Clutch Pucks upgraded anyone?

GoldenMotor.com

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i havent looked into mine but if their made of rubber tire, try siping them with a razerblade. works on tires and shoes just cut 50% down so you dont lose chunks, sintered or metalic might grab too much causing heat and warpage of the plate, i've worked on many clutches from hondas to peterbilts but i havent seen the ht yet. just a thought. dennis

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i havent looked into mine but if their made of rubber tire, try siping them with a razerblade. works on tires and shoes just cut 50% down so you dont lose chunks, sintered or metalic might grab too much causing heat and warpage of the plate, i've worked on many clutches from hondas to peterbilts but i havent seen the ht yet. just a thought. dennis
There will not be a heat issue, these clutches are not under that much of a strain and if used right dont do enough slipping to produce very much heat, that will not be an issue on these engines IMHO, the heat is produces when the clutch fails to engage instantly, so how can it "grab to much"

Peace

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
mine has a lot of heat build-up on the inner plate. when i was messing with it and doing test runs, if you touched the inner plate it was really hot. not enough to melt the pucks, but enough to glaze them over. and enough to jerk your finger back from, but not hot enough to blister.

i drilled a few holes in the front and back of the cover to provide some cooling airflow.

dunno if it helped much.

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The pucks I have on my HT looks like some compressed paper/fibers with bits of wires in them(not same material as the rug joint) , like someone posted on the previous page.

I have accidentally pulled the other one into halves, now i am missing a puck :)

It'll be great to know what other materials we can use for these.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The only time the clutch should generate heat itself is when it is being engaged and then disengeged, Ect.......... this causes it to slip just a bit in the process so in this way yes it will create some extra heat plus these little engines seem to run a little hot also, IMO....???? a high grade material designed for industrial clutches like I have should work better and last much longer under the high heat conditions, I will know this as soon as I get a set made and test them, been real busy, in the process of building us a new 1600sq. FT. shop building, then I will have the extra room I need to do a lot of things.

First time we get a rainy day when I cant work on the new shop I'll be in my current little work space making up a set or 2 of the pucks, I plan to send one set to someone I choose here on the forum so more than just myself will be conducting the test run to see if this material is a good choice and holds up well and if it does then I will be making up as many sets as I can for purchase, if it turns out that I can make them at a reasonable cost to me so intern I can offer them at a good price, I will offer them for sale here on the forum to those who feel they need or would just like to have a better set of pucks, I will need to make a little something to cover my time and expense but I hope I can offer them at a cost that the majority will see as good & fair.

Only time will tell so , wish me good success and we'll see how this all goes.....

I wanting to get started on this project, but my little lady has me a little bogged down right now with things she thinks are more important than " MY TOYS "....as she calls them...!

Ya gotta love-em, they're just doing the best they can, but they will never think like us fella's and that's just the way it is, actually this is probably a good thing.......!

Peace

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
sounds cool!

as far as mine generating heat, it was mostly because the clutch slipped ALL the time because of the torque my modified motor was putting out.

Yeah I know what you mean bairdco,

one of mine has such high compression that it's super hard to get started because when I pop the clutch it just slips, I have less than .010 between piston and head touching, I shaved the crap out of the stock slant head, it pull pretty good with that extra compression but I'm on my 3rd set of pucks with just over 200 miles and on my other stock engine I have 854 miles on just the 2nd set of pucks and the first ones weren't all that bad yet.

I need something better real bad on the H C engine, I'm so dang tired by the time I get it cranked sometime I dont even feel like riding anymore.....LOL

I got it started and went on a 18 mile joy ride yesterday with a not so good seat on it anw woooo weeee, I could be a star in a show called saddle sore canyon......LOL

I was wore out time I got it started and then it beat the crap outa me on the ride.

I will come up with some good durable pucks far this bike and hopefuly it will be so that I can offer them to others who are having the same issue, the stock pucks do fine on a stock engine in my experience, but when we start the mods and increased compression then that is when the trouble starts, I even have another mod in mind that might make these engines like ours hook up better, but I'm not gonna share that yet because it might be a waste of time and then again it might work great, wont know until I have the time to do it and see what the results are.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well guys I got my first set of pucks made today and installed in the bike I have that trashes the stock pucks because it is so high compression, did not have a chance to do much with it today but I did do a start up test and they grabbed very good and the engine just lit right off with no slippage of the clutch like it normally does this was never possble with the stock pucks even when new, I would have to ride and pop the clutch many times jsu hoping it would finally hold good enough at soem point to spin the engine, today I just got up a little speed dropped the clutch and it fired right up....I was very happy about that.

Now, I know this small test today really means nothing yet, I will not know anything for sure about the durability until put these through a few more paces but it is looking good so far I was very surprised that my custom pucks hooked up as good as they did.

