battery

GoldenMotor.com

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
I have a question for anyone in this forum that is good with electronics,as I am not!!:confused: I have a couple of sealed lead acid rechargable batteries 12 V 3.6 A/H. And would like to recharge them when needed with a simple 12 V transformer(input 120VAC 60 HZ--output 13.5VDC 500MA). is this OK? and how long should I leave the charger on? thanks for any info Mac

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Motormac,

You need to be more specific. There is no such thing as a "simple transformer", that converts AC to DC. 120VAC to 12VAC is a simple transformer.

If you are attempting to use an AC adapter from a radio or other appliance...don't. It will overheat!

Buy a cheap, 2 amp, trickle charger that is made for this application.

Jim

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Thanks for your reply Jim, it is a transformer from one of those battery boosters that you use to jump start a car, ok so I will not use it and that is why I asked on this forum. Thanks again Mac

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
You can get a duracell brand trickle charger at Target for $20, you can hook it up overnight to charge and it does a good job. I used it on my SLA battery on my MB and its great.

There are 3 connectors that come with it, one to perm hook to a battery, one with traditional charging clamps and... one other than I can't remember what it does. I have the permanent one hooked to my battery. I go out ride and then when done plug it in. Simple and easy.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ah C.E. Wally World sells a 29.00 2Amp and it has auto shut off. Better? Harbor Freight has one two. DON'T mess with battries until you know what your doing! They WILL explode. And I mean EXPLODE! Learn more before you do this, (some more). Don't want to see ya' hurt. They give off gases as they charge. Learn More.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Saddletramp,

Did I goof on this one?

I guess I should have asked about the battery before recommending a standard 2 Amp trickle charger.

My Lithium polymer batteries for my RC helicopters are very sensitive to charge rates...BOOM...FIRE...ruined!!!

Jim

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ah, I remember it like yesterday. 3000.00 paint job on a chevelle. 6K in the motor. Just stopped by the auto parts store to say Hi, to my friends and went to pick up my girlfriend, and BOOM! Moved my hood and fender about 1/2 a foot. If the hood would have been up, three people may have died.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Motormac,

Refer to the battery manufacturers' recommendation for charging. You should be able to find it online.

Any charger that is in spec should work fine! Brands shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry for jumping to a conclusion about the right charger. Sometimes I forget how much technology has changed.

Jim

brandongordon2002

Apr 26, 2009
stoney creek ontario
Hey guys, im good with electronics but i have a question, im wondering, how can i have a battery, and a lighting system and have my magneto charge the battery without using a rectifier to convert it from ac to dc so i can charge the battery? I have a ni-cd 7.2v 1300mah battery pack from an r.c car that would work on 2 light for an hour or 2, just i need to know if my magneto would charge that battery pack?

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I just finished my first build to the point that its ridable. Going out to buy some accessories this week at one of the Latino Lowrider bike shops here in San Diego. One of the accessories will be a headlight. Started thinking about running the headlight off the white wire but realized its brightness will vary with engine speed unless I hook up a regulator and a battery to keep the light constant.

Being an old Triumph motorcycle rider, I remember the bikes had a zener diode with huge cooling fins that would keep the voltage going to the battery at an even 12 volts. Havent checked into that yet but was wondering...

Are there any electronic engineers here who could post a schematic for an easy build 6v regulator for motorbikes???

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I’m testing mine now with a simple zener regulator. Looks like this:

(battery +)---[ I< zener ]---/\/\/\/---(battery -)

I’m using a 6.8v 5watt zener diode but even a 1 watt should be enough. The resistor is a 10ohm, 10watt power resistor but a 1 watt resistor should be enough. If you use the 5watt zener, you might just use it by itself across the battery to provide a hard voltage clamp.

(battery +)---[ I< zener ]---(battery -)

The output of the white lighting wire is minimal. If you use a 6V lead acid battery, you probably do not need a regulator, just a rectifier diode to charge the battery.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Be sure to use some sort of cooling fins for the zener diode. Unused current is released through heat. The Triumph motorcycle zener diodes are set in huge cooling fins.