Carb weirness...

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Went on a nice long ride yesterday after work, so long that I actually ran out of gas and had to use my reserve bottle to get home. Within a mile or two of stopping to fill up I totally lost power and the bike was acting like I'd run out of gas again. I reached down, closed the choke and the motor picked up a bit. I opened the choke, pulled in on the clutch and the motor revved right up and started running perfectly again. About ten minutes later it did it again and I cleared it up by just pulling in the clutch and going WOT for a second then it ran great the rest of the way home.
The whole episode was a little unnerving since I was about 15 or so miles from home when this all happened.

It's weird because I know it's not a problem with gas because I filled the tank and spare bottle at the same time but the problem happened right after I put in the reserve gas.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Sounds like you had some crud in the fuel and either it eventually got sucked through and blown out the exhaust, or it found an area to rest and wait at the bottom of the float bowl.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Kev,
Running out of fuel in anything is not a good idea. There are suspended solids in even a clean tank and fuel mix and when you pull the last of the fuel out of the tank you get a concentration of that crud. I'd bet that the fuel petcock/filter/ needle valve might have been partially clogged then it washed through. Just to be on the safe side I'd pull the float bowl off and check and clean it before your next long ride. Just my thoughts.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Ended up being a case of I should have known better. I always figured the filter on the petcock would be good enough and an inline filter was overkill.
I pulled the float bowl off and found some little slivers of black plastic which ended up being bits of the threads from the cap to my reserve bottle. Pulled the petcock and found a nice little tear in the screen. Needless to say the screen is cut off the petcock and I have a nice paper inline filter now. :oops:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Job well done!
I must say though, I do like having a screen protecting the fuel valve. It keeps large debris out of the system; objects that could clog the small passages inside the fuel valve or tear the rubber seal inside it when it is turned on or off.