I will be making another set to send to someone I pick to test a set as well so we will know if these are gonna be a go for replacing the stock ones.

The ones I made today are the round pucks but I will be working on making soem square ones also, I haven't tackled these yet but will soon, one of my engines has square an the other round and I know that there are many others on the forum who probably have the square pucks too, so I plan to make both round & square so we have access to either.

Hard for me to do the testing I want to right now, being that I am right in the middle of building a new work shop, but I will continue to post what I'm doing and what results I'm having as I work on these pucks.

Happy, safe, riding, all.....!

Peace

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
could you post pictures of what the round ones look like?

i'm very interested in this but unsure if i have the round or square ones.

i like that they locked up much quicker than the stocker did.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here are is a pic of the pucks, Round & Square

The Square ones are very time consuming to make by hand like I'm doing it now but I have some better tool sfor making the round ones so they are a little faster to turn out, if the ones we call square were actually square and not triagular with the bottom point cut off they would be much easier to make but with those angles that slows the proccess for me right now, I have an idea about how to make them faster but until i get my shop built and get set up so I can make some different tools I will have to make them by snail proccess.

Anyway is how they look, they are a tad smaller than the stock pucks, this is so they will actually move instead of just sticking into position.

Time will tell how they hold up and I will be posting results as I try these out...

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Those look leaps and bounds better than the factory pucks!
When you come up with prices I may have to give these some serious consideration.
Thank you for your efforts on improving another issue some of these HT's suffer from.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Your very welcome GearNut,

Yes I think they will work out good but until they go through some good testing we wont know for sure.

I know everyone out here isnt interested in the puck upgrade but to all of us who like things to just be better, work better and last longer, a better quality clutch puck IMO will serve us much better, especially those of us who have beefed our engines up a bit with higher compression and such.

we will know something before long I hope....just stay tuned to this post, I will be updating what I am seeing as I continue to test them.

Peace, Shan

Those look leaps and bounds better than the factory pucks!
When you come up with prices I may have to give these some serious consideration.
Thank you for your efforts on improving another issue some of these HT's suffer from.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's 4 easy who retired his bike. i still beat the heck out of mine every day.

mapbike sent me a set of pucks and i've got them in my bike now.

so far, they work awesome. i'll put them through the ringer and see what happens:)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Good deal, Bro.

Glad to here that the pucks are still hanging in there, been nasty here today and I've been pretty busy building my new work shop so I haven't had a chance to put many miles on mine yet, only 20 or so miles so far, and my bike is not running very good right now, changed carb. and exhaust and now is running very rich, but as soon as it dries up and I have the time I'll get-ur tuned real nice again and put some miles on it and see how my personal luck ends up with these pucks...so far so good though, they really hook up and I dont have the slippage problem now that I did with the stock pucks, fingers and toes crossed and hoping this material turns out to be a winner.

Peace all and great news Bairdco.!

dance1

that's 4 easy who retired his bike. i still beat the heck out of mine every day.

mapbike sent me a set of pucks and i've got them in my bike now.

so far, they work awesome. i'll put them through the ringer and see what happens:)

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
If you need another Beta tester I volunteer :)

I have a Puch Hi-Compression head on a 66 cc BGF Z80. It's still fairly new, well, low milage. I took the clutch cover off and there was a large pile of ground off rubber I had to clean out. The pucks were worn down to the fabric. I then bought the wrong pucks :p Got square and needed round.

I just might go the route of contacting McMaster-Carr, I've bought from them before. Making my own from brakeband material could be what I need...unless your ready to sell the rounds.

I'd even PAY to be a Beta tester, I think it's that important ;)

kojak

Feb 2, 2011
Is the clutch material meant to engage on both sides? The replacement clutch puck I got from gasbike were some kind of fiberboard/rubber mesh and solid rubber on one side, just like the ones I took out of my motor. I replaced them the same way the stock pads were installed, with the rubber side facing inward, though I was tempted to alternate them.

I did spend some time wearing out some razor blades cutting them down so that they fit loosely; after all that work I could have just mad my own from some Mcmaster clutch material like another member suggested.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You did the right thing by fitting them the way you discribed, if they move freely they will hook up on the flywheel and the pressure plate much better, and when it comes to resizing those stock pucks, a bench grinder and a good eye for not taking off to much will get them resized very quick.
Is the clutch material meant to engage on both sides? The replacement clutch puck I got from gasbike were some kind of fiberboard/rubber mesh and solid rubber on one side, just like the ones I took out of my motor. I replaced them the same way the stock pads were installed, with the rubber side facing inward, though I was tempted to alternate them.

I did spend some time wearing out some razor blades cutting them down so that they fit loosely; after all that work I could have just mad my own from some Mcmaster clutch material like another member suggested.