Hello from modesto.

GoldenMotor.com

Atom209

Oct 4, 2011
modesto, ca
Just finished my first build about 2 months ago. This forum is a great help with trouble shooting, installation tips and info.

I bought the bike before ever thinking about a MB build, it was a challenge but well worth it.

GT Falcon, 66CC, MM adapter with 40T sprocket from Pirate cycle. I just recently purchased the HD-12 Ga front wheel with the Sturmey Archer drum hub from pirate as well. On my second gallon of gas so about the third tank. and everything is so far so good.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the helpful info.

P.S. Any others close to my neck of the woods??

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great looking build! Hello and welcome.

Lots of folks out your way so am sure you will have lots of folks to ride with.

Be sure to check out the events section. Group rides are a blast.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hey Atom 209!

Yo Brutha! Turlock here!

We gotta go for a "rally" friend. Modesto is deficiently in my range.

Atom209

Oct 4, 2011
modesto, ca
Sounds good, weather is starting to get cold and wet around these parts, but I'm definitely willing to ride weather permitting. My neighbor is just putting this finishing touches on a build as well so I'm sure after initial break in he'll be ready too.

mrleo

Aug 16, 2011
cal.
Hi Atom209 and ERNST. I live in Atwater no to far. Would like to meet up and check out the rides.As for the wether goes i think its now getting nice.
Leo

mac077

Nov 2, 2011
Fresno, CA
Hey, hey...Fresno here! I think we have a couple of folks in this neck of the woods and I would love to see everones machines. I have several 24" frames laying around but not sure of the space needed. I also have a tandem that I would absolutely love some help getting motorized!! Nice bike you have there!!

Atom209

Oct 4, 2011
modesto, ca
@ John: Done.

@ Mrleo, and Mac. Were definitely going to have to plan a get together/ ride some time in the near future.

I've done a few extra things to the bike since the photo was taken. So I'll upload some new ones very soon.

mac077

Nov 2, 2011
Fresno, CA
Do you know anybody down here in Fresno that can help me get started? I have several 24" frames and a tandem that I really want to motorize!! You have a great looking MB!!

Atom209

Oct 4, 2011
modesto, ca
I don't know anyone in Fresno who has built one yet. To be honest I got a ton of information just searching this site, goggling questions with the words "Motorized bike" at the end of the question.

Every problem I had someone had already dealt with. I just took my time and sat on issues that were a bit more troublesome. If you have any questions I will answer them to the best of my ability, or i may be able to find the answer as well.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Okay,

I did the carb, cable and throttle on and working.
I have to remount the front mount,

Once I have these things done a rally is possible!

Any ideas of a destination?

You will need a front and rear light for MPD a helmet is also something MPD will bust you for.
But they are not busting for no plate or M2 on the licence! So far as I know.

On a pile of frames.. I'd be happy to help but this is Atom's thread.
Drop a link on that thread!

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hi Atom209 and ERNST. I live in Atwater no to far. Would like to meet up and check out the rides.As for the wether goes i think its now getting nice.
Leo
I have not been to Atwater on the bike yet. That sounds like a good ride.
How are the Tacos?

Been to Snelling so Atwater is a go.

Atom209

Oct 4, 2011
modesto, ca
Helmet, M1 permit, and I've got the head light, working on a tail light...but thats only for night riding right. During the day you can used hand signals right?

Hey Ernst got a ??? About plug color on another thread (Engine trouble shooting) can you help? Not getting any response maybe I'll move it to electrical thread.

Atom209

Oct 4, 2011
modesto, ca
I looked at the plug color chart on another thread. I have run three tanks through thus far using a 20:1 The Plug was dark and oily. Now I bumped up to a 32:1 (maxima Pro castor 927) and installed a new NGK B6HS plug. I'm about a half a gallon into the new ratio and I still have a really dark oily plug. Will this clear up? Should I bump up the ratio?

P.S. Can I use break cleaner to clean a fouled plug?

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hey Atom

I'm not familiar with (maxima Pro castor 927) but 20:1 is heavy if I understand things right.

I am running Lucas semi synth. I too am at 32 to one but with the new carb it goes to 40:1 as soon as I use up this fuel.
That is 40 parts gas to one part oil.

You know I need to learn more about the plug test. Which thread is that (link) for me and others.

I have oil out my stinger so I know it is getting plenty. Stinger is 24 inches long.

As for mix ratios ya know 100 miles is the start. After 100 miles I feel better about 32:1 but I ran 16:1 I think for the first 100. I have to look again at the bottle.

But with the weather being cool the heat stress on the motor is also down and I understand that 40/;1 is not so bad with Lucas.

Might search the threads. There is a lot of banter on what oils and mix ratios as well as plugs.

As to that plug being dark was the electrode end grey? Grey-white?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Just finished my first build about 2 months ago. This forum is a great help with trouble shooting, installation tips and info.

I bought the bike before ever thinking about a MB build, it was a challenge but well worth it.

GT Falcon, 66CC, MM adapter with 40T sprocket from Pirate cycle. I just recently purchased the HD-12 Ga front wheel with the Sturmey Archer drum hub from pirate as well. On my second gallon of gas so about the third tank. and everything is so far so good.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the helpful info.

P.S. Any others close to my neck of the woods??
Welcome to the forum. It's always good to have more members joining us. Good looking bike that you built, this hobby can become expensive real fast if you haven't noticed by now. Take care and keep the pictures coming.
Frank

Atom209

Oct 4, 2011
modesto, ca
New pics.
I put a Garelli tank on it I found at the moped junk yard. I had it blasted and powder coated at a local shop to match as closely as possible. Also installed an Iron cross tail lamp, and a bullet head light, but I'm thinking of trying to convert the bullet to an LED that runs off of AAA.

Also reinstalled the rear fender...I dropped it lower to match the front ( but may be removing the front after the warnings I have read about) All in all its coming along nicely.

As far as it being expensive it not any more expensive then Target/Trap shooting or hunting, or snowboarding...all of which I enjoy but they all cost $$$.

I rode the farthest yet...nothing compared to some but it was nice. It was about 30 mile round trip thru town and down country roads to a place called Twin Rivers Saloon out on HWY 132 and Hart road. Has a Beer n some Tacos n headed home.

Attachments

Last edited: