The Bike Machine

GoldenMotor.com

jhensersky

Aug 16, 2010
wisconsin
It is, as you might guess, an engine for a bicycle. It has a friction drive.

I bought one at a rummage sale and apparently, it was never used. Never had gas in it.

Except for a few specks of rust on the friction roller, the engine was spotless.

There is no manual and an internet search for info produces little.

And K & S Industries is no longer in business.

I did find a pic on the internet (see attachment).

So I put the engine on the bike, put in a new spark plug, and put in gas & oil (16:1).

It won't start for me though.

I took it to a small engine guy and he couldn't get a spark from it. He said the spark plug was probably not the culprit. He didn't want to look at it further because he figured he wouldn't be able to find parts for it.

So I am stuck with an engine that probably would work just fine if I could just figure out what it needs.

Attachments

jhensersky

Aug 16, 2010
wisconsin
TO Mr. BiMoPed -

I have a Grubee engine also and the manual says to start out with 16:1,
so I thought it would be wise to do the same with The Bike Machine since it was apparently never
used.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
You need to go to scooters they have a few things about it.Iwent to the site again and came up blank.Do a bing search for k&s bicycle motor,thats how i found the info.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Maybe it was never used because they couldn't get it started. At any rate, I'd be thinkin the coil needs to be tested if there's no spark. Find out what type and make of motor it is and then ask away with any questions you have....there is a wealth of information here and people are more than willing to help.

It looks like a pretty cool and compact kit, I'm sure it's an easy fix. Remember the old Chicken Power front wheel friction kits?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Odds are K&S made the drive and used an off the shelf motor so parts may not be as hard to find as your mechanic thinks. Either that or he just doesn't want to spend the time to find out what the motor is, that's where you come in. If you can find who made the motor I'll bet parts are still available.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Did a search on the numbers on the motor and found this site

Vintage Bicycle Discussion Area

a guy there named cosmo seems to know a lot about these but his posts are all from 3 years ago.

One post says to clean the points of you have no spark and they say to run the motor at 40:1

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Jhen

Good Pic`s, It`s A Nice Unit. They Way Over Built The Friction Drives Mounts Back Then.

I Think The Ignition Will Be Under The Flywheel On The Clutch Side.

When You Take It Apart (motor Off The Drive Housing) Measure Across The Clutch Shoes. It Will Be 54mm Or 76 Mm. The Motors Under 30cc Usually Have The 54mm Clutch.

I Have 3 Honda 31cc Motors That Have The 76mm Clutch (clutch Drum Is 78mm Id). Also Have 2 49cc Tecumseh Motors That Have The 54mm Clutch.

The Most Common Clutch Is The 76/78mm. If It Has The Large Clutch There Are Several Motors That Will Fit.

I Think You Have A Minor Problem, Like Stated, Just Some Cleaning. Imo You Have A Quailty Motor There.

Ron