20" build

GoldenMotor.com

jimmy_matthews1975

Oct 24, 2012
pa
hi, i just moved to pa to go back to school. i sold my car(67 beetle) in order to have money to move and live. i recently was given a mongoose freestyle bike, and after a few beers and joking about it being my"motorcycle". i started looking into seriously puling this off. i havent seen any "smaller bikes on here, and i was wondering if it's because of the bikes themselves or the lack of kits available?
because i didn't bring alot of tools with me i don't want to do anything too crazy,yet.( i am one of those people who tends to go overboard with projects lol). i'd like to do something low cost since i only have a part time job and school full time.
any suggestions?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum jimmy.

Most of the reason you don't see smaller bikes is because you need a certain size frame to mount the motor.

Now this does not mean it cannot be done in fact there is a few 20" build. Some mount the motor on a rear rack type of deal or shoe horn the motor into the frame. Others have just cut and chopped and welded until the motor would fit properly.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard, JM,

A mongoose might be real handy for a friction drive rack mount!
There's a buncha vids on youtube of them with chainsaw motors.
Both front, and rear wheel drive...

Good luck
rc

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
If you need to rely on the bike for transportation, think about this carefully. It takes quite a bit of work to make the an MB legal in Pa. All it takes is one cop having a bad day and your MB could be impounded.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hi Jim, Welcome to MB.com. I've done a lot of 24" builds, I've just always considered a 20" a little too small for an adult rider. The 24" Schwinn OCC and the Huffy Jesse James bikes make for some very cool builds, although they ride pretty stiff. Too much so for this old man.
But hey, If you can stuff an engine into a 20 incher and thats what you want, go for it. The one thing I've always said is, IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
fatdaddy.
P.S. For a bike that small, I recommend using only a STEEL frame. The engine vibration would tear apart an aluminum bike.

Last edited: