thread I started on how to use the current version of the Maxxon Brake light on American (Nor~Cal) roadways..

I will give the reply to the Maxxon people some considerate thought. I think I will suggest a remote switch option and case is closed. I wired it and if I only knew how much amperage I should feed I'd do better than upgrading to AA from AAA.

I hope to advance to an actual builder. I started as someone who knew the most general things about 2-stroke and MaB-ing .. No Puns accepted..

I find it an interesting escape. A reprieve.

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hey guys!

While I know about mounting the engine from seeing it on the bike I would like to read more about mounting an engine on the bike.

I failed to find a thread on it. I remember seeing a how to thread some place.

Does anyone know of a link?

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
There are some nice mounts shown. I wish I had access to a mill.

I ordered the SPB front mount.

I still need to read more. What I am guessing is keep the carb level and the mounts flush?

I'll continue to read into that forum.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Keeping the mounts flush is more important than keeping the carb level.
Most carbs don't seem to mind being a little bit off level. The key here being a little bit.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Thanks.
Since I am doing this one I will have no one else to blame if I don't like the vibration this time..
I thought I saw a thread with a picture(s) showing something important. I failed to Bookmark for some reason.
I'm needing to pick back up reading after a sleep :)

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Update:

I have ordered the SPB's front mount so it will take a few days but today's modification is something associated with helping children ride a bicycle for the first times; the Balance Buddy.

My friend Dale pointed out the swing tail book rack moved too much and that I should consider panniers. Well with panniers I think having the down bars of a rear book rack aid in keeping the panniers out of the rear chains and wheel.
Then there is the rear end I have built up.

DSC06639_1024.JPG

Everything seems to "flow" and you can see the "bolt holes" in the bracket that holds the light unit.

Now on this "Balance Buddy" I hope the local bike shop has another rear kickstand since I will count on the mount for it to offer me an attach point for the "balance buddy" on both sides of the bike.

So I will get that kick stand and hit up the hardware store again. I think bending some all-thread will be part of the upper mounting brackets. I don't have an exact plan on that.

Well by sun down I hope the balance buddy is on. It will look similar to the "Sissy Bar" of old but this adds more positives than negatives.

1. Adds stability to the rear end and protects the lights from damage if the bike falls over.
2. Allows Panniers to be mounted and limits cargo from sliding too far back on the lights.
3. Allows Bikini wearing roller blade-ers to get a tow easy and classy. (See Below for Example)
4. Allows a single point lift human hand friendly.

So oddly enough this children's learn to ride a bike assist part turns into the piece that rounds out the rear end.

Okay time to head to the hardware store!

thebastardly_Babes_97776_francia_raisa_03161001.jpg

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Balance Buddy Modification
Okay, I found my way to the albums.

I started the "Balance Buddy" modification album.

I just had a fun chat with Scoto- about picking up chick with our MaBs'

So with his Tandem he has a great picker-upper and I too have one but I'll have to limit myself to a more select group.

Right now I have the mock-ed up back end and I must evaluate today before final hardware. I am going out for a night ride w/out motor so I can get a better idea of alignment of the seat with this modification and actually peddling it a distance.

I've been off of the bike since the first engine had a failure so this is the time to get out, ride and feel the bike motor-less with the new modification. So far I am better aware of the feel of the tires after an alley way ride.

To be clear this "Balance Buddy" is a structural modification to the whole tail end and includes the seat. It also happens to be a bit humorous since it traditionally a "child's accessory."
If I am to have panniers on and I want to protect the rear light unit assembly the Balance Buddy adds function in just the "bike" sense alone. It also, if my structural assembly holds up as i envision it might, then there is a possible Tow Capability.

BUT!! I am already planning the tow hitch so this tow capability is human in two ways. someone could hang but also it adds a hand lift spot that I will use daily.

------------

All this is projected. I hope it holds up but as they say do or die and trial and error is the ultimate teacher.

The General layout.

I purchased a rear kick-stand and saw that it used a bracket attach that looked good and worked well.
Later I picked up a couple of brackets minus the kick stand and have assembled an opposing bracket to the drive side kick-stand.
To that I have attached the the 'Balance Buddy."
Then on up to the Schwinn Book Rack and some local fab of some 1" stock.

