Amsoil

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Quite few fellows are running one of the three Amsoil 2-stroke oils. See the for sale thread at the bottom for my special and oil description.

Mix ratio depends on the oil, your conditions,your fuel/air mix.

Saber is the most common and protects the best. 30:1 is even pretty oil rich with Saber. 40:1 is fine for a well broken in engine. The oil is designed to work up to 100:1.

I have been using Dominator at about 30:1.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i use the amsoil in my motorized bicycle gas tank andi think it is awesome. more expensive then regular 2 stroke oil but i want to get as many miles as posible out of my bicycle engine

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Saber™ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 136
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-36 (-33)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
114 (237)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 114 (237)

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Maxima 927

Gravity °A.P.I. 17.6
Viscosity SUS @ 100°F 617
Viscosity SUS @ 210°F 73
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C 133.1
Viscosity cSt @ 100°C 13.79
Pour Point, °F -5
Flash Point, °F 420
Fire Point, °F 480
Viscosity Index 99
SAE Viscosity 40

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Synthetic 2 stroke oil only lubricates as a liquid. Once it is "flashed"at 237 deg F it no longer works.

Maxima 927 doesnt'flash until 427 degF and when it does flash, it firms dry polymers that provide even better lubrication as a dry lubricant. Its high flash point means you 'll see unburnt oil in the exhaust. Contrary to what Amsoil dealers will tell you, this is GOOD and not bad. The longer it is a liquid, the better lubrication it can provide. Specs and facts can't be argued.

Oh, I did have a lot of training as a tribologist as a test pilot in the military. For what it is worth,we never changed oil in turbine engines based on a schedule. All oil was sampled regularly and sent to an oil analysis lab. Lab would let us know what action we had to take and what wear we were seeing in the engine.

I'll convert the specsfrom SUSto Cst when I have time for comparison.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Actually you can't tell a whole lot about a 2 stroke oil from a flash point. Because an oil flashes in an open or closed cup, does not mean combustion will be complete in an IC engine. There are different ways to make a very well protecting 2 stroke lubricant as you should well know.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Pablo, I respect your desire to promote your product which you believe in but Amsoil only surpasses a castor blended synthetic in ash content, smoke output, and low pour point.

Once an oil flashes it isn't there anymore to do its job. Its that simple. Synthetic oils have their place and AMSOIL has very good 4 stroke products. Its 2 stroke products do not have the same superiority over other synthetics and products as their 4 stroke products do.

In the rare event that a castor blended 2 stroke oil is overheated and flashes, it actually flashes to a dry residual filmlike varnish that is it by itself a lubricant. No synthetic can claim this. Is a castor blended oil perfect? Nope, it has its own drawbacks but I feel that it is the best option for a bushing engine or a roller bearing engine that is aircooled.

Would I ever consider using Amsoil 2 stroke oil? Sure, in a non chinese POS product that has some quality and engineering thought behind it. Using Amsoil in a chinese 2 stroke engine is like putting a pretty dress on an ugly girl...what's the point?

PS I hope I didn't offend anyone who is dating or married to an ugly girl.