muffler/noise

GoldenMotor.com

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
Oh by the way, I think I just found the cause of the loud snapping/crackling sound: a piece of the muffler gasket is missing. It looks like it melted and fell out. Guess I'll make the trip to the store for some better gasket material. Anyway if that's the case then this thing might actually be as quiet as I want it when I'm done! I'll let you know.

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
OK for now I have finished and these are the results: it works great. the problems of leaking fuel and the loud popping sound have been solved with new gaskets. The problem with WOT was indeed due to restricted airflow. I replaced the sponge with a paper air filter, which is what these new photos are of. So now the bike runs great, quiet, powerful as it's ever been, and I'm happy with it. The whole air intake silencer as it is right now is a first try, so it was built with function in mind before looks. But now that I have good function, next step is to make it look good. I saw some high-airflow filters that looked like KNN filters, which are what I will probably move up to, just for the good looks. Also, the grey box has gotta go, since it no longer serves the function of housing a sponge.

I would however, still like to make the chain noise quieter, although I don't know if that's possible. Maybe a little grease, but the sound has always been there even when it was brand new. So if anyone has any input on that, that would be great. I'll also search the forums for more info on chain noise.

Thanks to everyone for all your input and help!! I love the new sound of my bike!!

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice, the great thing about these projects is when you develop something yourself and it works like you want it too :D

The thing about quieting the chain - other than keeping it lubed, the only way to make it quieter would be to get a set of quality sprockets and chain and even then it's only a marginal decrease in noise. I suspect the "rag joint" style of mounting the rear sprocket (guaranteed to be off center) and the idler wheel contributes to the racket, but if it's bent inline with the chain than there's not much more to do.

Manic has quality sprockets and I'm sure you've heard of his adapter: SPROCKET ADAPTER even separate from the noise issue, it cuts down on vibration and generally this is a fine upgrade to have.

I didn't build my bike for looks, I built it to go ;) The way I figure it, form follows after function and if it's well built and truly functional it'll looks fine to me :D