Schwinn Windwood with Skyhawk 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

Don Quixote

May 25, 2010
Seattle
My build will be a Schwinn Windwood (Red and White with chrome fenders) with a Skyhawk 66cc engine. The engine was purchased from Spooky Tooth Cycles out of Bisbee, Arizona. They sell all their engines (48cc and 66cc) for $150 + shipping.
The front engine mount on the wide down tube was solved with a bracket from sickbikes.com out of Duval, Washington.
I am having a problem lining up the chain from the rear sprocket with the motor drive gear. The chain will rub the tire and the fender. I have considered installing thinner tires and bending or cutting a notch in the fender.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

May 25, 2010
Seattle
Thanks Camlifter for you reply.
Yes sometimes the windmills become giant monsters.
Yes I have the srocket dished side out like this ) .
I am still working on the problem.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Whatever you do don't trim the fender to clear the chain (that's where my rear fender broke in half) just carefully bend it flat to clear both the chain and tire.

One other thing, you don't necessarily have to go with a skinnier tire just a different design. When I switched out the original tire that came on my Cranbrook (probably the same tire that's on a Schwinn) to a Duro brick tread 26x2.125 tire I had way more room for the chain.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

May 25, 2010
Seattle
I am listening.
My rear sprocket is mounted dished side out like this ) .
Don't trim the fender and consider Duro brick tread 26x2.125 tires. I found them online. I will try photos after more attempts at alignment.