opinions from female riders on build

GoldenMotor.com

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
My gf wants me to build a MB for her, and im thinking a 24" cranbrook would be a perfect starting point. the motor and assembly i know how to do but how can i make this the most comfortable bike for her?

feel free to post pics of your own builds as reference

thank you

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
are there any females on here ????

be sure to pick a bike that fits her is the main thing , something she can stand flat footed and touch the ground on , suspension and fat tires are nice , a wide comfortable seat is a must ...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's a little 24 incher I built for my nephew. I had to use a shorty spark plug to clear the frame but other than that the HT fit very well.
Tom

Attachments

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Things that I'd look for her..some mentioned...

Frame that she can climb aboard (lift leg over). Consider stopped and feet on the ground. Unless you customize a fuel tank.

Seat.. WalMart and other suppliers have a very comfortable seat. I have very little azz and need a good one for my bones.

Springer front end..much easier ride.

Handle bars, what ever is comfortable. I like the cruiser bars, detest apes. My .02

Consider dual brake lever.

My son and I built a bike for his wife of 4" 10" (she be mad if I didn't say 4' 10 1/2")

Here is another bike she can ride. This belongs to my oldest son. Also short and stocky.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
No really are there any women into this....? I'll gladly build a bike for any girl who wants to ride. Women on motorcycles are around one in several hundred right , I say vive la differance . But she's gota drink real beer or it's a deal breaker ...
In reality it's prob seat height and understanding the controls without being talked down too...they hate that.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Never, ever, under any circumstances 'talk down' to a woman. Even if she's 4' 10". :)

Don't expect her to grasp the mechanics of riding immediately because women's brains work different than men's, (not inferior, just different) but she'll get it eventually. In the interim, encouragement is the keyword. Oh, and comfort. A soft seat and low enough to reach the ground with both feet.
A step through frame is an option too. There have been several very successful step throughs built. See Silver Bear's.
Tom

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Tom always the voice of reason and wisdom ... Seems like this is a case for a step thru frame with a rack tank seat up ,comffie not over soft seat ,good grips and sensible easy control layout. Throw in some suspention ,maybe seat post or springer or both, then find a big empty parking lot and use tom's advice.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Never, ever, under any circumstances 'talk down' to a woman. Even if she's 4' 10". :)

Don't expect her to grasp the mechanics of riding immediately because women's brains work different than men's, (not inferior, just different) but she'll get it eventually. In the interim, encouragement is the keyword. Oh, and comfort. A soft seat and low enough to reach the ground with both feet.
A step through frame is an option too. There have been several very successful step throughs built. See Silver Bear's.
Tom
Really????? She's my daughter in law.

Attachments

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
My 2 bits....there are many frames out there that have a nice low main tube without being "girls" bikes. Reason I say this is that they will have lower seating position and much easier to step over. Some great examples are the OP cruiser in this section, and my Sims cruiser (see both in this section of the forum). Both have a top tube that dips low towards the seat. Look great, and easy to ride......hope that may help.
-Dan

Crazy Grandma

Jun 8, 2011
mission viejo, ca
I am a woman of 45 and lovin it. Just came on here today. I don't know **** and I will get wiser with a little wisdom from you guys huh? I have a 26" and am 5'5". Its a panama jack and at first I thought something was wrong with my nervous system cause I felt I was shaking on the inside. No I'm better now. Trial and Error. Its the engine. Don't baby your gals too much they are either gonna like or not. High maintance or not. I just need to know how to make sure its good amanual would work.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Hi Grandma, yeah we're all crazy here.

A manual?

Nah, we don need no stinkin' manuals...

laff

Even the install manuals are wrong, misleading and overly optomistic.

Yeah, we are all shaking on the inside too, comes from ridin' a vibrator.

Welcome to the club!

crystaldesigner

Apr 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Female here. I have plans to add a motor to one of my bikes which is why I have been reading up on a lot of the information that all of you have kindly shared on this forum. I agree with the suggestion of a comfortable seat and the suspension forks as well. I picked up a Avenir Classic Cruiser Saddle from Amazon for the comfort ($37). I would recommend painting the bike her favorite color. I agree on the dual brake lever for coordination ease too.

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
*helps CG and CD swat sausages aside* lol

I think the Cranny 24 is fine for a female build, but then I don't like anything too girly anyhow. Comfy seats and suspension are good options if your girl is into such creature comforts and function over form. I'm used to my steel track bike (everything is skinny and rigid 0_o) and as a result my mb build is more form over function and I'll sacrifice comfort for looks. I sorta wish now that I had bought the Cranny 24 so I could put some Skyway mags on it (again form over function.) Girl it up for her. Paint the frame (may I recommend Montana Gold... unless she likes burgundy, of course.) Recover the seat in an awesome material, I redid my cranny seat in glitter vinyl. VHT makes pink and purple engine paint even! Deck it out with colorful bits from the bmx store, like anodized bar ends, axle nuts, colorful brake cables and grips, etc. So many possibilities!