just looking for some relitivly cheap entertainment.

GoldenMotor.com

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
just looking for some relatively cheap entertainment.

I am a 30 year old former VW (air cooled), current Bultaco (if you don't know ask your dad or grand pa) and jeep xj (4.0 4wd optimized for MPG--22.5+ on the freeway with cheep gas-- because despite my 3 kids I can't face a mini-van... yet) enthusiast who tends to spell things wrong. I bought my motor kit because I realized that I could feed my 'tweak and modify' habit for at least a year for less than the cost of entry to any of the other "clubs" I have belonged.

I think the 80's were a cultural high water point in the US of A, peaking around 1987 (space age love song may some day be viewed as the pinnacle of 20th century western culture). I think John M Keynes over emphasis the role of government in the function of economies and that people are generally good but government involvement in the care of the poor and destitute deincentivizes everyone from looking out for their neighbor, not good. I think that ultimately who and what you believe is governed more by your choice than by facts, logic, and discernable evidence, as it should be. I would rather have politicians in office I disagree with but trust to follow their moral compass than one I think I agree with but don't trust. I also like to sound like I know what I am talking about, but I am making it up as I go along like every one else.

I think if you are going to ride a bike on the road you should take a motorcycle safety course with a classroom and range component, a math based physics class, and an advanced first-aid certification class. This because you need to know what should happen, what could happen, how to avoid it, what will happen to you if you don't (in graphic detail), and how to help others when they need it. (I did not feel that way when I was 14)

Last I believe that we have engineers because failure is inevitable. Their job is to decide where and why it will take place and when I change things I need to know where they put the weak point and why because my better could make things a whole lot worse when things go bad.

I believe the best looking custom vehicles are built out of junk but still manage to flow together and just look 'right'.

And that is who I am

As far as my setup goes,

I am starting with a Pacific Cycles Schwinn and the Bike Berry 66cc Flying Horse Black Angle Fire kit. I am swapping the front fork for a 1 inch stem rst omni shock I salvaged so I can run v brakes and soak up the bumps. I am trying to come up with a front fender strut failure system so I don't end up in the hospital when the mounting bracket fails.

In the long run I would like to build my own expansion chamber and tune it. Because it is a two stroke I like the idea of rotating the motor 180 degrees and tiping it to to the front 90 degrees so it is lying on the carb. I will need the motor to spin backwards and I assume the electronic ignition pickup will be the biggest problem, but I am usually wrong about these is things. (Think jack shaft setup without the jack shaft.)

I don't plan on ever taking this unit any faster than I can peddle it, 18-22 mph, see my engineer comments for why.

If I ever find a closed course and people to race with here in Idaho I may build a 'race bike' out of a '77 British Raleigh 10 speed that I may push to 35 or 40 mph. If I don't, my next project will be a trail rig... I think.

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
First off, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of friendly, talented and creative builders here.

I think you may have lost me with the idea of turning the engine 180 degrees and turning it 90 towards the front. I'm not sure why you would want to do so.

Maybe you can better clarify why you would want to take something as simple as the way it's designed to function and make it more complex than need be.

Anybody here will tell you that getting these cheaply made toy engines to run correctly and with any degree of reliability is a challenge in itself.
They are what they are. They will never be what they aren't if that makes any sense to you.
I'm not trying to discourage thinking outside the box but for all practical purposes build your bike, ride your bike and have fun with it, that's what its all about.
There will be a lot of obstacles to overcome many of which I'm not sure are feasible, but I don't claim to know everything by any means.

Anyway I wish you luck and will be interested in seeing how this will progress.
TiM

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW!

That's a lotta philosophy in there!

Welcome aboard.
Yup, there's plenty to fiddle with on the cheap with these chinagirls.

180 with a 90 roll could work with intake/exhaust mods... maybe if u friction drive kinda similar to WayneZ concepts with the predator engine.
Not sure it would be worth it, but it would be fun to do...

Best
rc

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Welcome to the club, trug.

Ahh, VW Bugs....1775cc, dual 44's, small Norris cam. JMO, the best all-around motor for Bug, Ghia or Bus. Starts up every time, runs like a charm, super dependable.

Believe it or not, you'll find all-around engines like that here.

Have fun! This hobby is relatively cheap but TONS of fun!dance1

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Trug, I like yer "out the box" idea of mounting the engine inverted.

I have also contemplated the same idea. Not that there's any advantage, but just to be different and unusual. Would sure be a head turner!

If you use RC's idea, you wouldn't have to reverse engine rotation. Just use a chain driven jackshaft with a fricton roller driving the rear tire. Something like this jackshaft. DSC_1530.JPG

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
Thanks for the welcome

Ya, that intro was a bit heavy on the philosophy, i think how to keep your vw alive had a larger impact on me than it should have. (You have to read the book to understand-- Amazon.com: How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot (9781566913102): John Muir, Tosh Gregg, Peter Aschwanden: Books )

The attached pic is kind of what I'm thinking

the scale is probably off by a bit and the bike I drew it on does not have a derailleur but that is the idea. I think it would be less complex than a jack shaft shift kit and save some weight. I imagine the carb will be turned to the side not strait ahead and the motor mount system will be messy but at this point it is a theoretical exercise.

thanks for the ideas on the friction drive as well

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. You can build these machines very cheaply or you can sink thousands into them. These motorbikes adjust to your budget.

Reactions: allen standley

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Ok now I got the picture. You could still reverse rotation without changing engine rotation.
Simply fab a mount in front and below the chainring, to take a toothed idler sprocket, and run the outside of the chain instead of the inside,against the freewheel sprocket.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ok...

Nah, I ain't gonna post that... lol

I once had a 59 vdub delivery van.
double doors on both sides.
could toss things right through the van! lol

Patched the motor continuously.

They are good motors.
I guess they burned dirty, so no more...
Too bad.
rc

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome to THE Forum. Looks like you will fit right in. Now I'm going to spray Laundry Soap on my Jeans, Put my Helmet on, grab my motorized MTN bike and go riding in the rain. If I find mudholes even better :) (c)

BlueFinisher

Aug 10, 2017
My first 33cc chainsaw engine motorized 20inch bike was a horrible failure, But hey ,I was only about 16 years old at the time. Honestly I don't care how much I fail, it's all just fun to invent and discover what works or don't. Just have fun.

mattrgray

Mar 21, 2017
massachusetts
First off, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of friendly, talented and creative builders here.

I think you may have lost me with the idea of turning the engine 180 degrees and turning it 90 towards the front. I'm not sure why you would want to do so.

Maybe you can better clarify why you would want to take something as simple as the way it's designed to function and make it more complex than need be.

Anybody here will tell you that getting these cheaply made toy engines to run correctly and with any degree of reliability is a challenge in itself.
They are what they are. They will never be what they aren't if that makes any sense to you.
I'm not trying to discourage thinking outside the box but for all practical purposes build your bike, ride your bike and have fun with it, that's what its all about.
There will be a lot of obstacles to overcome many of which I'm not sure are feasible, but I don't claim to know everything by any means.

Anyway I wish you luck and will be interested in seeing how this will progress.
TiM
I think he means to spin the engine around and point it down so that the drive sprocket lines up with the chain rings and he can basically have a jackshaft kit.