It's complex and I have my hopes up.

AND it's good to share!

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I am happy with the structural results of the tail end. I will need to post some photos.

Tomorrow : New Engine and mounts ready. Time to mount a motor.

Still waiting for the battery case for the brake light and the switches I ordered are really small but workable.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Mounting the new motor with the Sick Bike Parts mount kit is good. The way I did it will be shown soon but I hope it is right.

I decided to mount it where the rear mount was square with the seat tube rather than try and grind and fit. This means my drive chain is short so I have to find out how to lengthen that.

Well the SBP expansion is now just a tad short so I will be extending that tube tomorrow by cutting and welding a new piece into it. That is a good thing as I feel longer tube is better since we had to settle for a "too short" tube with the previous mount according to the advice I read here.

This may also be a good time to build a better chain idler or do without.. I don't know. I picked up a sprocket idler off ebay so I have that. I was considering a hybrid of a roller and a gear together spring loaded to apply tension. I do not like the idler sound but hey it works.

That was it for today. I am waiting on a part for the electric and looks like I will be discovering what I need as I go on the engine.

I'll post pictures when this is final and running because I hate to back-track on posting what I did when it may change slightly.

Feels good except the clutch may need adjusting inside to spin free. I will see.

So much to learn and doing it day by day.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Thanks GearNut.

Today I am waiting for my friend Dale to have time to assist me with the bike, He owns the welder so it's up to his schedule. Along with that I need more chain and to pull and change the drive sprocket.

What I can do is mount the limit switch on the brake handle and hope the battery case arrives. That will complete the brake light system.

It's getting closer.

I have the foundation in for the hitch. I will be adding a trailer hitch and building a trailer of my own design if things go right for me and the space and hardware to mount the hitch is there now. That is the next big thing. I'd like to go long distance camping and want a bicycle trailer to take along other than the "truck" ( a kiddie cart ).

First things first.

90% is where I am at. I hope to be riding soon. I miss that.

Lets see how the day goes.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Update:

I have been carrying around in a backpack tools, tubes and the ilk, Very heavy but who can deny the utility of tools and tubes when they are needed?

I picked up this Bell Brand bag at Wallmart and this is a very well made bag. I say it is very well made!

The main thing is it holds the heavy duty tube I like so much.

I think there is room for first aid supplies too as well as the odd tools I need such as a slot screw driver for tightening the chain idler.

I found my Co2 unit for inflating tires so I think I can now pump the tire with the air pump to 50 ish PSI and then use the Co2 to push it up to 70 PSI.

So the issue is to have the ability to change that tube, fix that flat and get back on the way!

I didn't photograph the procedure that I used but I had a galvanized strap that is used with lumber (thin and about 7 or 8 inches long by an inch or so) that I used as an inside brace and I bent the ends so I could attach the sides to it as well as the back. I drilled and tapped into the old basket mount and put nylocks on the back as an added hindrance to theft.

It will not be easy to remove this Bell bag that is for sure.

Now I have the emergency tube (think thin) in a separate bag under the seat and now can carry, as well, the spare heavy duty tube and tools without packing it into the back pack.

Slowly the utility of Motor assisted Bicycling is emerging. Some say I worry too much but when I get a flat and can relax about changing it because I also have a reflective vest on board so drivers can see me at night then it all becomes safe and sane. We do get flats especially as the tubes get thin from friction and ware.

I see a utility to MaB-ing that should make for an interesting two years I expect to ride this but we shall see.

So now there is a front bag with heavy duty tube and an emergency tube bag with reflective vest.
Panniers are on the list but I need a set that isn't any longer than a 12 pack of beer. It can hang down with the best but the room on the rack is a 12 pack long.

Tomorrow one way or the other I will make progress on the chain and drive sprocket. My friend is busy I assume.

Maybe the battery case will come for the brake as well.

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Today it looks like the exhaust will be modified to fit and the chain and drive gear will go on today.

I have been held up because the new motor is mounted higher than the first and so I must extend the exhaust two or three inches.

These two things are holding me up. The rest I can do here. My friend, who put the original kit on, has time this morning finally.
Also it will be time to take and post some photos.