Headlight

GoldenMotor.com

john8460

Aug 16, 2009
USA
I heard that you could use the white wire for a headlight, and I was just wondering how to do it.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
There have been several posts in the forum about this very subject. Yet there is still no sure fire way to have this happen that I have seen. If you look around here you can find many great Ideas that may work for you. There are posts here from everything from fabricating your own from a tin can with some led's to purchasing one from one of the members here...Unfortunately I don't remember which thread has this info.

I'm still kinda a noob here but I run mine from a light I made and it runs off a 6v battery. Take a look at these they might help give you some ideas.

BIKE LIGHT "Commuter" under 5 bucks By Veggiecycle
BIKE LIGHT 500 Lumen "Mt.Bike" for under 10 bucks by Veggiecycle

ESR 750 electric scooter - Go-ped - Electric Bike or Scooter - Batteries Plus

Sorry for the lengthy response, I tend to ramble. But as the members here helped me I want to try to help others. Sometimes that takes pointing out a new possible solution. If you are determined to use the white wire then you may find the solution for us all but until then, have a look at the MB Forum of knowledge.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've converted a number of old bicycle lights by removing the original incandescent bulb and housing and replacing them with LED lights. What I like best is the tin can light I made this winter and just mounted on my American Flyer. It has 18 little LED lights inside which draw little juice and run off the engine.
SB

Attachments

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Thanks for the back up SB. You see these guys are on top of things here in the forum and you will get plenty of sound advice and plenty of viable and solid information. the only warning I will give you is be careful these are........addicting!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
John,
The most important thing to keep in mind is that the white wire produces anything from about 6 volts to 9 volts AC (depending on engine RPM) but the wattage available is very small; something in the 2.5 to 3 watt range so the lamp/s you choose to use can not be a higher wattage. Going too big on wattage will act about the same as grounding the white wire which will kill the engine. LEDs seem to be the best bang for the buck as far as illumination when compared with 3 watt incandescent lamps. Also to complete a circuit you must run a ground wire from the lamp to either the engine or the bike frame if the engine has a good electrical connection to it.

Tom

Last edited:

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Im making my self a head and tail lamp with led's myself. I was wondering what kind of current the motor produces. From the previous post, im assuming something like 500 mA.

Im also having a little trouble figuring out what kind of configuration I need so as not to burn out the LEDs. I have 6 white leds that run at 3V and 25 mA, and then one red that runs at 1.5V and 20 mA. As I see it, Im going to group the white ones in parallel, this will drop the voltage to 3V in the circuit and then run this assembly in series with a 50 Ohm resistor, to drop the voltage to 1.5 V, and then to the red LED and back to ground.

Does anyone see any flaws in my logic? ... I 'effin hate circuitry.